Unreleased Shenmue II US Dreamcast Prototype

I just checked with this build of II and you CAN'T use American Shenmue I saves with this build.

Edit: I can't believe I actually forgot to add the 't in can't. I'm sorry for the mistake

Last edited:
This is incredible! Will need to look into burning this myself and having a play around with debug mode!

Oh man I can't believe some Shenmue II build with debug options has finally surfaced!
I've lusted for that kind of thing for a long time. Sadly it's kinda too late now that Shenmue I&II is around, this would've been an incredibly helpful tool when I was still doing Dreamcast stuff.

Still, have to dig into this myself. I know it's definately worth it.

Is the translation exactly the same as in the DC PAL version/"Shenmue I & II" remaster?

Is this simply a typo in this moment of the game or is she always referred as "Shahua" :oops: in this version?:

View attachment 13510
Very curious. Here's the same screen from Shenmue II DC PAL:

yhrwhYE.jpeg

And the remaster:
FRPzr5h.jpeg

I'm pretty sure in the American release of Shenmue on Dreamcast Shenhua's name was changed to Sha hua. They were probably gonna keep the name for the release of II.

Edit: this is from the Shenmue passport disc.

1637778365977.png

When Ryo meets the teenager, in the conversation where they get to know each other, she introduces herself as Shenhua (subtitle).

I have more the impression that it is a literal translation of the Japanese version. That they didn't change it to Shenhua.

Your theory is interesting.
Usually, the Japanese in katakana has her name written as シェンファ with the ファ transliterated as "fa," since the "hu" doesn't exist in Japanese.

Going back on topic, to this day I feel that cancelling the Dreamcast release of Shenmue II in North America was a big mistake.

When Ryo meets the teenager, in the conversation where they get to know each other, she introduces herself as Shenhua (subtitle).

I have more the impression that it is a literal translation of the Japanese version. That they didn't change it to Shenhua.

Your theory is interesting.
As @RyoHazuki84 mentioned, in Japanese her name is written as 莎花 - シェンファ (Shen-Fa).

If anything, I would actually guess that "Sha Hua" might be a more accurately 'Chinese' pronunciation. Although, I kind of hate to say that, because in that case 莎木 - シェンムー (Shen-mu) becomes 'Sha Mu.'

(Series about Sea World Orcas, confirmed!)

I'm trying to set up the DEmul emulator so I can check this out for myself (little did I realise what a pain it is to get it working!) I've managed to sort out the BIOS files but now I get an error message saying 'HRESULT=887a0004 Create Device And Swap Chain failed' - I can't get an entirely straight answer from Google but it may be something to do with the version of DirectX you have on your PC? Can anyone shed light on this?

I'm trying to set up the DEmul emulator so I can check this out for myself (little did I realise what a pain it is to get it working!) I've managed to sort out the BIOS files but now I get an error message saying 'HRESULT=887a0004 Create Device And Swap Chain failed' - I can't get an entirely straight answer from Google but it may be something to do with the version of DirectX you have on your PC? Can anyone shed light on this?
I don't think I ever managed to get DEmul to work, but have you tried Redream? Worked for me: https://redream.io

Back