Unpopular Perspective on Shenmue 3, Shenmue Anime and more...

Just to present a different perspective as food for thought

A lot of people didn't like S3 as it didn't tell much story, felt like filler and there was repetitive training elements, etc...

My opinion: Whilst I agree with the above, the game was obviously created in the way that it was for a reason. Whether that be budgetary constraints, or the uniquely slow pace that Yu wants to move the story along at. After all, isn't that why we enjoy Shenmue as a whole? Because it is so unique and different to the cookie-cuttie approach most games take?

I respect a creator of anything and what they see the creation manifesting as. I can only sit back, admire and enjoy what that output is. Whatever it is. It can be fair to say that Ryo's martial arts need to improve big time before the bigger fights against the CYM leaders... I can appreciate the journey that Yu wants to take a gamer on with that logic in mind. Whether he wants to take 4 games to wrap things up, or 10 games... that's really his creation and opinion that matters.

With any creator, giving them the space to create their ultimate output as they see fit... is usually the best outcome.

I also see some criticism of Shenmue Anime. I don't want to sound like a blind fan, but it is not really worth putting negativity out there on insignificant things just because they are told in a different way to the games (I read someone who was very vocal about how Ren is positioned in the Anime). I'd say that unless if you have direct expertise in developing games or a track record of consulting on high-performing projects in the gaming industry.... then you may be better off keeping negative opinions closer to the chest like I do. I don't have experience in the gaming industry and so I'm not really someone that should be so vocal with criticisms as I don't know the factors or considerations that come into play.

That is the perspective to ponder on. Unless if you're a gaming expert... Enjoy everything for what it is. Accept happily that if something is different to expectation, there is probably a reason for it that we may not see. Whilst this applies to any game, I thought that this community may resonate with this more given that we want to promote Shenmue in the best light possible (whilst staying genuine).

Food for thought :)

Last edited:
I don't agree at all with your stance on keeping your opinions to yourself if you don't work in the games industry. Consumers have the right to discuss and criticize products that are being sold to them. Be it games or tv shows, if you want me to consume it, then it should be of quality, and if I don't like it then I and you are free to say so. If there are odd circumstances going on behind the scenes, then that doesn't really have any influence on my enjoyment of something. Behind the scenes shenanigans is for them to sort out.

Accepting low quality doesn't benefit anyone.

Whether he wants to take 4 games to wrap things up, or 10 games... that's really his creation and opinion that matters.
As for this, no one lives forever. Yu must consider some compromises if he ever wishes to complete the series. Making 10 games is incredibly irrational and unrealistic.

The original Shenmue games were a product of their time and of extreme circumstances where Sega had the money to invest in the series and was confident in their risk taking. Shenmue 3 was a unique circumstance of crowd funding, a once in a lifetime opportunity where fans did what they could to make the game happen and publishers eventually wanted in on that as well. If 110 Industries publishes Shenmue 4, then that again will be very unique circumstances that I think will comprise some unusual compromises to get the game done.

We're far past the point of Yu Suzuki having the resources to take his time and create Shenmue to it's full potential. The games were a failure for Sega. This is just my opinion but I think moving forward and finding success will be dependent on what compromises can work in a way that doesn't hurt the telling of the story. I would imagine at this point that the grande scale of the original story has been reeled back significantly.

I don't agree at all with your stance on keeping your opinions to yourself if you don't work in the games industry. Consumers have the right to discuss and criticize products that are being sold to them. Be it games or tv shows, if you want me to consume it, then it should be of quality, and if I don't like it then I and you are free to say so. If there are odd circumstances going on behind the scenes, then that doesn't really have any influence on my enjoyment of something. Behind the scenes shenanigans is for them to sort out.

Accepting low quality doesn't benefit anyone.

As for this, no one lives forever. Yu must consider some compromises if he ever wishes to complete the series. Making 10 games is incredibly irrational and unrealistic.

The original Shenmue games were a product of their time and of extreme circumstances where Sega had the money to invest in the series and was confident in their risk taking. Shenmue 3 was a unique circumstance of crowd funding, a once in a lifetime opportunity where fans did what they could to make the game happen and publishers eventually wanted in on that as well. If 110 Industries publishes Shenmue 4, then that again will be very unique circumstances that I think will comprise some unusual compromises to get the game done.

We're far past the point of Yu Suzuki having the resources to take his time and create Shenmue to it's full potential. The games were a failure for Sega. This is just my opinion but I think moving forward and finding success will be dependent on what compromises can work in a way that doesn't hurt the telling of the story. I would imagine at this point that the grande scale of the original story has been reeled back significantly.
Thank you and I agree with you actually, especially in practical terms.

Perhaps the subtlety of my message is that - we tend to nitpick so much (myself included) but there is so much to enjoy and we'd be better to just focus on that and enjoy the experience that has been created for us.

I approached it without many expectations, and I played it at a pace of one in-game day per real day. As a result, I think I enjoyed it quite a bit more than some others. There was a quite a lot of detail to take in and things to learn about the NPCs and their relationships with each other. I can't really blame anyone for playing through quickly after being starved for more Shenmue for so long, but I think all in all it isn't intended to be played quickly/in multi-hour sessions. Having said all that, in describing it to some friends who haven't played it, I consider it this way... it was so focused on Ryo's training, that if it had been a movie, much of S3 would have been glossed over with a montage. But that's one of the joys of the difference in mediums between movies and games.

Back