Triggering the missing kitten sidequest

iyapol

Dried Fish or Fried Tofu?
Hoping someone can help. In my countless playthroughs of Shenmue 1, sometimes I trigger the sidequest, other times I don't. Is there anything specific you need to do to trigger it, or does it have to be done in a certain timeframe? Any help would be much appreciated - please put responses in spoiler tags as some newcomers may not want to know!

I'm not sure entirely but I know when i play the game I make it set in stone that every morning I take Milk and Dried Fish out to the Kitten before I proceed to where else I'm going :) It's one of the most endearing features of the game for me :)

Yeah, I always make sure I feed and pet the kitten most days. Also make sure you get the first kitten scene, which is triggered at the start of disc 2. Don't advance the story too much, as it's right at the start. If you see two of the kids standing by the kitten instead of Megomi, then it can trigger, the catch is it has to be sunny. I triggered it this time on a day it rained as the day turned sunny, so I ran back home, left home and sure enough the cutscene triggered.

I think you need to get the first cutscene to get the second one. The second one might have a weather condition too, I can't remember. I think it's around the time you are trying to find a way to Hong Kong. I haven't got that far in the re-release yet though.

There are several kitten cutscenes:
1. Megumi reveals the kitten. Visit the shrine before 7pm on your first day.
2. Kitten's leg is healed. Occurs on Disc 2 before showing the Phoenix Mirror to Master Chen.
3. Kitten's missing. Occurs on Disc 2 after showing the Phoenix Mirror to Master Chen.
4. Kitten on the roof. Occurs on Disc 3 before starting work.

I can confirm that you can't trigger the missing kitten cutscene unless you have triggered the healed leg cutscene. What a pain!

I'm still having all sorts of problems triggering this sidequest! I've gone back to an earlier save file. I've found the mirror in the basement, but I still can't get the second cutscene to trigger.

I missed the naming of the cat and I haven't been feeding it/giving it milk. I'm starting to think these might be factors now?

Also, it was a rainy day. Is @Reprise right in that the weather can have an impact? All I want is the trophy! I didn't realise it would be this tricky!

Both can have an impact. I don't know the exact conditions but I'm pretty sure you have to look after the kitten.

I managed to get it yesterday. Pretty much fed the cat every day (and night), and got the naming scene too. It worked Reprise said for me. Just got all the cutscenes about her leg being healed, being on the roof of the shire etc. Then when I was looking for info about getting to Hong Kong it just popped. I think it was the day after I saw the 2 kids (no Megumi) there. The first day they were there, but it was raining. I actually went home and waited in hope that the weather would change lol.

Next day it was sunny, went down and it triggered.

A bit of an update, I suppose. I went back to just after finding the mirror and just left the game until it stopped raining. It stopped on 10th December so I walked down to the shrine and I got the cutscene with Nazomi. I went back to the Hazuki Residence and then back to the shrine and Megumi was back. When you talk to her, you can have a conversation about grooming (no, not that kind!). I'm going to carry on to see if I get the missing kitten cutscene...

Last edited:
Finally! So I got the cutscene with Nozomi and rang Master Chan. I went through all the cutscenes, started a new day, spoke to Fuku-San about money to get to Hong Kong (you can't leave the house until you do this), and set off into Yamanose. It was snowing.

I saw Megumi staring at an empty box, spoke to her, and, hey presto! It triggers the sidequest.

This means two things:

1. You don't have to trigger the second cutscene about the kitten's leg as I only triggered the cutscene with Nozomi and that seemed to do the trick. That cutscene, like the kitten's leg cutscene, can only be triggered when it's not raining, snowing or night time.

2. It doesn't matter what the weather is like after you've taken the mirror to Master Chen. The missing kitten sidequest is not triggered automatically, but is triggered after a conversation with Megumi the day after you have spoken to Master Chen.

I really hope this helps somebody else because it's taken me hours!

I have yet to do this. I didn't get the healed leg scene but did take good care of the cat. Still not quite there.

The scene should be around the time trying to get the ticket? Listen closely and you'll hear that FREE 13 is playing. As long as that isn't the case the story hasn't advanced enough yet.

I have yet to do this. I didn't get the healed leg scene but did take good care of the cat. Still not quite there.

The scene should be around the time trying to get the ticket? Listen closely and you'll hear that FREE 13 is playing. As long as that isn't the case the story hasn't advanced enough yet.

I managed to trigger the sidequest without feeding the kitten or giving it milk once. I think that might be a bit of a myth. It seems to ride on getting either the healed leg cutscene with the two kids or the Nazomi shrine cutscene, and, as far as I can gather, these are only triggered if it's a clear day.

The cutscenes must be triggered before you visit Master Chen with the mirror.

Last edited:

3. Kitten's missing. Occurs on Disc 2 after showing the Phoenix Mirror to Master Chen.

i.e. anytime from "trying to get the ticket" to "Chai fight". You can trigger the cutscene on your way to meet Chai too.

Surprises me that it's still triggered when not feeding the kitten. I could've sworn that it doesn't trigger if you neglect the kitten.

Back