Thoughts on Sonic Team Racing?

Hi,

I was curious to see what other gamers here thought about the upcoming Sonic Team Racing? I gather there are a lot of SEGA fans here too. I'm not seeing that much buzz about it probably due to being overshadowed by the hype train of Crash Team Racing - Which I fully understand and am behind also!

I think the biggest appealing feature to STR is that if like the previous two games, it will feature a campaign mode with CO-OP! This is such a big deal as many racing titles like Grip & Onrush while great gaming experiences lack proper CO-OP functionality - Other than very basic VS modes which get old fast.

I'm also really hoping the game caters for SplitScreen further too - I've I can play SplitScreen with my friend and also compete online the game will be a Game of the year contender - So few games do this and it is the reason we played Rocket League for 3 years straight on a weekly basis! I'm hoping CTR does this too, but I'm pretty certain STR will have Co-op campaign which gives it the headstart in my books.

I do think it is a shame they dropped the SEGA licensing from the title though, I think beyond the initial main 6 characters the rest just don't stand out as much - Plus with SEGA IMO making a big comeback they should have utilised this title to do so more. Also I think it would have been Fun to have Kiryu from Yakuza compete against Ryo to settle such rivalries :p

But I'm pumped for the title, hoping all the best with it and have it Pre-Ordered for next months release.

Last edited:
I haven't really been following it, I was a little disappointed it was Sonic focused and not like Sega All Stars Racing or whatever it's called. But I'll definitely be paying attention at release...

Sumo made the greatest kart racer ever in All Stars Transformed, but I'm just not feeling this one at all. It's not just the lack of SEGA properties besides Sonic, the whole 'team' aspect seems like it'll be annoying. Good tracks and handling is all I want out of a racer, this seems like a distracting gimmick. I'll still give it a shot based on the quality of Sumo's past efforts though.

I haven't played such fun racer since mario kart double dash on then n64 and I am not familiar with the previous games of the devs but the new sonic all star game looks somehow interesting and funny. I won't get it day one but could be interesting for me as a budget title.

Back