The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

The IGN Japan review is the only one I’ve seen so far that was actually thoughtful about the game. Granted, I know the reviewer is a fan...but yeah, his review is the only one that has actually gave it a thought outside of “it looks like a Dreamcast game” or "it's dated and janky" or (in Giant Bomb's case) "LoL wUtS tHiS sHiT!?"

still waiting for Huber’s thoughts. The only opinion I give a damn about in the mainstream US media when it comes to this game, because everyone else is just repeating the same tired talking points without giving it a singular thought.
That review contains spoilers? Bc I'm still in Bailu..

Great point and very true. He was forthcoming about it. (It was the “rapid fire” interview for people that are curious)
I remember an interview (maybe with Spaniards?) that they said something like "is this... it? can you improove it?" and YS said "this is the best we've could done", talking about time and money of course.

Even with that red score from literally who, I'm confident we won't drop down below 70. Well, unless USGamer decides to be as harsh as we predict. We still need scores from EasyAllies, PushSquare and more. There is also a 4/5 not on Metacritic yet from Gaming Trends or whatever their name was. Their score is supposed to go Metacritic according to their faq..

Even with that red score from literally who, I'm confident we won't drop down below 70. Well, unless USGamer decides to be as harsh as we predict. We still need scores from EasyAllies, PushSquare and more. There is also a 4/5 not on Metacritic yet from Gaming Trends or whatever their name was. Their score is supposed to go Metacritic according to their faq..
At least whats-her-face isn't going to be the one reviewing it at USGamer. Still not expecting a great score, but it's (probably) a small blessing.

IGN Shenmue 3 review (5.9) "Shenmue 3 feels like a game that has ignored the innovation and progress of the last 20 years."

IGN Sonic Mania review (8.7) "Sonic Mania is the classic throwback longtime series fans have been clamoring for."

What do they do to stir the pot? Are they pro gamer gate?
I am pretty sure yeah, but i was more refferring to how they tend to have alot of shit about dem "sjws" and make a huge deal over censorship. Especially on twitter where they tend to take shots at other journalists every now and again which kind of blacklists them most likley.

I dont think they are all that bad personally, but they are controversial is all im saying, them not being on mc isnt surprising in the slightest. You can say polygon or whatever but im just saying why they soecifically are kind of soft blacklisted from alot.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure yeah, but i was more refferring to how they tend to have alot of shit about dem "sjws" and make a huge deal over censorship.

I dont think they are all that bad personally, but they are controversial is all im saying, them not being on mc isnt surprising.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I had never heard of them until they reviewed Shenmue 3.

Just a fair warning, let's try not to harass or mob anyone who leaves a negative review that gets counted on metacritic. Remain civil, they are allowed to have their opinions and frankly we all knew negative reviews were coming just like they came for Shenmue I & II. Celebrate the good, if you want to talk about the bad that's fine but don't focus on it and don't go out of your way to form outrage into a mob because that only makes the Shenmue fanbase look bad.

Bad press is still press, lets not give our attention to the bad and instead focus on celebrating the good reviews.

And Polygon doesn't? :whistle:
Yeah they do, and they suck, but im just stating why they are negatively viewed from the industry, agree or disagree with it but gamergate was poison for brands.
What makes this person more credible than nichegamer which I'm sure has a bigger site.
Ive explained several times why nichegamer is controversial.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I had never heard of them until they reviewed Shenmue 3.
I think theyve gotten alot better recently cause it seems their growth has made them shift a bit more professional. But they do still try to be that wild card outlet that takes shots at other journalists so idunno, they probably will always have a stigma.

Yeah they do, and they suck, but im just stating why they are negatively viewed from the industry, agree or disagree with it but gamergate was poison for brands.

Ive explained several times why nichegamer is controversial.

I think theyve gotten alot better recently cause it seems their growth has made them shift a bit more professional. But they do still try to be that wild card outlet that takes shots at other journalists so idunno, they probably will always have a stigma.
I'm with you when it comes to Nichegamer being controversial and all. But how does a guy with 46 followers allowed to impact the score of the game in such a negative way? What is the justification for this?

I'm not mobbing, or even hating them for their opinion, but I'm genuinely curious as to why that reviewer score is counting on such a big platform like Metacritic.

Last edited:
I'm with you when it comes to Nichegamer being controversial and all. But how does a guy with 46 followers allowed to impact the score of the game in such a negative way? What is the justification for this?

I'm not mobbing, or even hating them for their opinion, but I'm genuinely curious as to why that reviewer score is counting on such a big platform like Metacritic.
Cause the site hes attatched to is more important than the guy himself. Gamerheroes is known more for faqs than reviews but they are an established brand that metacritic probably has no issue verifying at a lower weight like they are. Like their dcore dropped the aberage 1 point so they arent like heavily weighted by any means

Cause the site hes attatched to is more important than the guy himself. Gamerheroes is known more for faqs than reviews but they are an established brand that metacritic probably has no issue verifying at a lower weight like they are. Like their dcore dropped the aberage 1 point so they arent like heavily weighted by any means
Alright, makes alot more sense!

Do we know who's reviewing for Gamespot? I think they are probably the outlet with the most weight Metacritic weight left that hasn't reviewed yet. Hopefully we can get above a 7, would really like to see the score become green, however unlikely it may seem right now.

Back