The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

The game isn't even out a damned week, the reviews aren't even completely all out, nor or any sales figures(which won't be worth salt til post-holdays considering BF deals or after Christmas sales) and here we all are "Welp, guess this is it. Good run guys."

Seriously?? It is currently at an overall Metacritic of 71, which I expect it to stay at. It may go up to a 72 or 73 with some surprise positivity. That is classified on a 1-10 scale as a "Good" game..even Yu said he'd give it a 7.

I'll wait til Yu/Cedric confirm its officially over.

Last edited:
Yup. All from 2015. Also in the KS videos.
Here's a quick one I could find:

I mean, I'm not trying to argue, but all he says is "Baisha will show off what Shenmue 3 is all about". That doesn't really say a lot and just sounds like a typical platitude people use when promoting a part of a game.

Yup. All from 2015. Also in the KS videos.
Here's a quick one I could find:

I believe Choubu became Niaowu which appears to be based on Fenghuang China.

The game isn't even out a damned week, the reviews aren't even completely all out, nor or any sales figures(which won't be worth salt til post-holdays considering BF deals or after Christmas sales) and here we all are "Welp, guess this is it. Good run guys."

Seriously??

I'll wait til Yu/Cedric confirm its officially over.

Yeah I'm not too concerned yet, I'm just posting the reviews here as I see them.

But it feels like it was at the expense of the story and character developpement. A lot of things feel wrong so far. And I feel like midway, priority was given to make it a """shenmue""" game, understand it as a "mini game/sim life game" and less about Shenmue at its core: The story, world and character developpement.

But it's now that Ryo is finally starting to show some character. Not to mention Shenhua and the history of the mirrors and everything Iwao. I feel in terms of story and character devlopment, Shenmue III is making huge leaps.

I also find myself doing side activities much more here than in previous games. Mostly because making money has never been more important. Same goes for training. I had a ritual every day - two sparring sessions, a few horse stance/one-inch punch, her collecting, fun, and then story. Really cool way to play the game I feel.

I mean, I'm not trying to argue, but all he says is "Baisha will show off what Shenmue 3 is all about". That doesn't really say a lot and just sounds like a typical platitude people use when promoting a part of a game.

There's also the fact that Baisha was one of the first in the stretch goal list.

Also:
Q. Why were the Bailu stretch goals the last stretch goals?

A. Many of the new challenges in S3 are in Baisha. As a result the focus was put there.

I'm not being funny though, Niaowu is dead. How do all these shops survive? There's no shoppers...

Look--reviews are one thing, passion is another and this fanbase has an enormity of it.

I firmly, strongly believe this series will continue from sheer force of will, as that is what initially resurrected it in the first place.

Yu just received a Lifetime award and if someone of that clout has a wish to see his series to it's end, he's gonna find a way to grant it to the fans who helped him.

Can you imagine standing on that stage in 2015, prior to it's reveal? You're following behind the largest announcement in E3 history.

Will people care about your humble request to help bring your dream back to life after 18 years? Will it be booed, clapped at with indifference? I would've been so frightened.

Are there any interviews or articles about this? It's the first I've heard that Baisha was supposed to be the main area.

No there Isn'e, because that's completely false, Chobu or whatnot was always the main area, and where most of the game is to take place.

It's clear Baisha was changed to just focus on the ending mission, and no it wasn't going to be a place where new ideas take place. Outside of the character perspective system that had to be dropped, and was mostly going to take place during the final mission anyway, Baisha was just going to be a intermediate place we go to, before taking on the final mission.

Yu Suzuki has even said atleast a couple times, that most of the side stuff is in Choubu.

I'm actually curious about that, I vaguely recall reading from people here that japan just outright doesn't care about Shenmue and there isn't much interest in it, but I dont know how true that is.

I'd say its less that first teaser, and its more this game's trailers in general sucked ass, the only decent one, and only decent, was the launch trailer.
In the past, people I’d spoken to about Shenmue hadn’t even heard of it, but surprisingly, there is quite a bit of buzz about the game right now. I’m not expecting huge sales figures, but I think it will have sold better than the remasters did.

Dreamcast just wasn’t that big so of course Shenmue isn’t a huge franchise in any part of the world. It was always running behind in Japan as well. Japanese gamers must know Yu Suzuki, however, so I’m sure he’s been given a fair amount of favorable coverage for his return.

No there Isn'e, because that's completely false, Chobu or whatnot was always the main area, and where most of the game is to take place.

It's clear Baisha was changed to just focus on the ending mission, and no it wasn't going to be a place where new ideas take place. Outside of the character perspective system that had to be dropped, and was mostly going to take place during the final mission anyway, Baisha was just going to be a intermediate place we go to, before taking on the final mission.

Yu Suzuki has even said atleast a couple times, that most of the side stuff is in Choubu.

I litterally pointed words from Yu Suzuki himself. Instead of saying "there isn't" prove it.

A. Many of the new challenges in S3 are in Baisha. As a result the focus was put there.
"Many of the new challenges in S3 are in Baisha".
"The focus was put here".
Straight from the horse's mouth.
"False" my ass.

One point to keep in mind is that when Yu Suzuki was posed with the question as to what he’d score Shenmue 3 in one of the recent video interviews, his response was 7/10. He's fully aware of the imposed limitations in which he had to work.

As long as the game can sell decently, I fully expect Deep Silver to invest a great deal of money and resources into the franchise. Look at the difference in production values between Metro 2033 and Metro Exodus. The greatest shortfall for the YSNet team was the lack of a technology director, but I expect this position to be filled (along with many others) if we are fortunate enough to see a Shenmue 4.

I actually just went and watched it. You know what? It makes me sort of at peace with the reviews. If you have the creator himself stating a 5/6/7.5 he knew that this would be the response. Which really makes me believe Shenmue 4 is in the chamber to replenish the experience. Maybe he just had to get 3 out and over with, because that's a very honest reply he gave. Even more so that it actually lines up with the review round up.

I litterally pointed words from Yu Suzuki himself. Instead of saying "there isn't" prove it.

"Many of the new challenges in S3 are in Baisha".
"The focus was put here".
Straight from the horse's mouth.
"False" my ass.

There's so much conjecture there on your part.

"New challenges" - challenge in terms of what? Development challenges and what kind?
"Main focus" - again, more context is needed. Focus in terms of developing a new system? Or something else?

None of what you have cited equates to "Baisha was supposed to be the main area and is where most of the story should have taken place"

"New challenges" - challenge in terms of what? Development challenges and what kind?
"Main focus" - again, more context is needed. Focus in terms of developing a new system? Or something else?

None of what you have cited equates to "Baisha was supposed to be the main area and is where most of the story should have taken place"

Well, the question litterally is "why is Bailu last in stretch goals", the answer being "Baisha is where many of the new challenges in S3 happens. So we focus on it".
Now, am I wrong ? Maybe. But if I am, please people, present evidences. This is a discussion. I've been asked about showing evidences of Baisha being a prominent area (maybe the main one ?) in Shenmue 3 at first. Which I did. Two declarations by Yu Suzuki. And the stretch goal orders. I'll deep diver tonight into older 2015 interviews as I cant right now. But I'm definitely sure that Baisha was supposed to be one of the most, if not the most, important area of Shenmue 3.

If you think otherwise, please present evidences.

It's not "mere conjectures" either. The question gives you the context you're asking for.

He literally said many of the new challenges are in Baisha. What more do you want from this pointless argument? Let it go.

I actually just went and watched it. You know what? It makes me sort of at peace with the reviews. If you have the creator himself stating a 5/6/7.5 he knew that this would be the response. Which really makes me believe Shenmue 4 is in the chamber to replenish the experience. Maybe he just had to get 3 out and over with, because that's a very honest reply he gave. Even more so that it actually lines up with the review round up.

I dunno.. that whole interview was pretty joke-y. Suzuki gave joke answers to joke questions.

But then again maybe not. Maybe he felt the reviews were going to be 7's because he knew damn well it would mostly satisfy people looking for this exact experience (for them, aka us, it's between 8-10/10 )

Back