The poetry scroll

Will this scroll have a use in Shenmue 4? You have the scroll in your inventory in S3 (but can’t open it for some reason) so it seems it will serve a story purpose.

But wasn’t it possible to miss the scroll in S1? If so it couldn’t have been intended to be a key story item.

I can’t remember but in S2 on Dreamcast you didn’t automatically start the game with the scroll assuming you didn’t import it from a S1 save right? Did you automatically have it in inventory on Xbox S2?

I checked Shenmue 2 HD and it seems that the scroll is not under items it’s under move scrolls which further suggests it’s not a key story item.

I hope they find a cool use for the scroll. Maybe Ryo Ren and Shenhua will have to use the scroll as toilet paper on their long trek to the cliff temple.

No way of knowing until we get there I suppose. I do think they missed an opportunity for exposition on it in S3 considering all the Martial Artists and old people Ryo interacts with.

I'm thinking it'll turn out that it was the finishing move Lan-Di used on Iwao, cuz... poetic reasons n stuff. It quite looks like it's taking the form of an Animal's mouth. Maybe it 'would've' been an optional thing at the time had everything gone according to plan. "Wait really, I missed that move waaaay back in Shenmue 1 and have to replay all of them just for that?!"

A lot of time has passed though, so maybe Suzuki has decided to make it more of an integral plot point.

No way of knowing until we get there I suppose. I do think they missed an opportunity for exposition on it in S3 considering all the Martial Artists and old people Ryo interacts with.

I'm thinking it'll turn out that was the finishing move Lan-Di used on Iwao. It quite looks like it's taking the form of an Animal's mouth.
But if Iwao knew the move that Lan Di used why didn’t he counter it?

But if Iwao knew the move that Lan Di used why didn’t he counter it?

Who knows. He was put in a rough spot, having to fight a monster while he's probably not in his physical prime. Lan-Di's not the type of opponent you can afford to give anything less than 110% effort against. While also focusing on protecting Ryo (And the rest of the family by extension). Maybe subconscious guilt as well, for whatever happened between him and Zhao Sun Ming.

Last edited:
Nah. Iwao gave it his all and was simply outclassed by Lan Di. 46 is not that old either Lan Di was also in his 30s so not in his physical prime either. If Iwao knew the move he would have been able to counter it. Besides the move can’t be pivotal to the story since the scroll is missable in S1.

Nah. Iwao gave it his all and was simply outclassed by Lan Di. 46 is not that old either Lan Di was also in his 30s so not in his physical prime either. If Iwao knew the move he would have been able to counter it. Besides the move can’t be pivotal to the story since the scroll is missable in S1.
31 is doing OCEAN's better than 46, especially as Lifer martial artists. You commonly see people still compete at that age in Combat Sports. You're gonna have a hard time of it finding competitive fighters at 46 (Bernard Hopkins and Randy Coutore being huge unicorns). Not only the physical nature of competing in Martial Arts, but also most people naturally just want to start relaxing a bit.

For example. I checked every UFC Champ (Man & Woman). All, except Sean O'malley are older than 30 years old, and O'malley is 29. Jon Jones & Alex Pereira are the oldest at 36. You might not be as nimble, and recover as quickly as a 21 year old young man in your 30s, but a lot of the time you end up combining the knowledge you've gained over that time, so you're probably a smarter fighter than your 21 year old self in terms of how you train, how you approach a fight, and the amount of situations you've been in while competing.

Lan-Di presumably lives a life where he's constantly in danger, and has to stay physically & mentally sharp at all times. Iwao is older, and by comparison lives a peaceful existence. So yeah I dont disagree that Iwao got picked apart. Simply stating, there's not much he could've done, when he also has to focus on protecting his son, against a much more fit opponent. If he had fought to the death, it probably would've been a long time ago from that day. How do you just turn that switch on that you have to suddenly fight to the death, after chilling out with your family, doing boring daily chores or what have you, when Lan-DI KNOWS what he's gonna do, prolly been training his ass off for that moment for God knows how long. Meanwhile Iwao doesn't know he's about to be surprise attacked with an opponent willing to fight to death. Or maybe he had a vague idea that thing's could get dangerous, since he did go through the trouble of hiding the mirrors, but he still seemed shocked it was Zhao's son there to kill him. How do we even know if he ever found a counter for that move, or if he even learned how to use that move himself? There's so much stuff that hasn't been explained. Its fun theory craft, but at the end of the day probably not worth thinking too hard about it.

What do you define as "pivotal"? I'm not saying the scroll is gonna be something integral to rounding out the plot, but as an aside it would be nice to have it explained, and if it somehow turned out that it was the move Lan-Di used that would be pretty cool. Shenmue 1 was a LONG time ago, obviously a lot of plans have shifted since then. In 2+ decades Suzuki could've had the initial idea, and decided he wants to flesh it out to be something more than optional content. He's not beholden to sticking completely to a script he wrote ages ago, especially when no one has any idea what that move even looks like. If anything that's why I trust that there's gonna be some kind of worthwhile pay off to the story of the scroll.

Last edited:
I think it's pretty clear that the scroll was given by a master from one of the places that Iwao trained, that we haven't reached yet, hence why it has no purpose in III.

I bet it's from Meng Cun.

Back