The New F.R.E.E. Battle System Analysis

So I decided to do a breakdown of the new Free Battle system. You can win in Rose Garden with the minimum amount of Snake Power bottles using a few fighting game tactics.

I think some people could respond negatively to how you've phrased some things, but I thought it was a pretty cool video. Thanks for sharing.

I really enjoyed the combat in Shenmue III also. Even when I started playing the demo, I was kind of shocked by how much I enjoyed just moving around the arena, and dodging the opponents. I know what you mean about the Yakuza combat. It's way too repetitive and boring, for me. I much prefer having more of a fighting game move list at my disposal in the Shenmue games. I also loved the fight at New Paradise. I about lost my mind when I hit one of the thugs into the shelves, and it all just came tumbling down. Even better was going back after to talk with one of the hostesses, and having her tell Ryo not to worry about the damage, because they'd just put it on the thugs tab.

I don't know why I didn't think of luring enemies into position to wall splat them like that. I'll have to try it out in the future. I sort of did that a little bit in the Rose Garden to ring the opponents out, once I realized I could get them over the lowered gates. I'm not sure if I would have cleared the last 3v1 battle there without doing that. I had no idea that Shenhua would watch the matches at the dojo in Bailu if you have her with you. That's a great touch. I guess I shouldn't have expected anything less.

I do wish that Shenmue III had a way to set a particular move if they share the same input, like in Shenmue II. It seems like the moves that have the same inputs basically share the same properties, but it would just be nice to be able to set a specific one.

Do you use the standard combo strings at all? They don't seem to be as long or involved as the ones in the first two games, but there are a bunch of variations. I think they mostly start from Y. I usually used Y -> Y -> Y -> A, or just Y -> Y -> A. I also liked Y -> Y -> Y -> B, and Y -> X -> X -> A. Those combos were easier for me to get to than some of the command combos, at times. Plus I could just stop inputting the combo if I was getting blocked, or could sense a counter. I have a much harder time figuring out combos between the named moves, so I'll be interested in trying out some of the ones you mentioned.

One last thought: I hadn't really trained in martial arts, aside from a few one-day sessions, before playing Shenmue for the first time, but the martial arts training I've done since definitely enhances my appreciation of the series. I agree with you there.

Back