The length of time since you last played 1 and 2?

Shenmue II last year sometime. The first one was many years ago now. I tried to start it again after II last year but there were too many disk read errors. Bring on the rereleases!

I used to play at least Shenmue I every year, sadly I haven't actually played either of them now for around 7-8 years! It'll make replaying them next week even sweeter though.

I last tried playing S1 on my handheld emulator a year or two ago but the game seized up around warehouse no 8 so I couldn't progress. I've still got both games on DC and played the first around 6 or 7 times. S2 on the other hand I last played around 5 years ago and only for the second time, so it should still feel fresh.

The last time I played the series was in 2002 or 2003, can't remember the exact year... I borrowed a Xbox from a friend to finish Shenmue II, which I've never been able to do when I played on Dreamcast. I've stuck in the learning of the four Wude because all the times I've visited Zhangyu, I kept pushing the fucking A button! hahahahahahaha

When I've discovered I had to do nothing in that scene to go on, I could not believe... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

See, this will be interesting to see if they're the same as you remember them, or not. Wish I could have put 15 years between me and them so I would forget the games better before the re-release, or better yet, forget about the games entirely and play them fresh again. That first time I played Shenmue I was really something...then II releasing and being one of the best game sequels ever made. What a time!

This worries me, I'll admit. Must be 14-15 years since I beat both and now I spend so much time thinking about the game. Worried that the expectations are running too high. Think about the re-release several times a day now, even at work and I effing love my job. Guess it feels emotional, revisiting the soundtrack makes me all "awwwww", being here at the Dojo even more so. Half the time is like "yes yes yes yes yes! It's happening! Gonna play it again and it is going to be epic!" The other half more like "what if..." I revisited old favorite films and shows and comics just to be disappointed and would hate for it to happen here. Shenmue was such a thrill, it meant so much in the long run for how I ended up living my life, it's almost scary. Don't want to ruin that. Oh well. Maybe the opposite will happen (forever the pessimist), maybe it will be so awesome and momentary happiness will happen. Hope so!

It's probably been about 7 or 8 years now since I legitimately finished either one. I think I started to play Shenmue II again a couple years ago, but stopped because my copy of the Xbox version started having this weird issue where spoken dialogue would overlap, or there would be a delay after the camera switches to a character, all that stuff. Really weird, so I stopped. Probably should have started it up again when I finally bought the UK Dreamcast version a little while back, but I never got around to it.

Both games always remain pretty fresh in my mind though, since I've been with the Dojo for so long. Hard to escape it when the forum you visit is centered around it.
But like some are saying, yeah, hopefully I've forgotten enough that the PS4 version will just be a sweet wave of nostalgia the whole way through.

Well, a tried the emulator but the popping and sound errors where to much to bare.

The last time was around 12 years ago.

This worries me, I'll admit. Must be 14-15 years since I beat both and now I spend so much time thinking about the game. Worried that the expectations are running too high. Think about the re-release several times a day now, even at work and I effing love my job. Guess it feels emotional, revisiting the soundtrack makes me all "awwwww", being here at the Dojo even more so. Half the time is like "yes yes yes yes yes! It's happening! Gonna play it again and it is going to be epic!" The other half more like "what if..." I revisited old favorite films and shows and comics just to be disappointed and would hate for it to happen here. Shenmue was such a thrill, it meant so much in the long run for how I ended up living my life, it's almost scary. Don't want to ruin that. Oh well. Maybe the opposite will happen (forever the pessimist), maybe it will be so awesome and momentary happiness will happen. Hope so!

Well yeah, I hope that doesn't happen with you not liking them on the replay, but the games regardless of what you think on the replay, impacted your life in a positive way, so at least there's that. In that sense, it made it all worthwhile. :)

I do hope you and the rest who have taken years and years out from playing them still like them as much as before. Obviously tastes change and nostalgia can sometimes be a bitch when revisiting certain things. To be honest, last time I played them they were really the same as I remembered them, hopefully it's the same for you too.

The first game - I think it has been about twelve years since I even played it, so I'm gonna go ahead and guess that was when I last completed it, too. Shenmue II - it has definitely been longer. I'm gonna go with at least thirteen years since the latter.

I have the utmost confidence in my muscle memory :p

The last time I finsihed both games was about 2 years ago. Before that I hadn't played the games in about 10 years though.

I started replaying Shenmue 1 before the ports were announced, but put it down once the annoucment was made. Last time I played before that was 2012 (emulating on my terrible PC), and didn’t get to finish it then either.

For Shenmue 2, I last played in 2002, maybe 2003...

In both cases sufficiently long ago that my memory is hazy enough of some of the specifics that it’ll be like playing them afresh.
(I can still remember the key story details though)

Its been 8 years since i played them both.
Did a slowpace playthrough on a dreamcast with vga-hdmi konverter kit..

I was trying to play it right before it was anounsed in HD, but it seems like my dreamcast has gone into retirement:) i did not think to much about this and then a couple of weeks later it was anounsed! Looking forward playing it in HD! I will not start it up before i get indications from the community that game runs as i should, since i dont want to get my experience broken because of things that eventually be patched.

I played Shenmue yesterday in the arcade trying to beat Chai but I lost. I beat Chai last week I played Shenmue 2 four days ago I only play parts of the games.

Back