The length of time since you last played 1 and 2?

Henry Spencer

I'm not a monster, it's only a mask.
PSN
harryangel666
XBL
Magiking
With 1 and 2 being released soon, just wondering how long it has been since some of you have played these games? And when did you last beat them?

I played them both around a year ago now, which was the first time I'd played them both in a few years. Beat 1, got to Guilin in 2 then dropped it. Last actually beat 2 a few years ago.

I beat Shenmue a matter of seconds ago! The last time I beat it was around Christmas. I last beat Shenmue II in 2015. Planning to start it again with my most recent Shenmue save file in the next couple of days.

I last beat Shenmue earlier this year, and Shenmue II earlier this month. I haven't played them properly since the end of last year though.

2016 and 2017 respectively, but for me it was time elapsed since starting and finishing Shenmue II, which was about 15 years.

I actually had a play-through going when they announced the HD releases. So I took an elective decision to stop and wait until they came out before playing again.

I last finished Shenmue 2 in March this year. Shenmue 1 probable December last year.

I last played and completed Shenmue 1 in 2016, I think. I started playing through the series in 2015 in anticipation for Shenmue 3, but honestly I've been replaying the first Shenmue every year since it came out. It was only about 2010ish that I started to get a bit lazy. Shenmue 2 is similar, but I haven't completed it since about 2013 or something. I did play it last year for a bit though.

I constantly play bits of both games so it's never longer than maybe 2 weeks. Was a lot more in the last few years but my projects have really run dry. The last time I actually sat down and properly played one of the games all the way through has been shockingly long. Maybe 3-4 years.

It's been several years since I've played either game. Sadly I played them so much back in the day that even with several years between playthroughs it still won't feel as fresh as I'd like :weary:

15 years ago...

See, this will be interesting to see if they're the same as you remember them, or not. Wish I could have put 15 years between me and them so I would forget the games better before the re-release, or better yet, forget about the games entirely and play them fresh again. That first time I played Shenmue I was really something...then II releasing and being one of the best game sequels ever made. What a time!

Can't tell for sure, guess it was around 2007-2008?
I'm not someone who likes to go through single player adventures multiple times, playing Shenmue twice was already an exception for me, based on how much I liked it.
Now that it's about time to play again, I'm actually very glad I have not been playing them in quite a long time and forgotten a lot of scenes and minor locations meanwhile.

Edit: the soundtrack instead, I've never stopped listening to it.

Last edited:
In general? Yesterday :eek:
Last time i beat both of them was last year. I always do a yearly playthrough of both games. So happy that this year's full playthrough will be extra special and shinier :sunglasses:

Was in middle of playing both successively and very slowly when HD was announced. Decided to keep playin through because i hate not finishing games even if a repeat. BNesides, after I get all my copies of 1+2 I'm waiting to play then until Shenmue 3 comes out. Between finishing my current Shenmue II (half through disc 3) and Shenmue III releasing i'll also do a quick run of 2x because it has been over a decade sicne i did.

Pretty sure I ran through both early this spring, hard to keep track though since I play through both games roughly twice a year at least...

Shenmue II was about six years ago, the first about seven or eight. Properly, at least.

Probably have never gone without playing either or each game for more than a year or year and a half.

About two years ago, I think. I have done at least one annual playthrough of both games, usually back to back since 2002 but last year, my old TV broke down and the new one I bought can't connect to a Dreamcast directly anymore. I tried with a micro scart adaptor/cable but the picture that thing puts out is so abysmal, it would have broken my heart to play Shenmue with it. So I couldn't play Shenmue last year.

Didn't wanna spend hundreds of Euros on a Framemeister and it was only until this year's January that I finally got my hands on an Akura. I was already planning to play both games again during my time off work but then the S1 & 2 remasters got announced.:D So now, for the first time in over two years, I'll start playing both games again in about 10 days... on PS4! :D

That said, I'll definitely feel the itch to go back to playing the Dreamcast originals again some day which I will do for sure, regardless of the remasters. :love:

See, this will be interesting to see if they're the same as you remember them, or not. Wish I could have put 15 years between me and them so I would forget the games better before the re-release, or better yet, forget about the games entirely and play them fresh again. That first time I played Shenmue I was really something...then II releasing and being one of the best game sequels ever made. What a time!

I have a confession... I never actually played Shenmue I...

Watched the movie and completed Shenmue II though...

In the meantime, I mostly remember how the saga made me feel...

I made a promise to myself to boycott $ega and withhold replaying anything until the saga was rereleased...

10 more days...

We shall see...

Back