The ending of Shenmue

How will be the ending of Shenmue?

• Ryo Win a fight against Lan Di, forget about revenge, goes back to Japan to take care of the Dojo

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • Ryo Win a fight against Lan Di, forget about revenge, decide to live in Bailu Village.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Ryo Win, forget about revenge, travel the world to challenge other martial artists, new journey.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Ryo decide to Kill Lan Di, he will feel bad about it, he will learn the lesson in a hard way

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other possibilities

Votes: 19 24.7%

• Total voters

~ ひかり ~

このまま・・・時間が止まるといい
Site Staff
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (PS4)
I think a lot about what will happen in the end of the Shenmue story. In my opinion the ending of Shenmue will be in Shenmue 5.

In the end Ryo will stay in China or he will come back to Japan? i think that Ryo will not kill Lan Di, something else will happen, he will give up revenge against Lan Di, Ryo will defeat the leader of the Chi You Men and he will finally understand the last words of his father "Keep friends, those you love, close to you."

He will understand what Master Lishao Tao/Xiuying said to him about revenge, Ryo will mature a lot in my opinion.

He will understand and maybe he will go back to Yokosuka, i think Shenhua will go with him, Shenhua and Ryo will be a couple? maybe... maybe Nozomi will appear again or maybe Ryo will be alone, i really want Nozomi to come back in the story, even if she don't stay with Ryo in the end.

Maybe Ryo will train other people on the dojo. Maybe he will stay in China and go back to Bailu village, there is a lot of possiblities for the end of Shenmue, i like to think about that a lot.

(Edit after reading comments) i agree a lot with Dg1995, maybe Ryo becomes a martial artist that travels around the world to challenge other martial artists, this is nice too.

What do you think will happen in the end? Ryo will stay in China or he will come back to Japan? what will happen in the end of Shenmue?

Share your thoughts if you want, thanks. :giggle:

Last edited:
Ryo and Shenhua's conversations lead me to believe he'll be going back to Japan at some point. Dunno if it'll be during the game or epilogue though.

I hope Yu doesn't do the love triangle thing. I probably jinxed it. Knowing him might have dating simulator thing where you have to choose between Shenhua or Nozomi as the love of Ryo's life.:LOL:

I think in the end Ryo becomes a martial artist that travels around the world to challenge other martial artists.

Or he travels around to find his mother.(Maybe in the end it will be revealed that his mother is still alive.)

As for Lan Di, I think he will have a heroic death.

Really interesting, i think there is a big chance that this will be the ending of Shenmue, Ryo travelling around the world to challenge other martial artists, this will be a good ending in my opinion but a part of me wants Ryo to go back to Japan and take care of the dojo, stay close to his friends, train other people and stay with Nozomi or Shenhua.

I think Lan Di will have a heroic death, i agree with you. If what you wrote happen i will be really happy with the ending. :giggle:

Last edited:
I'd probably choose Shenhua. I thought it was cute how she got jealous of Ryo bringing up Nozomi a few times. Also you'd have to think they'd keep growing closer by adventuring and having near death experiences. Nozomi seemed a bit distant in the phone calls, but I guess there's always a possibility of fixing her character if she comes back in the story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryo and Shenhua's conversations lead me to believe he'll be going back to Japan at some point. Dunno if it'll be during the game or epilogue though.

I hope Yu doesn't do the love triangle thing. I probably jinxed it. Knowing him might have dating simulator thing where you have to choose between Shenhua or Nozomi as the love of Ryo's life.:LOL:
I prefer Shenhua but ryo doesnt care about both of them

Shenhua might be Ryo's half sister.(Maybe they had the same mother.)

So, I don't think Ryo and Shenhua end up being together.
Really interesting. I really want to know more about Ryo's mother.

I think that Lan Di is going to die a meaningful death like others have mentioned. I also think Ren won't make it to the end of the series either. Both of these moments are going to have a profound impact on Ryo during his journey. I hope Ryo makes the smart choice and goes with Xiuying for his love interest for hot MILF action. :)

Much how Longzhun Zhao evolved into the alias Lan Di, I think Ryo Hazuki will change his name to Akira Yuki by the very end of the series.

Really interesting. I really want to know more about Ryo's mother.
It's kinda weird that both Ryo and Shenhua mothers left them when they were childs.

Also, both of them have a Shenmue tree.

I think that Lan Di is going to die a meaningful death like others have mentioned. I also think Ren won't make it to the end of the series either. Both of these moments are going to have a profound impact on Ryo during his journey.
If Guizhang returns, there is a chance that he ends up dying instead of Ren .

One thing that will be really nice to see is Ziming's story, in my opinion Xiuying will return at some point in the story and maybe we will see Xiuying fighting Ziming, maybe Ziming will die protecting Xiuying or other thing will happen.

I hope Guizhang returns, i think Guizhang or Ren will have heroic death, and i think only this way Ryo will finally understand the last words of his father, he will learn trough pain and sadness. I remember that Yu-san said that Shenmue will have a stage called Sadness and Ryo will forget about revenge, something like that, i don't remember now.

I want to see a lot of characters returning in the epilogue, will be really nice to have a scene where we can see the characters again, what they are doing in that time.

One example: Showing Nozomi in Canada and what she is doing in that time. In the end i think will be really nice to see scenes of all the places that Ryo had been, scenes showing all the characters and what they are doing at that time, i think if i see Yokosuka, Hong Kong and all the other places this way i will cry a lot in the ending, this way will be a sweet ending. :giggle:

Last edited:
if this happen you will choose Shenhua or Nozomi? :LOL:
Shenhua, absolutely. Don't even have to think about it. Part of me feels like they're meant to have more of a sibling sort of bond, though, and not really a romantic one. I don't think it's too likely that they're actually siblings, but who knows.

Much how Longzhun Zhao evolved into the alias Lan Di, I think Ryo Hazuki will change his name to Akira Yuki by the very end of the series.
That would be amazing! I actually really hope Suzuki was planning to do this.

If Guizhang returns, there is a chance that he ends up dying instead of Ren .

I don’t know if the phone calls are strictly cannon or more on the side of fan service but I noted it sounds like Guizhang has no intentions of following Ryo anymore.

Keeping in mind his primary objective was to introduce Ryo to Xuixing and obviously he is well beyond that point. If the artwork and ending of Shenmue 3 are indicators, it appears Ren outside Shenhua will be his primary companion.

I don’t know if the phone calls are strictly cannon or more on the side of fan service but I noted it sounds like Guizhang has no intentions of following Ryo anymore.

Keeping in mind his primary objective was to introduce Ryo to Xuixing and obviously he is well beyond that point. If the artwork and ending of Shenmue 3 are indicators, it appears Ren outside Shenhua will be his primary companion.
But he became interested in visiting Xuixing when Ryo told him that Lishao Tao is a good looking woman.lol.

We play as Lan Di in Shenmue 4 and we'll get to see his side of the story after the events in the first Shenmue game, leading to Ryo and his path intersecting at the end and Lan Di beating Ryo's ass yet again. Then in Shenmue 5, we control Ryo after a ten year time skip and confront Lan Di, who's been weakened considerably after being betrayed and captured by the other organization leaders. The two engage in a fight to the death but Ryo ends up sparing his life and forgiving him after having a flashback of his father when he was still alive. The series ends with Ryo going back to Japan to start his life anew.

We play as Lan Di in Shenmue 4 and we'll get to see his side of the story after the events in the first Shenmue game, leading to Ryo and his path intersecting at the end and Lan Di beating Ryo's ass yet again. Then in Shenmue 5, we control Ryo after a ten year time skip and confront Lan Di, who's been weakened considerably after being betrayed and captured by the other organization leaders. The two engage in a fight to the death but Ryo ends up sparing his life and forgiving him after having a flashback of his father when he was still alive. The series ends with Ryo going back to Japan to start his life anew.

10/10 missed the guitar tho.

time travel. there will be a second chance given to ryo to save his father.

Last edited:
The original illustrations from the postmortem kind of gives us the answer:

shenmue_unreleased.jpg

Ryo becomes Akira (he puts his signature headband) and shows his back to Shenhua (in the center) and Xiuying (in the background), who look like giving him some kind of farewell. All in a barren, grassland-like, setting.

No sign of where Ryo goes to, maybe it's back to Japan or to search for more adventures, but the destination doesn't seem key to the plot and it will probably not be shown. Also no sign of Nozomi or Guizhang coming back (neither Joy nor Fangmei, nor Wong seems important to the plot).

I think it would be a great ending, and I'd agree completely with all those choices if they are kept in the end. Having phone conversations with past secondary characters, and meeting some relatives or acquaintances of them, is enough for filling the "nostalgia" and connecting the world. But more would be too much IMO.

Back