Tell me your feeling who played game,are you satisfied with shenmue 3

I have my issues towards it, but yes I'm really satisfied with the game in general, never in my wildest dreams did I think this mess of a Kickstarter will birth a full fledged Shenmue game that feels exactly as it's predecessors did.

What Yu Suzuki has done is nothing short of a miracle.

It's not Shenmue 1/2 caliber , but the base is there to build something better.

I'll say that Bailu part of the game was 10/10 for me, have the game not faltered in the middle of Niaowu it would've easily been Shenmue 1/2 caliber .
There it is. Bailu is complete, Niaowu feels rushed due to lack of funds. You nailed my thoughts exactly there.

I'll say that Bailu part of the game was 10/10 for me, have the game not faltered in the middle of Niaowu it would've easily been Shenmue 1/2 caliber .

In some ways, I think they should have just stayed in Bailu and kept it small but dense with story and detail.

Keep it around that one location but just pack it in with detail...maybe then go to Chobu at the end of III. Have a full oncoming invasion coming into Bailu that the villagers have to fight off Seven Samurai style...could have been awesome and something resembling what he wanted to do with the final act in Baisha and he wouldn't have had to worry about Chobu. But I guess he wasn't willing to compromise.

Bailu was great. Chobu felt incomplete.

Surely anyone who's finished the game at this point has probably rushed it a bit? I got it on the 18th, have done at least a couple of hours per day and I'm still in Bailu.
Really enjoying it so far - it has advanced many of the systems of the first two games and has finally given me a compelling reason to mess around with the gambling, capsule toys, training etc. Loved the expanded training sessions with Sun. Beautiful environments that truly feel alive and lived-in and full of charm/personality. It still has a sense of place unlike any other game I can think of (maybe Deadly Premonition is on a similar level). Don't like the uneven frame rate on PS4 (I'll play it on PC next time). Still haven't got my head around the blocking/dodge system in combat. Japanese voicework is very good. I do find it a bit odd that Ryo is struggling with thugs/local martial artists when he whooped Dou Niu and Master Baihu in the 2nd game.

Enjoying the (extremely slow and simple but compelling) plot thus far. I wasn't expecting for a minute to get a juggernaut like Shenmue 2 with this kind of budget.
Oh you don't even have a choice, some of the best moves use these toys to trade in. And vases and so on. I had to win one particular vase in that lucky hit stand. First time I cared about winning that. I won all 8 or so they needed for collections.

I’ve been in Niaowu for quite a lot of time now, and I’m still looking for Red Snakes members...

I have to say I’m not exactly in love with this part of the game, sadly.

I’ve been in Niaowu for quite a lot of time now, and I’m still looking for Red Snakes members...

I have to say I’m not exactly in love with this part of the game, sadly.
I’ll use spoiler tags here (even in this forum), but regarding the rest of the game for you...
that’s, no exaggeration, the rest of the game basically

I’ll use spoiler tags here (even in this forum), but regarding the rest of the game for you...
that’s, no exaggeration, the rest of the game basically

Sucks to hear that, but at least I won’t get my hopes up.

I recon then chance of gathering a new fan base to the series based on S3 is slim to none.

And if he makes S4, what are the chanses he will go back to Shenmue's roots?

Will he go back to Shenmue 2 and have us pretend S3 did not happend?
Or will he continue on the path wich S3 ended. The Shenmue tree is not mentioned in S3, nor is the floating sword or alot about the mythology which made the series so great.
He did not emphasiesd on the destiny part which is the core of Shenmue's story.

If we continue down the path of Shenmue 3 then the point of the series is useless. Plain and simple.
Its like another universe from the first 2 games, where it feels like the budget dictated whats happend before Shenmue 3 or not.

I allso wonder what will happen to the core fans. I dont see myself strolling around Bailu for the next 5 years looking for clues.

The lack of story and the imense plot holes leaves me thinking that there wont be to many theories about what will happen next in the story. Simply because there are so much stuff which dont count anymore.

The whole Shenmue tree part could have been emphasised by flashbacks or dialog in some form just to keep it somewhat relevant for the future.

Instead of writing endless script about what ryo liked in school, they could have discused how strange it is that they met, and theoriesed about the prophesy. If we did get to know the answer to the theory then we could atleast keep it relevant in some form. For new fans it would a way of showing that they are destined to meet. I doubt new players will see Shenhua as nothing else but a traveling companion

If you can afford to script 2 thugs for hours then you could just as well afford to put in charecters wich would have any relevans to the plot.

The people who knew Iwao and sunming could have had dialog which brought up questions and mysteries instead of the crap we got from them.

If we had more to go by instead of fillers then we could have discussions for years to come, and at some point it was down to the information we got from these people.

A script dont cost millions. Writing a script wich fills the gap would have costed a very small amount of money considering the story is allready written. The world itself was beautiful and i would have accepted lots of faults there for a good story.

I recon having another fundraiser will be drasticly harder the next time around for Yu. I will allways have Shenmues back, and support it in any way possible, but i understand if the people Who backed shenmue as a good but vague memory drops out now.

I agree with many of the posters displaying their disappointment. Overall I was disappointed in the lack of plot development in this game from an overall story and in terms of the characters introduced (they were painfully underdeveloped for the most part). I was impressed with some aspects of the game though, how well realized the environments were, especially Niaowu, whose charm worked on me. Also, the fighitng system was better than I had initially thought and it grew on me by the end. I also legitimately liked the mini-games. I thought they were fun and varied and liked the addition of the 'mechanical' games vs video games. I also thought the wood cutting was more fun than any previous job in Shenmue.

With regards to the story, I'm worried for the future of the series. If Suzuki gets to make Shenmue 4, which seems like a decent probability, it will likely be his last chance to finish the story. Even if it isn't, the fact that he couldn't realize the story he wanted with the budget he was given in Shenmue 3 shows me that he won't be able to do it in another game. For any fans that were dissappointed by the plot in this game, I just don't see how Shenmue 4 could realistically rectify it.

I recon then chance of gathering a new fan base to the series based on S3 is slim to none.

And if he makes S4, what are the chanses he will go back to Shenmue's roots?

Will he go back to Shenmue 2 and have us pretend S3 did not happend?
Or will he continue on the path wich S3 ended. The Shenmue tree is not mentioned in S3, nor is the floating sword or alot about the mythology which made the series so great.
He did not emphasiesd on the destiny part which is the core of Shenmue's story.

If we continue down the path of Shenmue 3 then the point of the series is useless. Plain and simple.
Its like another universe from the first 2 games, where it feels like the budget dictated whats happend before Shenmue 3 or not.

I allso wonder what will happen to the core fans. I dont see myself strolling around Bailu for the next 5 years looking for clues.

The lack of story and the imense plot holes leaves me thinking that there wont be to many theories about what will happen next in the story. Simply because there are so much stuff which dont count anymore.

The whole Shenmue tree part could have been emphasised by flashbacks or dialog in some form just to keep it somewhat relevant for the future.

Instead of writing endless script about what ryo liked in school, they could have discused how strange it is that they met, and theoriesed about the prophesy. If we did get to know the answer to the theory then we could atleast keep it relevant in some form. For new fans it would a way of showing that they are destined to meet. I doubt new players will see Shenhua as nothing else but a traveling companion

If you can afford to script 2 thugs for hours then you could just as well afford to put in charecters wich would have any relevans to the plot.
Well, the Sword of the Seven Stars gets used in Bailu Tower at least , so it's not a big issue to me but there's a second Shenmue tree and a priest in Niaowu hands him a move scroll with his father's name on it and Ryo doesn't give a fuck on both occasions. Yeah...

I agree with many of the posters displaying their disappointment. Overall I was disappointed in the lack of plot development in this game from an overall story and in terms of the characters introduced (they were painfully underdeveloped for the most part). I was impressed with some aspects of the game though, how well realized the environments were, especially Niaowu, whose charm worked on me. Also, the fighitng system was better than I had initially thought and it grew on me by the end. I also legitimately liked the mini-games. I thought they were fun and varied and liked the addition of the 'mechanical' games vs video games. I also thought the wood cutting was more fun than any previous job in Shenmue.

With regards to the story, I'm worried for the future of the series. If Suzuki gets to make Shenmue 4, which seems like a decent probability, it will likely be his last chance to finish the story. Even if it isn't, the fact that he couldn't realize the story he wanted with the budget he was given in Shenmue 3 shows me that he won't be able to do it in another game. For any fans that were dissappointed by the plot in this game, I just don't see how Shenmue 4 could realistically rectify it.

I think that Shenmue IV is going to be the new "Shenmue 2". The plodding pace and slow plot development that I disliked about Shenmue I is very present in 3. If the development team is this confident in Shenmue IV being made, I have a feeling that the majority of the budget was saved to make Shenmue IV and get III out the way. Same way with the Dreamcast Originals, all the while Shenmue was being shown to the public, little did we now that about 60% of what was shown was the sequel, and even had characters that didn't show up until the end of III.

I agree that the story in Shenmue III needed a lot of work, but there are elements in the game that are unapologetically Shenmue and I appreciate that. In a nutshell, I feel like Shenmue III is the sequel for those who never played Shenmue I and want to jump straight in. What I was expecting going into III was the sequel to II. It wasn't until I finished III that I realized that Shenmue II is still the gold standard in the Shenmue games.

With a running engine in place and plenty of assets built, I'm quite optimistic that Shenmue IV will do a better job of giving us a game packed with more story and not a plodding pace of a game just to keep you busy. I think when it eventually does release, we'll have to use Shenmue II as the litmus test on how well that game will be.

In terms of how I rate the games so far.

Shenmue I - 7/10
Shenmue II- 10/10
Shenmue III- 7.5/10

Last edited:
So I beat Shenmue III Tonight, I spoke of my thoughts on the story in the ending thread and kind of come of negative - Like many I think the lack of focus on the fames plot progression was the biggest let down of the game.

But, I will say that I feel the game absolutely excelled in delviering a phenoninal gaming experience! The mini-games IMO were better than ever & I really liked the training and progression system wihtin the game.

While I've heard many people talk down about the Fortress Area, I will say that they f&%*ing nailed the encounter with Lan Di! I loved how Ryo couldn't even land a hit on him even after overoming Mr. Muscles. They obvoulsy hinted at Niao Sun, betraying Lan Di to overtake the Chi You Men (Which is interesting considering we still have yet to see the other members. But that encounter was exactly want I wanted and I'm so grateful they showed off Lan Di as a powehouse! Honestly I can't give them enough credit for that alone because had we beaten him at the end of the encounter, I'd have near enough given up on the seires.

Am I satisfied with Shenmue 3, Yes not without being a little underwhelmed by the narrative, but I can't call it a dissapointement - if you want me to slap a number on it I'd say 8.2

So I beat Shenmue III Tonight, I spoke of my thoughts on the story in the ending thread and kind of come of negative - Like many I think the lack of focus on the fames plot progression was the biggest let down of the game.

But, I will say that I feel the game absolutely excelled in delviering a phenoninal gaming experience! The mini-games IMO were better than ever & I really liked the training and progression system wihtin the game.

While I've heard many people talk down about the Fortress Area, I will say that they f&%*ing nailed the encounter with Lan Di! I loved how Ryo couldn't even land a hit on him even after overoming Mr. Muscles. They obvoulsy hinted at Niao Sun, betraying Lan Di to overtake the Chi You Men (Which is interesting considering we still have yet to see the other members. But that encounter was exactly want I wanted and I'm so grateful they showed off Lan Di as a powehouse! Honestly I can't give them enough credit for that alone because had we beaten him at the end of the encounter, I'd have near enough given up on the seires.

Am I satisfied with Shenmue 3, Yes not without being a little underwhelmed by the narrative, but I can't call it a dissapointement - if you want me to slap a number on it I'd say 8.2
OK this is a spoiler forum, do you think Ren swapped Ryo's mirror for the fake one? Please tell me you think that too. Or do you think that will be the huge point of Shenmue 4, getting it back?

I posted this in the wrong thread before... It belongs here...
I just finished the game. I didn't want anyone spoiling it for me and I was driven all week to get to the final show down with Lan Di.

First off, I used to be a huge gamer but I can't really bring myself to even play never mind complete many other titles. I was like a kid in a candy shop with Shenmue 3 and I have to say it successfully brought me back to my childhood in that sense because I was so engrossed in it. It's important to be positive and the game had too many positives to mention all here.

Some positives:

The charm of Shenmue was still there
It felt Shenmue
The story (under)development didn't bother me that much
I thought the graphics were amazing. Ryo never looked better.
I seen other people bashing the QTEvents but I thought they were great... Just like the old ones but some of the graphics were brill...
I loved the contrast of city/urban lifestyles.

Some areas where I hope will be improved in the future:

The worst thing about the game for me was actually kind of my own fault but also I reckon its a game design failure. It was worse than the ending chapter imo. You might find this an amateur mistake especially considering I completed the first two games many times but when in Niawou: instead of focusing on asking people had they seen Mr. Yuan, which so many people kept saying "impossible task" etc, my focus shifted completely to the fight competition at the Rose garden. I thought maybe after beating all of them then we'd get the next clue or an invite to hang out with the harbour guys. The part that was annoying was that I spent so long just fishing at the harbour at the same spot and chopping tons of wood everyday to buy expensive skill books to surpass all these guys. I thought I had enough fishing done in Bailu...

It was only afterwards whenI realised the award was just skill books that I progressed and the game/city opened up for me properly but by this stage I feel the city was kind of wasted because I already had fully trained myself to "max" levels of endurance/attack. I felt I was really just running around, progressing the story... I'm sure I'm not the only person this has happened to!

I really loved how everything was "integrated". I became very addicted to the capsule toys! However, I wish there was actually more of an incentive to buy the skill books? That ties into a point about the battling system - I enjoyed the battling system especially compared to S1 and S2 and how sparring forced you to familiarise yourself with the moves etc... But I felt that I wasn't majorly challenged and forced to use the moves or really learn new moves? Perhaps changing difficulty would fix this? I loved trying to find/win all of the items to unlock the skills but again it wasn't necessary...

The game just kind of lost its flow with me. I felt I peaked performance wise way too soon. Rose garden should have been blocked off until later imo.

Better wrap this up... A few other points I'd like to mention:

The game was still beautifully designed and I was really moved by it a few times.

Not that it matters all that much but now that I completed it I'm confused what's next for the collectables? I see I can choose to start again in Niawou or Bailu? Can you transport between them? I'd also be interested in collecting all the teddy bears etc but I wonder if there's a list?

I think I was more disappointed how easy it was to basically stroll easily to the tower and fight the boss of the red snakes by, in all honesty, button bashing but once again.... My fault with the difficulty setting?

Anyway it's been a dream come true that this game came out because there's no other game like it IMO. The benefits far outweigh the negatives. I hope they make at least two more and keep building/improving. It was a "miracle" in many aspects.

I missed the Kickstarter but gladly would have backed it. I'll follow more closely now.

Any advice on gaming Shenmue 3 going forward now would be greatly appreciated too :)

Overall the game was like a celebration of the fans and raising something from the dead. It certainly had that affect on me. I can't wait now to see what the next game brings considering how many developments were made already. Hopefully Shenmue 4 and 5 will be out of this world in the same way S2 was back in the day 😊

OK this is a spoiler forum, do you think Ren swapped Ryo's mirror for the fake one? Please tell me you think that too. Or do you think that will be the huge point of Shenmue 4, getting it back?
Personally I didn't consider it, if so that's going to make one HELL of a fishing mission :p

it's probably a kind of Yu Suzuki's staff humour, to get the piece through and make people talk about, to privilege the form rather than the background, like when the wise man shows the moon, the idiot looks at his finger, and then, the story goes on...

I think the more I reflect on it the more I like it. Now that the disappointment of how little the plot actually advanced has settled, I have come to see the good in it.

And there is more good than bad here.

For the first time ever we got to see a very human side of Ryo in his conversations with Shenhua.
We actually got some history on the mirror.
We actually got some reflection from Ryo about his father.
Even though we all probably deduced that the man in the photo was Lan Di’s father...it is technically the first time it has been confirmed.
We also found out for sure that it is indeed a key to treasure (I still think there is a twist coming)
We found out Lan Di was raised by the Chi You Men after his dad was killed
We found out Niao Sun is after control of the Chi You Men

And we found out the headquarters of the Chi You Men which will lead to the next chapter presumably being way more action oriented.

I know people say Yuanda Zhu told us most of this already but he only really gave us vague hints. III was confirmation to some degree of what is actually going on. While allowing Ryo to reflect inwards.

I do sometimes wonder if we really expected too much and got let down when our expectations weren’t met in this chapter?
Don’t get me wrong, I have my complaints against the story. I think the pacing is off and I think the final hour was so incredibly rushed and could have been better. But I didn’t hate it entirely. I didn’t mind the comedic effect like some people here did in that final hour. It could have been way more but for what it is, I enjoyed it.

I think this is the problem with telling such a story over so many chapters. You got to fill in time to keep it all going. In someways I do think Suzuki needs a better editor.

It’s a solid 7 out of 10 for me.

But I think with more reflection, I’m less disappointed and starting to come around on it a little. The stuff with Ryo and Shenhua alone was worth it for me. I can’t stress how nice it was to see a human side of Ryo. That and I did enjoy finding out the history of the mirrors. There are things that disappointed me but overall, I still liked it more than I didn’t. I just hope we can get to IV and keep this all going.

I think the more I reflect on it the more I like it. Now that the disappointment of how little the plot actually advanced has settled, I have come to see the good in it.

And there is more good than bad here.

For the first time ever we got to see a very human side of Ryo in his conversations with Shenhua.
We actually got some history on the mirror.
We actually got some reflection from Ryo about his father.
Even though we all probably deduced that the man in the photo was Lan Di’s father...it is technically the first time it has been confirmed.
We also found out for sure that it is indeed a key to treasure (I still think there is a twist coming)
We found out Lan Di was raised by the Chi You Men after his dad was killed
We found out Niao Sun is after control of the Chi You Men

And we found out the headquarters of the Chi You Men which will lead to the next chapter presumably being way more action oriented.

I know people say Yuanda Zhu told us most of this already but he only really gave us vague hints. III was confirmation to some degree of what is actually going on. While allowing Ryo to reflect inwards.

I do sometimes wonder if we really expected too much and got let down when our expectations weren’t met in this chapter?
Don’t get me wrong, I have my complaints against the story. I think the pacing is off and I think the final hour was so incredibly rushed and could have been better. But I didn’t hate it entirely. I didn’t mind the comedic effect like some people here did in that final hour. It could have been way more but for what it is, I enjoyed it.

I think this is the problem with telling such a story over so many chapters. You got to fill in time to keep it all going. In someways I do think Suzuki needs a better editor.

It’s a solid 7 out of 10 for me.

But I think with more reflection, I’m less disappointed and starting to come around on it a little. The stuff with Ryo and Shenhua alone was worth it for me. I can’t stress how nice it was to see a human side of Ryo. That and I did enjoy finding out the history of the mirrors. There are things that disappointed me but overall, I still liked it more than I didn’t. I just hope we can get to IV and keep this all going.
I loved the comedy. More should have been in 1&2. Though thanks to Ren there was some in 2.

i played for 2 hours and hated every second of it, i watched a walkthrough and feel that was better use of my time, there seemed to be so much grinding, i might bother to try it again over christmas

Back