SPOILERS Shenmue The Animation Episode 9 "Distinct" Thread

I think Kowloon will be showcased in some form. It will probably be named, just like the Yan Tin Apartments or Dou Jiang Dinner have been named. And there will be supertall buildings and such. But probably it doesn't need to be highlighted as a change of location, with farewells, travel scenes, a big intro, etc.

In fact, that would be more realistic, since Kowloon and Wan Chai are separated by a 12-minute car drive. And don't forget that in the original chapter cards, they both were part of a single "Hong Kong" chapter.

In some way, I think the game needed to make that separation for technical reasons, since Kowloon and Wan Chai/Aberdeen scenario probably didn't fit on a single Dreamcast disc, but it's not needed story wise. On the opposite, having characters "travel" between both locations, like Joy, Wong and Xiuying do, will feel much more organic that way. And, in the anime, that will give the authors more room to keep mixing and reordering events.
It’s not just that they’re near each other. Kowloon is/was a part of Hong Kong (albeit a part that is also connected to mainland China as opposed to Hong Kong island itself). Looking back, the way that Shenmue 2 makes it out to be some far off location miles from true civilization is a little bizarre, not to mention incredibly misleading. Having visited the area to conduct research before making the game, one can only assume that this was intentional on the developers’ part.

I think we will reach the cave now, this episode was essentially disc 2 (and imo a bit too rushed) They can reach the end of 2 with 3 episodes covering kowloon which was just disc 3 and the last episode the trek, epilogue with Shenhua.

I just realised that Zhang didn't mention Dou Niu to Ryo (or that he's hunting for Zhu) - this seems like a key bit of info strange for the anime to leave out and not build up before introducing Dou Niu, maybe Ryo will learn this from Ren instead?

I hope that in the future there will be a way for Xiuying to teach the elbow counter, my favorite move from the game and in Virtua Fighter. I thought that Xiuying would give him some tips, but considering their relationship and how it is portrayed, I think it makes perfect sense. But she is looking out for him in her own way, but I thought she would help him.

I hope that in the future there will be a way for Xiuying to teach the elbow counter, my favorite move from the game and in Virtua Fighter. I thought that Xiuying would give him some tips, but considering their relationship and how it is portrayed, I think it makes perfect sense. But she is looking out for him in her own way, but I thought she would help him.
Xiuying appears in Kowloon, maybe they've moved a few of her scenes there. The leaf scene is arguably one of the most iconic in Shenmue 2, it'd be a bit weird if it doesn't feature.

Back