Sony will NOT be at E3 2019. What does this mean for Shenmue 3?

I don't see how Sony can meet their end of the bargain to help with marketing this game to a level that justifies console exclusivity without showcasing it at E3 or PSX. Neither of those are happening now. They didn't even post the recent Gamescom trailer on the main Playstation YouTube account.

This is bad news and I think YsNet and Deep Silver should rethink a port to Xbox One.

Last edited:
We have no idea what the partnership with Sony entails, so to say they can't live up to their end of the bargain is a big stretch.

The deal could be "we promote your Kickstarter and feature you prominently on the PS Store upon release", and that's it. We have no idea.

Also, Sony are clearly going to do something else instead, and Shenmue III could very well be a candidate to appear in whatever they choose to do.

Pretty sure they just stick to Magic Monaco these days, which sucks because its the only time we get new shenmue 3 information lol. Man I need an update soon :(

they can still promote it at Gamescom 2019, its only about one month later than E3. (august 20-24)
Deep Silver had booths for Kingdom Come Deliverance, Total War Three Kingdoms, Fist of the North Star
and some other games at Gamescom 2018. (a really big booth for Total War)

so even if they can't boost views with a worldwide Sony E3 trailer, there are still opportunities to promote the game.
they could also show a new trailer in the E3 PC gaming show. Sega promoted the Yakuza Steam ports in that section.

i dont think that they have some kind of exclusive deal where they are only allowed to promote the PS4 version.

It's more a killer for E3 than anything else. With both Nintendo and Sony not there. Also it doesn't mean we can't see anything Shenmue 3 there as Deep Silver could still go. It just means there won't be the big 2015 reveal.

E3 has less and less prominence now with social media being huge and all the big console makers doing their own press shows. I fully expect Sony to do something of their own around E3 & Shenmue could well be a part

As some folks have said, we don't know what are the details of the deal with Sony. Maybe they promote the game after the release on tv, magazines, internet, etc.

The worst part is there aren't events left to see the game apart from Magic Monaco so it'll be difficult to promote the game in early 2019 and we will have surely less chances to watch new trailers and so.

This decision might be bad for the E3 itself but not bad for Shenmue 3. Sony did not much to promote Shenmue 3 so it really does not matter what Sony does. If Deep Silver wants to show the game at E3 they will do it.

Sony is so overated concerning Shenmue 3. They didn't do much for the Game at all, so it does not matter at all what Sony does or not. But that is just me. I have nothing against Sony. I am Playstation user for quite some time now and I like their games and consoles but I still do not like to get credit for Things they did not do.

Shenmue 3 is among those Things. We fans get Shenmue thanks to People at Kickstarter and thanks to Yu Suzuki who was willing to make the Game. Sega also should get some Credits that the gave you the License without any Troubles.

Ok Sony might have helped a bit but not that much to give them the credit for making Shenmue 3 a reality

Have Sony given any indications as to why they are not attending?

They're clearly going the way of Nintendo -- doing their own event(s) where and whenever they feel like it, instead of being forced into a restrictive E3 deadline and timeslot. That's what I got from their ambiguous messaging in the IGN article.

They're clearly going the way of Nintendo -- doing their own event(s) where and whenever they feel like it, instead of being forced into a restrictive E3 deadline and timeslot. That's what I got from their ambiguous messaging in the IGN article.

Yes I think so too. According to the Infos so far they want to explore new ways to to promote their products. So own Events like the Playstation experience could be the future...

Well, if that means that we will not see ever again Shawn Layden's face is ok for me. Last two years E3 Sony's conference sucked. If E3 wants to cover that absence they need to promote publishers, distributors and 3rd parties. Is a good chance for companies like THQ Nordic, Deep Silver owner, so we can still get some Shenmue III there

I'm not too worried about it. Folks in the know have said E3 has consistently gone up in price, which even for companies like Sony has a limit.

It is more of a detriment to E3 than against Shenmue III. It could still be there, as Deep Silver is with THQ Nordic and they have become quite a prominent company of late with developer acquisitions.

Insiders on Reddit that seem fairly knowledgable have hinted Sony will have their own conferences, most likely for PS5 stuff, which is sooner than folks seem to believe.

And let's go ahead and call the hand as it is, honestly---Shenmue has it's following, a massive one that resurrected it. It may grow slightly due to Shenmue I and II being available again, but no amount of marketing is really going to shove it into the "mainstream" territory.

It is and always will be a niche title, though it's popularity may grow to be similar to the Yakuza series, but not much more than that.

I would like to edit in an addendum here--with the recent leaks suggesting conferences of Sony's own to usher in, presumably, the final swan songs for PS4 and ramp up the hype and reveal of the PS5, I would not be surprised to see Shenmue at one of these conferences as a "swan song" title.

Last edited:
What this means for Shenmue III is that the game is scheduled to release on August 27, 2019. There's really nothing further to look into it than that. The next "issue" at hand is that in less than a year from now, we will all be discussing is the logistics behind Shenmue IV, Sega's future plans with the IP, and if/when it will show up on the PS5.

Sony not showing up at E3 means nothing for Shenmue III. If the stars align correctly, we may get a Shenmue IV trailer at the PS5 reveal in 2019-2020. In my opinion, that would be a great megaton announcement to look forward to.

Last edited:
This decision might be bad for the E3 itself but not bad for Shenmue 3. Sony did not much to promote Shenmue 3 so it really does not matter what Sony does. If Deep Silver wants to show the game at E3 they will do it.

Sony is so overated concerning Shenmue 3. They didn't do much for the Game at all, so it does not matter at all what Sony does or not. But that is just me. I have nothing against Sony. I am Playstation user for quite some time now and I like their games and consoles but I still do not like to get credit for Things they did not do.

Shenmue 3 is among those Things. We fans get Shenmue thanks to People at Kickstarter and thanks to Yu Suzuki who was willing to make the Game. Sega also should get some Credits that the gave you the License without any Troubles.

Ok Sony might have helped a bit but not that much to give them the credit for making Shenmue 3 a reality
I will say Sony giving Yu Suzuki stage time to promote the kickstarter was huge. I'm happy for that but beyond that I think it's all up to Deep Silver now on marketing

I wouldn't expect much more from Sony now. They did their job with the announcement and gave us a lot of momentum. The deal is standard for indie exclusivity on Playstation? So expect that.

They didn't even post the recent Gamescom trailer on the main Playstation YouTube account

It was posted on the Playstation Europe Youtube account... But I guess it's a bit weird they didn't post it on the international/main one.

We have no idea what the partnership with Sony entails, so to say they can't live up to their end of the bargain is a big stretch.

The deal could be "we promote your Kickstarter and feature you prominently on the PS Store upon release", and that's it. We have no idea.

Also, Sony are clearly going to do something else instead, and Shenmue III could very well be a candidate to appear in whatever they choose to do.
Sony claims they aren't planning to have ANY event around the time of E3. Of course, they could be lying or change their mind before then, because that sounds like a terrible idea.

Back