Shenmue vs Yakuza (There is some tension)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purposefully incendiary drive-by comment.
Many shenmue fans are just very insecure. Shenmue was cancelled but yakuza kept on giving. Why is more and more yakuza game being made? Where is my shenmue? And when they kept asking about shenmue, people directed them to play yakuza instead. Its then when the insecurity rised up and yelled "shenmue and yakuza has nothing in common!!!!!" "yakuza guy has tattoos and random battles!! (insert angry face)"

Some people just cant handle other peoples points of view.

Yakuza is diametrically opposed to Shenmue in it's design by a comical degree. It's like comparing Police Quest 2 to SWAT 4 ("but one is spawned of the other! but both has realistic police procedures in it!")
Yakuza is clearly a brainchild of someone who knew Shenmue and the exact parts that needed to go to make it a mass marketable, high octane brawler. It barely resembles Shen in almost all fronts.

I got Yakuza 0 for PC because I thought it might be like Shenmue. It's not. Not even a little bit. The open world is more like an overworld. It's its own thing. Vampire Bloodlines, Deus Ex and even Skyrim feel more like Shenmue than Yakuza does. There's not much like either series.

maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Mario Kart fans are just butthurt that GTA is doing it better.

Many shenmue fans are just very insecure. Shenmue was cancelled but yakuza kept on giving. Why is more and more yakuza game being made? Where is my shenmue? And when they kept asking about shenmue, people directed them to play yakuza instead. Its then when the insecurity rised up and yelled "shenmue and yakuza has nothing in common!!!!!" "yakuza guy has tattoos and random battles!! (insert angry face)"

I do not thin that is the case at all. Most Shenmue Fans should now that Shenmue is not Yakuza and Yakuza is no Shenmue.

Yakuza was also kept barely alive for many many years. It was not significant at all. This only changed with 0. Y0 gave the franchise a boast. But before that nobody cared about Yakuza that much.

Und the comparisons between these series are not fact based. In most of the cases that are just troll posts that do not know much about gaming at all.

But that has nothing to do with feeling insecure. Most of the Shenmue fans are old enough to tasted life to it's fullest in every way. Positive and negative.

Most of them are to old to care that much about a video game. Feeling insecure if anybody does not a like game you personally like is not a thing grown up people what do.

Yakuza is the Jackie Chan to Shenmue's Bruce Lee

Shenmue came first.

Yakuza is about over-the-top silliness, Shenmue is generally grounded in reality while larger than life.

Yakuza's combat is simple and geared for flash and style. Shenmue's combat is something the player invests in and can be more complex (more like a fighting game than the arcade-style Yakuza).

If this thread continues to turn into a bitch-fest, it'll be locked.

No more posts like this either, thanks.

Yakuza was also kept barely alive for many many years. It was not significant at all. This only changed with 0. Y0 gave the franchise a boast. But before that nobody cared about Yakuza that much.
Guessing you mean barely kept alive outside of Japan? As the series in Japan only started any sort of decline sales wise after it shifted completely over to PS4 (thanks to Japanese people not buying as many consoles), which thankfully was the point where the series started picking up in other Asian territories and by luck, in Western countries.

Yes I am talking about the western world. I do not know how popular or not popular the series in Japan was or is.

Yes I am talking about the western world. I do not know how popular or not popular the series in Japan was or is.
Popular enough to get several sequels ;) But seriously, the first two games on the PS2 are still (that I'm aware) the best selling games in the series at over 1mil a piece, and I think both 0 and 6 are approaching that going by what Nagoshi has said. Sales from what I vaguely remember were stable but down on the PS3 and once the series dropped the PS3 entirely they declined further, your usual Yakuza release in Japan now is around 200-300K first week, aside from remakes and remasters which are a small fraction of that.

The transition to ps4 wasnt the only thing that didnt help declining sales for the series. It also being yakuza 6 kind of hurt its reputation in japan a bit cause, to putit lightly, alot of fans in japan were not and are not fond of that game. Its actually surprising how much warmly the west recieved it.

Is that true though? Last I remember seeing 6 talked about in Japan was a list of the best adventure games voted by Famitsu readers, and Yakuza 6 ranked pretty high in that list, beat only by Yakuza 0, and somehow Yakuza 4... Shenmue 2 also ranked as well which is cool. Granted that's just a subset of Japanese audiences, but I still think its a cool tidbit that proves that the hate for the game was overblown somewhat.
I felt some of the complaints I saw about 6 (around the time of the import) were just bloody stupid, stuff about impure Haruka is just creepy. I was glad to see 6 received nicely over here, as aside from some technical and gameplay issues down to how it launched with a new engine, its a solid game and certainly one that my opinion grows with each passing sequel. It wasn't the perfect send off for Kiryu, but it was still darn good.

The way I see it, Shenmue is like chess and Yakuza is like candyland. There is nothing wrong per se with liking BOTH chess and candy land but you can't seriously compare the two.

Is that true though? Last I remember seeing 6 talked about in Japan was a list of the best adventure games voted by Famitsu readers, and Yakuza 6 ranked pretty high in that list, beat only by Yakuza 0, and somehow Yakuza 4... Shenmue 2 also ranked as well which is cool. Granted that's just a subset of Japanese audiences, but I still think its a cool tidbit that proves that the hate for the game was overblown somewhat.
I felt some of the complaints I saw about 6 (around the time of the import) were just bloody stupid, stuff about impure Haruka is just creepy. I was glad to see 6 received nicely over here, as aside from some technical and gameplay issues down to how it launched with a new engine, its a solid game and certainly one that my opinion grows with each passing sequel. It wasn't the perfect send off for Kiryu, but it was still darn good.
6 definetly had actual hate, its amazon rating has gone up alot since release and its still the lowest rated of the games

at release it was like at around a 1.5, the purity stuff was there but so was like, complaints about the lack of content from past games like the arena, thr combat system, and the AWFUL main villain and final boss being kiryu's final battle. At the time much like tales of zestiria, it was so hated there was an entire wikia made centered around pointing out how much parts of it didnt work. In contrast judge eyes seemed pretty well liked, but also sold much lower than 6.

I imagine hate has died down a bit, but its without a doubt polarizing amongst fans. Something not entirely exclusive to japanese fans cause 6 typically does rank down there with 3 as the worst when i talk to most people about the series, bit very rarely do i see someone hate it usually and on average i see people rank 3 lower.

Last edited:
6 definetly had actual hate, its amazon rating has gone up alot since release and its still the lowest rated of the games

at release it was like at around a 1.5, the purity stuff was there but so was like, complaints about the lack of content from past games like the arena, thr combat system, and the AWFUL main villain and final boss being kiryu's final battle. At the time much like tales of zestiria, it was so hated there was an entire wikia made centered around pointing out how much parts of it didnt work. In contrast judge eyes seemed pretty well liked, but also sold much lower than 6.

I imagine hate has died down a bit, but its without a doubt polarizing amongst fans. Something not entirely exclusive to japanese fans cause 6 typically does rank down there with 3 as the worst when i talk to most people about the series, bit very rarely do i see someone hate it usually and on average i see people rank 3 lower.

Amazon Japan reviews are the most useless metric to compare anything to though. Its like User Ratings on Metacritic and such, they'll bomb it for absolutely any reason so I'm not really going to consider that a great way of gauging the popularity of the game to be honest. As for 3 getting ranked low... no comment on that one aside from me disagreeing hard on that. I know its not exactly the case in Japan, as Mine is beloved over there. Heck RGGS have talked about how popular his card and big side content for RGG Online was when it was recently released, to the point he was almost made the main character in the next chapter of the series. I get some people have it out for the slower pace at times, but that game is seriously not the worst the series has to offer by a long shot.

I enjoyed the first three Yakuza games, then it bored the hell out of me, to the point I dropped the series completely.
The only things it has in common with Shenmue is that they are set in Asian countries, they have a Japanese main character and they both have fighting mechanics.
Aside of already mentioned gameplay differences and issues, one of the things that bother me most of Yakuza is its narrative lacking of consistency. There are way too much cutscene type. Some of them rely on motion captured, dubbing, proper direction, other are staged as dubbed dialogues but without motion capture and any direction and then there are also text only dialogues... it’s a mess and it becomes more and more confusing with new entries in the series.
At some point they also added static, comics like cutscenes... enough!!!
Moreover I always felt like it is way too parodic and exaggerated than needed, especially when it come to side quests narrative.
Shenmue I and II are still a lot more refined and consistent in each of their part. The narrative is conveyed in a more efficient way and as much as it sure have some light hearted moments, they are blended flawlessly in the story without being out of place.
Some years ago Yakuza used to be labeled as the dumb cousin of Shenmue and I honestly think it deserve that name because as much as it kept alive some of the mechanics that we loved of Shenmue, it soon fell static and repetitive.
To be honest I think that the devs never really had chance to improve the formula because Sega was too focused on the almost yearly release to let them work as they should.
The results are 11 original games + 2 remake and multiple remasters in less than 20 yeas...It’s insane!

Just wait till the judgement series Ip takes off with its own series of multiple entries & create it's own cult of Die-hards...Is Sega trying to experiment its own "Romance of the three Kingdoms" drama with its top 3 killer Brands? Sega needs to play nice and stop ignoring factions of its fanbase & try to unite them, if they wanna avoid a Civil war 2.0. Just saying. :whistle:

Just wait till the judgement series Ip takes off with its own series of multiple entries & create it's own cult of Die-hards...Is Sega trying to experiment its own "Romance of the three Kingdoms" drama with its top 3 killer Brands? Sega needs to play nice and stop ignoring factions of its fanbase & try to unite them, if they wanna avoid a Civil war 2.0. Just saying. :whistle:
'Stop playing Yakuza and go play Judgement!'

*Sigh* It's gonna happen.

They only things they really have in common to me is Japanese men go around getting into fights... occasionally kills time at the arcade.

Yakuza is a soap opera styled story.
Shenmue is more like a classic Epic adventure.

Yakuza's combat is what I'd imagine a 2019 streets of rage to play like(somewhat).
Shenmue's combat has a real depth of complexity(If you're willing to put in the work)

It's impressive how much Yakuza fits into that small hubworld. The sidequests aren't quite Witcher 3 level, but it's easy to get sidetracked and ask yourself "WTF am I doing" when completing the quests. There's not really that many sidequests in Shenmue a lot of it seems to tied to completing some of those seemingly impossible minigames; although I did like how easy it was to miss Fang Mei's bday, or not see the resolution of the Orphaned cat if you don't care to talk with Fang Mei or interact with the cat.

I enjoy both, but Shenmue is the granddaddy of them all.

Last edited:
If this thread continues to turn into a bitch-fest, it'll be locked.

No more posts like this either, thanks.
Did I step on your toes or why so cranky?
Am I smelling favouritisms here? I think you just proved my point by silencing me because of my point of view.
Ok, ok, lets play nice so no feelings get hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back