Shenmue: Reclaiming the Path

Looks great!
Not sure I understand the questions. :)

Some areas are exactly the same as the game. Areas like Bailu, I had to do a lot of it myself as far as landscapes go. I reduced polys on Shenmue 3 assets and applied Shenmue 2 textures to them, and then adjusted the UV's until they were properly alligned.

Shazhou, the new village, is quite a bit of new geometry that I made from scratch. I created new flooring, stairs, a temple, and landscape.
By "Dreamcast-ish" specs, I just meant lower poly assets more in line with S1/2. Awesome that you took actual S3 models and applied S2 textures!

I guess with the lighting/shadow question, I was imagining that you can use assets from S2, but any real-time lighting/shadow is a seperate thing that must need to be reimplemented in Unity.

Looks great!

By "Dreamcast-ish" specs, I just meant lower poly assets more in line with S1/2. Awesome that you took actual S3 models and applied S2 textures!

I guess with the lighting/shadow question, I was imagining that you can use assets from S2, but any real-time lighting/shadow is a seperate thing that must need to be reimplemented in Unity.
Ya, Unity takes care of a lot of it and I use a couple assets to help with lighting. I had to make a couple sacrifices with the lighting because I have a day/night cycle, so I can't "bake the lighting". I could apply normals to textures to create more texture in the lighting, but with dreamcast era textures, it often looks bad. I think I hit a happy medium. Have to get to bed though. goodnight!1713931954956.png

Nice work 👏 Yeah, I think normals are a step too far for a game trying to recapture that Dreamcast-era look and feel. Colour lighting is all you need :cool:

Amazing work George ! We briefly met when you were at Magic Monaco...or was it your brother...? 🤷‍♂️

Unrelated question to this thrilling project we can't thank you enough go work on... I always wondered if there were unused material in the S2 script you got from the kickstarter. I'm not boldly asking to disclose them, just wondering if there were any, since Yu-San said Shenmue 2 was 80% of chapter 2 (which could mean all of it or most of it).
Thanks again ! 👏

This is absolutely gorgeous! I am positively stunned by the amount of detail and talented work by the Kitchen Brothers. September can't come faster though...

Amazing work George ! We briefly met when you were at Magic Monaco...or was it your brother...? 🤷‍♂️

Unrelated question to this thrilling project we can't thank you enough go work on... I always wondered if there were unused material in the S2 script you got from the kickstarter. I'm not boldly asking to disclose them, just wondering if there were any, since Yu-San said Shenmue 2 was 80% of chapter 2 (which could mean all of it or most of it).
Thanks again ! 👏
You'll have to remind me of who you are and I can tell you if we've met. :)

I have both scripts for 1&2, like LanDC and Peter C.

The boat chapter is at the end of the first script. It's interesting but doesn't contain much outside of the chai comic.

The 2nd script starts and ends with Shenmue 2's story, but in between has a few additions. None are extreme or change the core of the story.

I agreed not to share the scripts with anyone, but I don't see a problem with mentioning a couple small details.

You don't reach Zhu in time in the script. He is taken to Suzhou. You only are told what to do through a letter he wrote before being taken.

This is all we needed Shenmue 3(and the games that follow it) to be. Who cares about modern graphics that really aren’t even that modern. This game looks amazing. I only hope it has the same Shenmue gameplay of “Do you know where I can find x?” “Go look for this person.”
I agree. Look at some of the biggest games of the past 15 years, like Minecraft.
Video game graphics advancing didn't mean the old style had to die, the same way modern music and 80's inspired music can coexist.

I still absolutely love Shenmue's aesthetic and would have loved Shenmue 3 to look like Shenmue 2.

This is so on spot... I need to check if Im dreaming. Best of luck to this georgeous project.
Im aware that Sega is more friendly towards fandom tributes and imo this singular case falls into fair use, but... Please, we better keep it low in socials until release date is closer. It must happen.

Video game graphics advancing didn't mean the old style had to die, the same way modern music and 80's inspired music can coexist.
Missing the PS2 days when was usual refering to people who only considered games by their graphics as "visual biches" or "graphics hores". Today those are the main target, Im afraid.

This was Sega's message a few years back. The last thing I can remember that they took down was in 2016.
I don't keep up with news but Dreams of Saturn's trailer came out months before release and I never had any issues.

1714058312552.png

This was Sega's message a few years back. The last thing I can remember that they took down was in 2016.
I don't keep up with news but Dreams of Saturn's trailer came out months before release and I never had any issues.

View attachment 19617
Put it another way if they shut this down it would suggest that they are planning on actually using the Shenmue IP for a game IMO. They shut down a SOR project fairly recently and then popped up with their own game.

They're typically pretty cool with fan-stuff and even encourage people to make Sonic projects.

Put it another way if they shut this down it would suggest that they are planning on actually using the Shenmue IP for a game IMO. They shut down a SOR project fairly recently and then popped up with their own game.
If we were talking about some other companies, there wouldn't be any relation between shutting down fan projects due some official release. Square Enix and big N pops in mind. But being Sega I would also suspect similarly to you.
Anyway, Im glouton and want both. This project and S4. The main character is one of the most (if not the most) important secondaries from the series to me, for reasons that doesn't come to explain atm. Really hoping to put hands on this, which isn't just respectful and appropiate: this is an ode.
They're typically pretty cool with fan-stuff and even encourage people to make Sonic projects.
That's the smart move. I didn't knew they were active and positive vocal with it.
Its good to see more japanese studios getting into that trend. Sunsoft also is very friendly towards fan projects.
History has proven this makes games lifespan longer, if not eternal. Quake case for example.

Go for it, then. I hope you understand my initial fears and didn't sound like a bummer. May the wude be with you ;)

The Dreams of Saturn project and now this one has gotten me really excited for future fan projects. I really hope this inspires other fans to do the same with the Shenmue world.

The Dreams of Saturn project and now this one has gotten me really excited for future fan projects. I really hope this inspires other fans to do the same with the Shenmue world.

I hope this doesn't come across as negative, but I think after this game and DOS 2.0, I might be done with fan games. I'll be approaching 45 years old and have neglected a lot of priorities in the last year. As you said, it would be great if someone more skilled than me started a big fan game. I kind of feel like I'm taking on too big of a project with this one. Lots of messages sent to me don't realize that this isn't a large scale project with a large team behind it. Expectations are a little high right now and I'm worried about it.

Japanese voiceovers and a Dreamcast port aren't remotely possible..

In the mean time, it's still a fun process overall and glad to see the positivity from the community!

For what it’s worth, it’s a great proof of concept that Shenmue 1-2 art style could be executed very well for future installments. It’s likely easier to pull that off than stand out amongst AAA games with amazing graphics. That retro look is both unique and appealing and a testament to the aesthetic quality of the original Shenmue series. I’m always an optimist about these types of things but I could see Shenmue IV with retro graphics pulling eyes just due to the novelty. But I’m not sure that’s something YS is interested in.

Is this more or an action platformer? Some of the segments looked that way.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, it’s a great proof of concept that Shenmue 1-2 art style could be executed very well for future installments. It’s likely easier to pull that off than stand out amongst AAA games with amazing graphics. That retro look is both unique and appealing and a testament to the aesthetic quality of the original Shenmue series. I’m always an optimist about these types of things but I could see Shenmue IV with retro graphics pulling eyes just due to the novelty. But I’m not sure that’s something YS is interested in.

Is this more or an action platformer? Some of the segments looked that way.
I agree. Shenmue 3 as a more pseudo realistic presentation would have been more in line with the series than the quite realistic one we got. It wasn't 100% realistic but was pretty close.

There is some platforming in my game but not too extreme. Sort of like the area in Guilin where you steer Ryo over narrow gaps and a qte starts if you get too close to the edge. There is a health bar in some areas that when drained, you start the map over. Booby traps, falls from heights, falling into pools of hot water, stuff like that. Trying to keep them within the realm of reality. No jumping mechanical fish badnicks biting at you.

Back