Shenmue Lost points for being "too Perfect!"

Mmmm, its Wikipedia? (anyone can edit it)

Shenmue is never going to be a media darling...too much corrupt myopia for them to see Shenmue’s vision...

Nowhere in the review caption does it mention the game as being "too perfect." Misleading quotations in the thread title!

The KnowYourMeme page is just flat out incorrect. In the revew being referenced, this is never said. In fact, it's quite the opposite:
Breathtaking, with a very few minor flaws that might affect gameplay, but in no way does it take away from the enjoyment.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2000/11/04/shenmue

Edit: Actually, it is brought up, but then immediately written off by the author. The final score wasn't affected by it:
If it sounds like I'm holding all these very small mistakes against the game, believe me I'm not. In fact, the only reason why I'm wasting time talking about such minute details is because these are the only mistakes, insignificant at best, that might annoy you during the long hours of gameplay you'll achieve. And again, when you have such a wonderfully produced game of Shenmue's quality, the smallest mistakes can sometimes seem pretty big. It's like having an immaculate Ferrari, freshly washed and waxed, only to have a small pebble shatter on your hood, causing a slight scratch - sometimes the smallest mistakes look big. But these minor problems are easily forgotten when there's so much amazing splendor, from visuals to audio, to take in.

Last edited:
Back