Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

FF7 rebirth has sold 2m copies which is way lower than I'd have anticipated.

Call that at an average of $50 for a copy that's $100m revenue before it is then split. If it's covered development costs it'll be tight.

This is why Shenmue games need to be mindful of budget and market size unfortunately.

I never understood it. FF7 is an incredible game. Why remake it? What’s the point? Presumably money, but it has cost a fortune and flopped.
I just beat FF7 Rebirth yesterday. Fantastic game, but the ending is a little confusing. I won't go into specifics as I don't want to spoil anything for anyone.

I wouldn't say that the remake has flopped. The first game sold a ton, more than likely paying for the developement of both sequels. There are various factors as to why Rebirth hasn't been selling as well, but it isn't a quality problem. Gaming is a luxury, and most people don't have the funds to go out and purchase every $70 game that looks interesting to them. The world economy is in shambles and that will directly impact luxury purchases.

That said, one thing I don't understand is why the PS5 version of FF7 Remake is going for obscene amounts of money. Generally starts at the $80-$100 range and goes up to $400 depending. I was considering getting the PS5 disc version of the game as it's a contender for PS5's wall of fame that I do, but not at those prices.

I just beat FF7 Rebirth yesterday. Fantastic game, but the ending is a little confusing. I won't go into specifics as I don't want to spoil anything for anyone.

I wouldn't say that the remake has flopped. The first game sold a ton, more than likely paying for the developement of both sequels. There are various factors as to why Rebirth hasn't been selling as well, but it isn't a quality problem. Gaming is a luxury, and most people don't have the funds to go out and purchase every $70 game that looks interesting to them. The world economy is in shambles and that will directly impact luxury purchases.

That said, one thing I don't understand is why the PS5 version of FF7 Remake is going for obscene amounts of money. Generally starts at the $80-$100 range and goes up to $400 depending. I was considering getting the PS5 disc version of the game as it's a contender for PS5's wall of fame that I do, but not at those prices.
I never played the original FF7 but really liked the remake. I haven't got it yet simply due to the commitment needed. I've heard it's even bigger than the last game and the fact it doesn't even finish the story means I'm in no rush to play it.

I never played the original FF7 but really liked the remake. I haven't got it yet simply due to the commitment needed. I've heard it's even bigger than the last game and the fact it doesn't even finish the story means I'm in no rush to play it.
Yeah, no need to rush. I would say, wait for a price drop if you can. While worth the $70, it's always nice to save some money. I replayed Remake (part 1) before Rebirth (part 2) came out. It took me about 43 hours or so to beat it. Rebirth, I skipped a ton of side objectives and it still took me about 55 hours to beat. I've heard if you're a completionist, it can take 100+ hours.

The only way Shenmue IV happens at this point is if Sega gives YS the budget and autonomy to make the game. All roads lead back to Sega. Being back at the mercy of Sega is the worst position to be in as a fan, but here we are.

Have you played them? Remake and Rebirth are incredible and they absolutely justify their existence.
I haven’t, and that’s why I haven’t commented on their quality or, indeed, any actual aspect of them. I don’t doubt they’re well made but my point was that the actual FF7 was more than fine as it is. If they’re good games, great – obviously that’s preferable to them being bad – but that wasn’t what I was getting at with my comment.

The only way Shenmue IV happens at this point is if Sega gives YS the budget and autonomy to make the game. All roads lead back to Sega. Being back at the mercy of Sega is the worst position to be in as a fan, but here we are.
It's sad, but I've moved on from Shenmue. Before Shenmue 3 was announced, there wasn't a week that went by without me thinking about it. The fact that it launched in a bit of a state and never really moved the story forward annoyed me. Started to blame Yu himself when the game ended saying the story will continue without any solid plans.

Was then really pissed off when the anime was announced but again didn't move the story forward. Just way too many opportunities missed to finish the story.

I haven’t, and that’s why I haven’t commented on their quality or, indeed, any actual aspect of them. I don’t doubt they’re well made but my point was that the actual FF7 was more than fine as it is. If they’re good games, great – obviously that’s preferable to them being bad – but that wasn’t what I was getting at with my comment.
I disagree of course the original FF7 is one of the greatest games of all time but what if people wanted to experience that game again or the first time but modernized with very fun and different gameplay, variant and colorful worlds, yes og ff7 was fine but it wasn’t or ain’t no shenmue 1, shenmue 1 has 10x times the graphics of og ff7 and their only 2 years apart some or a lot of ppl won’t play because how it looks, i played and completed both remake and rebirth and their very fun and amazing games, remake had a lot of interesting and mysterious moments the gameplay throughs parts of the story or objectives.

I disagree that cause old games that are fine should be left yea some or a lot but there’s a lot of games that deserve or need a remake but a faithful one (does it right or justice, respects the legacy it can also be different and still do those things. I wouldn’t say that out loud that old games that are fine don’t need or deserve a remake cause other gamers and the gaming industry is watching.

I disagree of course the original FF7 is one of the greatest games of all time but what if people wanted to experience that game again or the first time but modernized with very fun and different gameplay, variant and colorful worlds, yes og ff7 was fine but it wasn’t or ain’t no shenmue 1, shenmue 1 has 10x times the graphics of og ff7 and their only 2 years apart some or a lot of ppl won’t play because how it looks, i played and completed both remake and rebirth and their very fun and amazing games, remake had a lot of interesting and mysterious moments the gameplay throughs parts of the story or objectives.

I disagree that cause old games that are fine should be left yea some or a lot but there’s a lot of games that deserve or need a remake but a faithful one (does it right or justice, respects the legacy it can also be different and still do those things. I wouldn’t say that out loud that old games that are fine don’t need or deserve a remake cause other gamers and the gaming industry is watching.
Well, that’s fine, that’s your opinion. I was just explaining why I wasn’t interested. I’m glad you and other people have enjoyed them.

But that's kind of my point. They're not just a remake. They have made something entirely new from the source material and are taking the story in a very different direction. It's greatly expanded. If it was a 1:1 identical remake, I would possibly agree, but it's honestly a very different thing from the original.

But that's kind of my point. They're not just a remake. They have made something entirely new from the source material and are taking the story in a very different direction. It's greatly expanded. If it was a 1:1 identical remake, I would possibly agree, but it's honestly a very different thing from the original.
Well, then, from the sound of it it’s not totally pointless. If they managed to do that without ruining it, and judging from your reaction they did, then that’s a good thing.

I'm still suprised to hear that Rebirth's sales are in decline, of course it is a sequel but FF7 Remake was made very accessibile via PS+. I honestly think beyond the game itself it's a the state of the industry:

1. The launch price of £70 for games is absurd. I've noticed I very rarely buy games Day One anymore due to extortion - Let alone the state of games at launch with incoming patches, it's usually best to wait 3+ months these days. Then there is DLC, Season Passes, look at how the upcoming Star Wars:Outlaws game is been ripped to shreds online for the complete Experience being over £100+ I know I am fed up with the price of gaming and sadly have to be VERY reserved on the purchases I make now. I will say however, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth took me a whopping 120+ hours & despite £75, i felt i still got a LOT of game in this experience!

2. The flood of games! This isn't normally a problem but it seems that every month there is at least 2-3 very decent games being released, I simply can't keep up any more! This year alone I had to schedule my gaming calendar, I chose to wait on Infinite Wealth as I wanted to experience Rebirth instantly and did not want to rush through it, so held back & have only just started playing Gaiden. In between, there has been Persona 3 Reload (Well, I'm holding on that due to poor DLC practices) & Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden - Which chose to release right in the middle of Infinite Wealth & Rebrith... there was simply no chance! While I love Dontnod Games it is a game I will be holding off because I know I will be busy with Gaiden/Infinite Wealth until June!

Shenmue IV
of course doesn't have to be as grande in scale as Rebirth but it does need to be a step up from the previous game now - I still like Shenmue III and actualy thought it looked and played great but the lacking of narrative progression still hurts. I've been saying it for years, but I still think collaborating with Ryu Gatoku Studios would be the best out come for Shenmue. They make decent budget games, can offer a decent combat system, open-city experience and put a lot of detail into their narratives. I think the shake up would give the series the kick up the backside it needs and with Yakuza/Like A Dragon as a more established franchise these days would hopefully gather a bigger fanbase.

1. The launch price of £70 for games is absurd. I've noticed I very rarely buy games Day One anymore due to extortion

Don't know about prices. Video games are the one medium of entertainment that hasn't really increased in price all that much over the years, when adjusted to take into account inflation. If anything, the prices are lower than they were in the 16 bit generation and certainly that the price of N64 games

Look at the price increases of food, cinema tickets, books, and I have no idea what else over the years. Then look at video games where some Mega Drive and SNES games could set up back as much as £70-75 thirty years ago and decades later they haven't really changed that much.

It's because video games bucked the trend by passing on savings to the customer briefly during the move to compact discs in the PS1/Saturn to Dreamcast/PS2/Gamecube/XB generations. But that bubble was always going to burst eventually.

Don't know about prices. Video games are the one medium of entertainment that hasn't really increased in price all that much over the years, when adjusted to take into account inflation. If anything, the prices are lower than they were in the 16 bit generation and certainly that the price of N64 games

Look at the price increases of food, cinema tickets, books, and I have no idea what else over the years. Then look at video games where some Mega Drive and SNES games could set up back as much as £70-75 thirty years ago and decades later they haven't really changed that much.

It's because video games bucked the trend by passing on savings to the customer briefly during the move to compact discs in the PS1/Saturn to Dreamcast/PS2/Gamecube/XB generations. But that bubble was always going to burst eventually.
Add in that development budgets were considerably lower back then as well. It meant prices could stay relatively stable. Unless gaming moves away from these insane budgets then the £70 game is here to stay.

Look at the price increases of food, cinema tickets, books,
Yeah. I'm getting ready to release my first book and the pricing killed me. I was forced to up the price from what I wanted or be responsible for losing money on each copy sold... something I can't afford.

As an example, my hardcover is unfortunately priced at $27.99. Out of that, I will only see about $3 after printing and all other costs for each copy sold.

£70 to me is a psychological barrier. Of course older games were that price back then, but you got a case, manual and it felt like you got something for your money that you can hold in your hands. Nowadays you're lucky to get a disc in a case. I'd gladly pay full whack if games didn't need so much freaking patches...i'd rather hold off and get a complete experience at a cheaper cost, but I realise i'm part of the problem.

As for FVII Rebirth, I'm desperate to get it, but sadly £70 is a lot for me (even though I bet it's one of the few games to be worth the cost). I have a ticket for the Royal Albert Hall show and I got the 8 disc OST, but they were limited edition. It deserves to be more successful, that's for sure.

Gaming is in a weird place at the moment and I don't understand it. Part of me wants the industry to be purified and start again at times. Pure realism bores the shit out of me. I'm so lucky to have grown up in the 8-bit era all the way to HD, but i'd gladly live in a world of realistic budgets!

As for FVII Rebirth, I'm desperate to get it, but sadly £70 is a lot for me (even though I bet it's one of the few games to be worth the cost)

Not sure if it helps, but if you did want to pick it up, I am sure you can get it below £70. I picked it up for £60 on release day.

Not sure if it helps, but if you did want to pick it up, I am sure you can get it below £70. I picked it up for £60 on release day.
I have seen it for £50 brand new on eBay, but trying to be good and wait for payday (trying to be a responsible husband and pay off a lot of the wedding first!)

I have seen it for £50 brand new on eBay, but trying to be good and wait for payday (trying to be a responsible husband and pay off a lot of the wedding first!)

I know the feeling haha. I swear it's getting harder and harder to wait for pay day lately. It feels like we're getting squeezed tighter and tighter with the cost of everything going up so much.

Back