Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

Every year I'm seeing more and more incredible AA games that are seemingly hitting their goals for their publishers. At the same time, technology (engines and AI) are advancing with leaps and bounds at a rapid clip. You can do exponentially more with less funds now than you could in the 90s. I don't know what it is about Shenmue games that is so difficult to get them made. Scope it and scale it appropriately and let's get it moving.

Which country would Ryo fight in WW3? Would he fight at all?
I'm not sure if you're being serious. I mean... I hope you're not being serious because that means you have no idea how close the nuclear annihilation of humanity really is. We have America meddling with the Ukraine for a decade, causing the ball to start rolling towards the war we've been watching or part of. We have Russia, China and now N. Korea teaming up and providing each other weapons. We have America and the rest of NATO debating on bringing Ukraine into the fold. If that happens... we are in serous trouble. The world is two bad decisions away from human extinction.

So who would Ryo fight? He wouldn't. As he's from the 80's, he'd probably take cold war logic and duck under a desk when the mushroom cloud erupts. That'll protect him.

500,000 is a pretty big ask for a niche series, but also nowhere near enough to justify a $10 million budget. Assuming those are full price sales (again, a big ask), they’d be looking at around $30 million gross, but the net profit is significantly less than this.

Epic takes 5% ($1.5m) as a licensing fee for UE5 and Steam/Sony/Microsoft take another 30% or so for all digital sales. For physical sales, manufacturing, shipping, retailer costs, and platform fees end up eating up around 50% of the total sale price, so assuming around half of those 500,000 sales are physical and the other half are digital, the publisher will come away with around $16.5m.

$6.5m may seem like a decent return at first glance, but for them to sell 500,000 copies at $60, they’re going to have to market the game pretty well. Most publishers spend between $0.25 and $0.50 for every dollar spent during development on marketing, which on a $10 million budget, works out to be between $2.5m and $5m, thus bringing the total profit down to just $1.5m - $4m.

Again, that’s still a profit, right, but what if the team goes over budget? By all accounts, the development of Shenmue 1 and 2 dragged on for a lot longer than Sega had originally intended (Nagoshi had to be brought in to wrap things up and get the first game over the line, iirc) and Shenmue 3 was delayed multiple times, which Deep Silver will have had to foot the bill for. Suddenly, that $1.5m - $4m is being used to pay for a delay and the project is in the red. Oh, and YS Net still needs to be paid developer royalties if there is any kind of profit left over.

Even if everything does go smoothly and the game comes out on time, do you really think there are many publishers who will want to take that kind of gamble? The number of people who backed the Kickstarter was nowhere near 500,000, so they’d be banking on a lot of non-Shenmue fans picking up the game at full price. Sure, it’s possible that Mr. Suzuki could find a way to make the game more appealing to mainstream gamers, but who’s to say that he doesn’t alienate some of the existing fans in doing so?

I’m not trying to piss on your picnic or anything and firmly believe that there is a way to make another Shenmue game financially viable, but it is not quite as simple as them just finding a publisher who can afford to drop $10m on the project and then promising 500,000 sales. As fans, it’s easy for us to make these kinds of suggestions on a forum, but in reality, securing funding for a project of this scale is difficult work and is going to take time. It may also take some pretty big compromises on Mr. Suzuki’s part, and so I think that we as a fanbase should prepare ourselves for that.

You are not wrong, but I don't think the situation is that gloomy.
I usually take Yakuza as an example: there were times when Sega was able to make profit with even less than 400k (and not even always at full price) with development costs always around 10mil. per episode, so It's definitely possible if the yakuza series is alive and kickin' and now even bigger than before.

Also 500k isn't a big deal, even the worst indie nowadays breaks that barrier.
Even Shenmue 3 wasn't that far from that numbers in theory, and don't forget that Shenmue 3 was a victim of hate campaign before and after the release, it basically received "anti marketing" between socials hate and the poor job on Deep Silver side.
Still it did "fine" according to deep silver, imagine with a good marketing campaing and no hate...

It's only a matter to find a decent publisher and not another DS that was only hunting the Kikstarter golden goose...

Also 500k isn't a big deal, even the worst indie nowadays breaks that barrier.
Lol. Okay bud. Here is Yu Suzuki’s personal email address. You should drop him a line and let him know how easy it is, because I don’t think he got the memo. Better to add another 10% or so onto this figure though, as I forgot to include Sega’s licensing fee in my previous napkin math. In fact, you might wanna make that 20%, as the big wigs at Sega will probably want to hang onto a significant chunk of the merchandising rights like they did last time, further impacting any potential publisher’s ability to monetize their investment.

#ShenmueSaved

Lol. Okay bud. Here is Yu Suzuki’s personal email address. You should drop him a line and let him know how easy it is, because I don’t think he got the memo. Better to add another 10% or so onto this figure though, as I forgot to include Sega’s licensing fee in my previous napkin math. In fact, you might wanna make that 20%, as the big wigs at Sega will probably want to hang onto a significant chunk of the merchandising rights like they did last time, further impacting any potential publisher’s ability to monetize their investment.

#ShenmueSaved
*cries*

I'm pretty sure that in 4 years Shenmue 3 has sold over 500 thousand copies in total. (backers include) Maybe half are on big promotions though.

The funny thing is that Shenmue IV would do better on the sales charts if it's not on a kickstarter. Instead of giving out $200 for a kickstarter, I'll buy 3 copies and give two of them for friends birthdays.

But is it enough to pass 500 thousand... I hope SEGA is one of the partners who fund the game. This will help a lot in convincing an investor if no license is paid in advance. Although the eventual profits will be less the more companies involved.

Nobody said it would be easy! :D

But is it enough to pass 500 thousand... I hope SEGA is one of the partners who fund the game. This will help a lot in convincing an investor if no license is paid in advance. Although the eventual profits will be less the more companies involved.

Nobody said it would be easy! :D
Investor: hmm I'm not sure...
Yu-san: SEEE-GAAA
Investor: aya! I'm convinced!

It irks me a little bit that you see Yu with all these industry insiders and developers in social media posts, yet none of them are helping him to get Shenmue made. They have connections, they say how much Shenmue meant to them and inspired them and they obviously consider him a big influence of the industry. But they do jack shit lol.

Talk is cheap 😞

How much do you think shenmue 3 has sold worldwide make a hypothesis
If I had to guess... with the multiple copies people have bought on here and the deep discounts and interest garnered from the success of the Kickstarter as well as the relase of the first two games on modern platforms just before the release, I'd say that we hit somewhere between 300k-500k units sold for the third game.

If I had to guess... with the multiple copies people have bought on here and the deep discounts and interest garnered from the success of the Kickstarter as well as the relase of the first two games on modern platforms just before the release, I'd say that we hit somewhere between 300k-500k units sold for the third game.
Oh gosh i’m not trying to sound like a hater here i’m a big fan but isn’t that bad? or is that good idk what is the average game sale for a yakuza game i mean i thought it sold a little over a million copies shenmue 1 sold 1.2m

Oh gosh i’m not trying to sound like a hater here i’m a big fan but isn’t that bad? or is that good idk what is the average game sale for a yakuza game i mean i thought it sold a little over a million copies shenmue 1 sold 1.2m
To be fair, I have zero idea how many copies have been sold. My understanding is that the sales didn't meet the expectations of the publisher but was still considered "fine" the last I saw. So who really knows in a world where everything has been turned upsidedown purposofuly to create chaos and discord. Shenmue 3 sales are so low on the totempole of importance in the grand scheme of things that I just don't have the ability to care. Sure, it's important on this site because this is Shenmue Dojo, but I'm not sure hard sales data has been documented for the game.

To be fair, I have zero idea how many copies have been sold. My understanding is that the sales didn't meet the expectations of the publisher but was still considered "fine" the last I saw. So who really knows in a world where everything has been turned upsidedown purposofuly to create chaos and discord. Shenmue 3 sales are so low on the totempole of importance in the grand scheme of things that I just don't have the ability to care. Sure, it's important on this site because this is Shenmue Dojo, but I'm not sure hard sales data has been documented for the game.
Do you think shenmue 4 will get made?

That publisher is always whining when they don't hit close to a million sales! They already pocketed their money by jumping into bed with the Epic Games Store deal, and in doing so, they totally tanked the game's reputation.

I'll break it down but agian based on nothing more than guesswork:

Full price: 150k
In sales: 200-250k
Freebie from Epic: 700k

So I reckon there could be 1m 'copies' in circulation with the large majoirty being in sales/free. That's the issue has it seen say 400k sales at full price I expect the numbers might be slightly better.

Back