Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

It's pretty swell of him if you believe him and are willing to go through the mental gymnastics required to find logic in it. So he's just going to let the franchise die and only "save" it if he feels its at the point of the story nearing its conclusion? What if another 4 years pass and there's still no sign of Shenmue 4? Is he still going to sit on his massive piles of cash he generates by exploiting people's FOMO and targeting large franchises for overpriced physical editions that could have received normal retail releases at a lower sale value?

I don't think this guy would actually do the things he says. It's one thing to have intentions, it's another if it actually happens. Until we see a realized product on the table, it's all just talk. I will be grateful when I see a results.

And the fact that no publisher wants to fund a game like Shenmue 4 and use it for something good, just speaks to the sad reality of the game industry today. It's crazy to drop such a legendary project. The prestige they will gain will be returned to them many times over. I just don't understand the publishers anymore. :) It's clear that they must understand marketing and sales... But so little understanding of gaming, so little understanding of the influence a game has over an entire generation of gamers... It's a shame, really.

Businesses like money and like being risk averse. I wish a small publisher would take the risk, but then I wonder if some would if Yu Suzuki was willing to (or able to) reduce the budget he wants/needs.

The Chinese release never happened of Shenmue 3. So that's why.

I doubt he asked Apple to fund 4 and if he did holding to the Apple Arcade platform, even if only for a year, would be suicide.

The link is the advert for the floor they gave up.
Why was S3 never released in China? That was probably also the reason Ryo and Shenhua were given separate rooms to appease Chinese censors.

Why was S3 never released in China? That was probably also the reason Ryo and Shenhua were given separate rooms to appease Chinese censors.
That's just guesswork and we have no proof of that.

Again, while I have no concrete evidence I expect it comes down to the very strict requirements China has around video games and content that is set there.

It's pretty swell of him if you believe him and are willing to go through the mental gymnastics required to find logic in it. So he's just going to let the franchise die and only "save" it if he feels its at the point of the story nearing its conclusion? What if another 4 years pass and there's still no sign of Shenmue 4? Is he still going to sit on his massive piles of cash he generates by exploiting people's FOMO and targeting large franchises for overpriced physical editions that could have received normal retail releases at a lower sale value?

You brought him up - not me. If you didn't believe him or the logic in it, why bother mentioning him in the first place? Seems rather silly.

He can sit on his massive piles of cash if he wants. He doesn't owe the franchise or the fans anything, does he? That's why him saying he'd see the franchise concluded is pretty neat.

Shenmue 4, like Shenmue 5, isn't his responsibility.

It's okay to sit around spitting feathers about anyone and everyone, I guess.

Wait, you thought they were going to share a bedroom...? 👀
I at least throught they would share a hotel room in Niaowu.

Shenhua didn’t pull her weight in Niaowu at all, poor Ryo had to pay for her private room and she contributed nothing. She was just a liability too getting her gullible ass kidnapped by Niao Sun and Ryo lost the mirror because of her.

She should have stayed home milking goats in Bailu village where she belonged!

Last edited:
You brought him up - not me. If you didn't believe him or the logic in it, why bother mentioning him in the first place? Seems rather silly.

He can sit on his massive piles of cash if he wants. He doesn't owe the franchise or the fans anything, does he? That's why him saying he'd see the franchise concluded is pretty neat.

Shenmue 4, like Shenmue 5, isn't his responsibility.

It's okay to sit around spitting feathers about anyone and everyone, I guess.

I do not understand the point of his gesture. Just don't say anything.

I never said he owes anyone anything. I just questioned the logic and reasoning of publicly stating you would fund a particular project when there is another project required first that is currently up in the air.

Anyways, on an unrelated note,vI pinky swear I will fund Shenmue 17. Aren't I generous?

I at least throught they would share a hotel room in Niaowu.

Shenhua didn’t pull her weight in Niaowu at all, poor Ryo had to pay for her private room and she contributed nothing. She was just a liability too getting her gullible ass kidnapped by Niao Sun and Ryo lost the mirror because of her.

She should have stayed home milking goats in Bailu village where she belonged!
Actually it's 28 yuan per room per night. Which is exactly why Ryo pays.

How did Shenhua pay for her room? She didn’t have any money.
How do you know she didn't have money - thr shops in Bailu charged money for things.

Who is this LRG person who is offering to fund Shenmue 5?

Josh Fairhurst, CEO of LRG. He said he couldn't afford to fund two games, but would be able (and willing) to fund one game. Therefore, if someone would fund Shenmue 4 and didn't wish to also fund Shenmue 5, then he said he would do it.

No. Just a sarcastic loud mouth.

2e06469cc51b060aa3930337b2888896.gif

Back