Shenmue III's Ending was Clutch

And Ryo said that when he ran into Chai the second time in Bailu Village - so "you again" was a reference to the fact he had just seen him.

Yeah you think he would have been a bit more pissed off with him considering Guizhang got hurt because of him and he kidnapped Nozomi aswell. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Again, it loops back to storytelling. As another user (I forget who) posted elsewhere, the whole Niao Sun twist / reveal would've carried more weight if 1) Ryo even knew she existed, say by a character at least mentioning her name once in Niaowu and 2) 'Niao Sun in disguise' did anything to win Ryo's confidence instead of just being there.

There was actually A TON of potential there for a big reveal - either by a confidence trick, like luring Ryo into a trap by preying on his instincts to "act without hesitation, to do what is right" (YI), or alternatively as others have said, by an attempted seduction (which, knowing Ryo, would be unsuccessful but very interesting).

Or anything really. There was massive scope for a payoff to Niao Sun's reveal.

Ehh I'm not too phased by it really.

Ehh I'm not too phased by it really.

It's not that it bothered me personally... I just feel like a lot of content/backstory to certain characters were cut due to financial limitations.

More than once I was just like huh? Has the game skipped a scene accidentally or something? And i reloaded previous saves thinking it had ... One of them being when Bailu muscle guy says chai is going to the old woman.

At one point or another he'd have to finally face Lan Di. I'd rather him do it multiple times instead of the classic video game method of the boss talking shit the entire game and you finally meet him at the very end and defeat him in one fight.
Ryo needs to learn you cant do that. Thats the Bullshido way of thinking. Thats what Xiuying was trying to warn him in the first game.
For some odd reason, Lan Di was showing Ryo mercy (maybe there's more to Lan Di we'll see later), but then at the end he was like 'okay if you want to die so bad ...." then Ren stepped in last minute with that fake mirror which saved his life lol
Yeah i was a bit too harsh with my comment. I mean I really enjoyed the Lan Di fight and I feel like they executed it fairly well.

It's not that it bothered me personally... I just feel like a lot of content/backstory to certain characters were cut due to financial limitations.

More than once I was just like huh? Has the game skipped a scene accidentally or something? And i reloaded previous saves thinking it had ... One of them being when Bailu muscle guy says chai is going to the old woman.

Except Chai didn't actually go to the old woman until after you cleared the Bell Tower...which you could have waited weeks in-game to do.

The lack of urgency and the passage of time in S3 made such little sense. There are thugs that have kidnapped Shenhua's father and literally have taken over part of town, with a hostage apprentice tied up, and weeks could go by in game before advancing the story. You think Sun wouldn't have been such a dick when it comes to training Ryo considering all that was happening within the village.

I would have brushed that bit aside, I am willing to suspend my disbelief to an extent, it is a video game after all - but the ending was so meh. I expected more logic in Shenmue 3's story progression after the first two games.

Yep, the village gathered 11 martial artists including three high-skilled masters and no one gave the slightest fuck to the hostage.

They could have just made a 30 second scene of muscle head beating all the other martial artists and Ryo was there last hope. But no everybody refers it as Ryo's 'Big fight' or his duty?
And its not yours you old martial artist fuck? 🤷🏼‍♂️

The most important part of the ending, I haven't seen anyone mention it: Chai's room. Even though it may have been fan service, I enjoyed that.. and.. and.. the chicken's room? Heh. Ending, story, etc. was fine with me. Not disappointed at all. I guess, I might be - if I had assumed the story was going to be wrapped up. But, since I expected a "to be continued", it was fine.

One of the things I did really like about the ending was how they modeled Lan Di’s body type, height, clothing, face from scratch into the Unreal engine. Although his voice wasn’t on point, that’s more subjective since we grew up with Paul Lucas. When you listen objectively without a bias, his voice is really not that bad. I thought his movements during the fight, his hands behind the back, his spinning kicks, and the ending sequence where he schools Ryo were really nicely captured. I would of enjoyed deeper more meaningful dialogue like everyone else (perhaps he drops a plot bombshell of some kind?) but it is what it is.

I enjoyed my time with Shenmue III, but I do have to admit that the story was a bit underwhelming. Not a lot happens, and the only connection I felt was with Shenhua. I loved the conversations you had with her at her house. I missed those during the Niaowu portion of the game. Ren was ok, but nothing like the the previous game. At the end, it also expects you to care about these other characters that you have met along the way. This is hard to do, because those characters barely have any interaction or any character development at all. I'm sad to say that the that I thought meh after the game was all said and done. I spent most of my time in the game grinding with very little bits of story sprinkled throughout. You don't feel that great sense of adventure that you do in the first two games.

Should've been longer and should've kicked our ass a bit more.

Should of kick our asses more?? Within 2 moves he was gunna straight out kill Ryo.. Lan di dont fuck about. Props off to Ren for literally saving Ryo - My favourite part in the whole game. I do think the fight with Lan Di was executed very well.

I am actually replaying the final 30 minutes of Shenmue 2 to get a feel for the flow into 3:

Ok, so they approach the cave entrance... Shenhua is thrown off by the lack of birds and her “Shenhua senses” are going off indicating something is wrong. This is probably right after the 3 ‘thugs’ (I’m guessing they aren’t even Red Snake members but just local petty criminals who they contracted to do the dirty work in the village?) rampage around the village, ransack the other stone masons in order to get Yuan and Xu on a boat to Niaowu.

The letter I’m guessing, using S3 as pure canon, was written in haste by Yuan. He does indicate he will die by his morbid word selection, but I will give that up to maybe he was expecting the worst and feared for his life. He probably got word from the village that stonemasons were being targeted by ‘thugs’ and couldn’t get away in time?

So far, Shenhua has mentioned the old lady (Elder Yeh) would know of the history of the mirrors and village. She sort of does, but just restates the Empire commissioned the mirrors, which we learned from Shenhua already at the end of S2. So nothing New except confirmation of the 1910 date and not ancient times as we thought.

Something I just realised about the ending:

Niao Sun represents the Vermillion Bird. In turn, the Vermillion Bird represents fire.

It's very appropriate then that she destroys the Castle using fire. That's a nice touch.

Yep, the village gathered 11 martial artists including three high-skilled masters and no one gave the slightest fuck to the hostage.
You can ask Gold Tiger for help and he'll just tell you to fuck off. Like not even with the "A MARTIAL ARTIST DOES NOT TALK ONLY TRAIN" line that they could've stuck with just fine, they literally went out of their way to make new dialogue specifically for this scenario just to make you feel like an idiot for even asking. Well I'm so sorry for wanting to rescue a kidnapping victim that might be dead in a couple days...

Back