[Shenmue III] This save data cannot be used. Please download and install the DLC pack.

Hi everyone. I have a problem with my save file. I first started playing this game released by FitGirl. I stopped playing for a long time. Now that I have the game on Steam, I am trying to transfer my save file to the Steam version of the game to continue playing. I changed the name of the save file and the UserID within the file needed to transfer the save files. The save files do get detected by the Steam Version. However, the game gives me an error message after trying to load the file:
This save data cannot be used. Please download and install the DLC pack. Failed to load save data.

I have been fiddling around with an hex editor program (HxD) to see if I can change the bits to work, to no avail. I have all 5 DLC's on Steam, so I do not know what the problem is.

I started with an older version of the game. Then updated and reloaded the game in v1.06.00 (03111). The Steam version of the game now is in v1.06.01 (01798).

What I did find out, after creating a new game in Steam, saving immediately and loading it with the FitGirl version, the game tells me that I got some extra items. But I am not sure what this means and why this happens.

Is there someone who can help me? shenmue3.png
shenmue1.pngshenmue2.png

I've actually been looking back into trying to get my EGS saves usable on the GOG version. (All the saves are at least backed up with GOG's cloud save feature now, anyway.)

I was basically at the same place as you, though. Those items in the first image are DLC not available on the GOG version at all: Scroll and Bomber jacket bonuses for the Digital Deluxe edition; EGS preorder bonuses (kenpogi and Peking Power Starter Pack).
Is EGS what you mean by "FitGirl"? I'm not familiar with what that is. (Sounds like it's a pirated redistribution, so not something I would say is a great idea to discuss on the Dojo.)

The Steam version does have the digital deluxe bonuses, but not the Peking Power Starter Pack, or kenpogi bonus from preordering on EGS. There is an entry for the starter pack though, it's just not active: https://steamdb.info/app/1166220/subs/

All of the DLC, including kickstarter DLC, appears to be activated in the pakchunk0 pak file (all the extra DLC is in the files with each version, it seems). However, without Prime Matter providing DLC codes for all of them, or some form of crack to activate them on other platforms, there's probably not much that can be done.

I was still going to try comparing save files in a hex editor to see if there might be something simple in there, but it's probably pretty unlikely.

One other thing I saw someone mention, that I thought was kind of interesting anyway, is that taking the pakchunk0 file from a Steam version of the game that (presumably) came from an install of the digital deluxe version with kickstarter DLC codes activated, and replacing the pakchunk0 in the EGS version with it will unlock all of the bonus DLC, backer DLC, and addon DLC on just a standard EGS Shenmue III install. I don't have any way to actually test this, though, so it could be inaccurate.

Putting the pakchunk0 file from the EGS version into the GOG or Steam version just causes it to hang at a blank screen on launch, like when trying to launch the EGS version of S3 from the exe file without EGS running, for me.

Back