Shenmue I VHS tape from Japan

24Nathan

A while ago, I made a purchase of a different looking Shenmue I VHS tape from Japan that was in a What's Shenmue VHS. I figured it might be something worth having as part of the collection, as it looks completely different to the actual VHS inside of What's Shenmue, so I bought it. Fast forward to this past week, when a friend of mine and I finally hung out, and he was gracious enough to convert the tape to a digital file to see what was on it. It seems to be a Japanese version of this trailer from the Shenmue Passport, titled "Preview #1" in NTSC/PAL releases. Maybe the exact version of this trailer is on the Japanese Passport? I don't have a Dreamcast that can read discs to be able to tell...

Anyways, I've uploaded the entirety of what we got off the tape, before we decided to stop it, as it was just the same trailer over and over. I was hoping by keeping it going, I would find a portion of the tape without quality loss, because as with most VHS tapes, there are some parts where the color is gone (aside from the intentional black and white parts from the trailer itself), and the sound is obviously not fantastic. I'd welcome anyone who wants to try and restore it to go ahead, that'd be cool. I uploaded the entire portion of what we extracted, as well as just a video of the individual trailer. Enjoy!

EDIT: It seems after further thought and discussion with @James Brown , that this is in fact meant to be two separate trailers looping over and over again. One is about a minute long, the other is about fifteen seconds. I've uploaded both after clipping them, and taken down the original videos posted here, which were just the same things looping over and over. This VHS was likely meant to attract shoppers to a SEGA Dreamcast/Shenmue display in a store.

Trailer 1:

Trailer 2:

Last edited:
If memory serves, the 15second attract trailer was attached into a trailer on Passport?

If memory serves, the 15second attract trailer was attached into a trailer on Passport?
Yes, as mentioned in the original post, it seems to be a variant of "Preview #1". Not sure if that video was one the Japanese Passport.

Last edited:
Yes, as mentioned in the original post, it seems to be a variant of "Preview #1". Not sure if that video was one the Japanese Passport.

The content looks to match the video in the Japanese Passport except for the last few seconds with the release date & the Dreamcast logo. Japanese Passport video:

The content looks to match the video in the Japanese Passport except for the last few seconds with the release date & the Dreamcast logo. Japanese Passport video:
Thank you! Pretty cool stuff! Wonder where the other trailers available on the Passport were shown.

Okay, here is a cringy clip from another Famitsu GameWave DVD from 2003 of Shenmue I...attempting to get some upskirt shots. :/

Looking at this nowadays... its simply disgusting, how can anyone play it like this. Wasting that time to look at the panties, when one can go through wudecon and any model viewer/editor and get to the point, rotate in 360, zoom in and befriend it.

Thanks lot for sharing the information. Was not aware that such VHS tape existed. I really love watching this early promo videos.

Okay, here is a cringy clip from another Famitsu GameWave DVD from 2003 of Shenmue I...attempting to get some upskirt shots. :/

I was about to say "based," but then I saw the girl they picked, and... well...

1c0ff0.jpg

Back