Shenmue I & II - which voice language will you all choose?

english. that being said, i've never played Shenmue II in english. both playthroughs have been in japanese, once with the original release, once with PAL.

I love Corey Marshall as Ryo, so I'll be playing in the English voiceover. :)

I always go for the closest to the original concept, whenever possible. Be it videogames, movies, books...
Looking forward to finally play it with Japanese voices. :)

Japanese for me. Some of the dialogue lines are better than the English version for me

I never played the first game in Japanese so I want to play it first in that language.

I still wonder if the subtitles will somehow be changed to reflect that the script in the Japanese dub is slightly to very noticeably different here and there. It's not so bad for the cutscenes but I remember some NPCs causing quite some problems in the Undub.

Also I'm anxious to see how good of a translator they got for the German and French subtitles. Seen some unfortunately hillarious stuff in games before, so I know how lazy these can be. I messed with the subtitles for a German version myself and I know how tough it can be to get it over to sound nicely and sometimes to even get the context right and also just what an endless amount of work it is for a game with sooooo much text as Shenmue. Hope it got the effort it deserves but I'd be happy as long as it's solid and not some machine that did it.

Japanese voices, Japanese subtitles ?

then maybe English voices with Japanese subtitles to simulate that US Shenmue vibe.

I enjoyed playing Shenmue 1 in Japanese as it made sense and I prefer the monotone serious tone. Some of the NPCs in English are brutal. The exceptions of course were Corey Mashall which I believe did an excellent job as Ryo, I enjoyed Lan Dis voice actor, Nozomi. In Shenmue 2, hearing Japanese spoke in Hong Kong, Kowloon and Guilin felt odd. English wasn't much better but it made sense to some degree since Hong Kong was a British colony at the time.

I'll play with English audio my first play through and Japanese the second. I want to see whats changed in both but English first for nostalgia.

I've never played with the Japanese voices, so I reckon I'll give that a try. It would be cool if you could change it on the fly while you're playing.

Corey Marshall, Paul Lucas, Eric Kelso, and Lisle Wilkerson all did wonderful jobs with their roles, in my opinion.

I will play through both ways. Yakuza 0 was really the first game I ever played with a Japanese only dub and English subtitles, and i enjoyed it. I'm sure I will enjoy Shenmue that way as well.

I have never understood the drastic bandwagon - like attitudes on the dubs. There are either people who have never spoken a word of Japanese judging the acting in a language they don't understand, or there are Shakespearean elites saying that the English dub is "S000 BAD LOL". I totally get that both Shenmue I and II have some bad voice acting in them. But I think you would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater if you say the entire dub is oh so terrible.

For the first time officially we will have Japanese VO with Eng subs. So I will play that way first.

Especially with Shenmue I which I bought as Dreamcast PAL-version in 2000 I grew up with the English dub. I will use the Japanese dub this time, and as far as I know it will have German subtitles for the first time. This will be my choice. Shenmue II, which I also played first as PAL-Dreamcast-release I am already familar with the Japanese dub and didn't enjoy the English voice acting on Xbox much. So I think I will stay with the Japanese dub as well :)

English with the new control scheme on my first playthrough, then Japanese with the old control scheme for the next one (y)

Back