Shenmue HD reviews and discussion

"Shenmue is not a game for anyone who doesn’t have time to play it at the game’s pace."

WTF?!! Is that a reason? I mean don't blame the game for people's schedule! " LOL Stupidest thing I've read today.
It's just trying to convey the slow pace, which turns a lot of gamers off. 2 fixed this issue with the wait function but the first game still doesn't have it. It's not really a normal thing for games to make you wait half an hour before you can do anything to progress like Shenmue does...

It's great reviews mention the slow pace. People shouldn't think these are action packed comedy adventures like Yakuza. They are what they are, and they appeal to a very specific type of person (like all of us--people with great taste).

With the quality of this Remaster and the gaming press' history with Shenmue I think 77 on metacritic is about as good as we could've hoped for. It's a high enough score for a game with a low enough price that many who were on the fence should be willing to give it a shot. Having a Shenmue 3 trailer tomorrow could also help for sure.

I see a lot of people remarking that a 7 is an Average score. Even a 6...

Typically speaking, a 7 usually ranks as Very Good on a 1-10 Scale; Good for a score of 6.

Nothing to scoff at, really. If there had been a bit more effort, say going for the full remaster I'd say you would see more 8s, maybe 9s out there.

I'm talking Remaster ala Dark Souls or FFX HD, not Remakemasters like SoTC.

he talks about product licenses and how some stuff got remove but i was wondering, did they do away with the timex watch?
Almost all the ingame brands were replaced with a Sega logo

In the Metro review I noticed they did a sneaky photoshop:

shenmue_ii_meeting_shenhua_first_time_35_1523616633-dfa2.jpg

It's just trying to convey the slow pace, which turns a lot of gamers off. 2 fixed this issue with the wait function but the first game still doesn't have it. It's not really a normal thing for games to make you wait half an hour before you can do anything to progress like Shenmue does...
It's great reviews mention the slow pace. People shouldn't think these are action packed comedy adventures like Yakuza. They are what they are, and they appeal to a very specific type of person (like all of us--people with great taste).
I agree it's for the best that where possible reviewers mention this. I always caveat my recommendation of the game by warning people that the first few hours are extremely slow burning.

Back