Shenmue HD reviews and discussion

I don’t blame dt3: I blame Sega. It seems judging by that tweet they were completely out of their depth trying to port it. I respect their efforts but they did not overcome the challenges they faced.

Shenmue 1 is riddled with bugs that ruin the experience while Shenmue 2 is unplayable due to most of the music being awful. If they fix this with patches I will take back any criticism but I’m not sure they will since it seemed such a struggle for them to even get the game out in any playable form.

Sega really screwed us over big time by giving the job to a developer that were not experienced enough to deal with such a mammoth project. I appreciate their efforts but for now my Dreamcast is back in my games room for the foreseeable future.
And I repeat what I wrote before; it isn't Sega's job to port it, its D3T's, correct?

Isn't the publisher only supposed to do localization testing, not bugfixes?

Nah, integrated graphics can do much more than that. I researched what these things are capable of and while they cant run games on max they can still run some of the higher end stuff on low with acceptable enough frame rate to actually play the game. Check out these benches of what Intel 4000 can run on low settings.

If coded with competence Shenmue I and II HD should have no problem running with these graphics setups, I dont know what games you saw that didnt run on integrated graphics but it really doesnt take much on just about any current hardware to run 20 year old games like Shenmue I and II. Do some research on what integrated graphics are capable of, no its not much but this release is so bare bones its not even any real graphical improvements one of the reasons they did it this way was likely so it COULD run on most hardware, granted its optimized which is the issue here. Have a look at the system requirements for Shenmue I and II HD straight from the steam page. If you have just about any kind of HD graphics set up from the past 6-8 years it should not be a problem.

With all due respect, your “research” is clearly lacking, and your comment on “competence” is not warranted.
It’s not a matter of raw performance, or how the game looks, it’s the operations that the chipset supports. If they’re doing things that are not supported by those chipsets, then they won’t run/look right - regardless of how old the game is or how it looks. I’m not saying they’re using directX (although this wouldn’t surprise me for the PC/Xbox versions), but if, for example, the game was targeting a newer version of directX than supported by those chips, it’s not a wonder that they don’t run.

Some of the best studios in the business still release buggy games. The fact this release is buggy doesn't mean d3t are incompetent or lack the skills to do it properly. It's more than likely that they just needed some extra time that SEGA couldn't give them.

Some of the best studios in the business still release buggy games. The fact this release is buggy doesn't mean d3t are incompetent or lack the skills to do it properly. It's more than likely that they just needed some extra time that SEGA couldn't give them.
Yes. I wish people would really cool it on the d3t hate, calling them incompetent or inexperienced etc. We all want a patch, and we all wish the game had been released in a perfect state, but a small number on here seem to delight in giving d3t a hard time, over and above what is justified imo. If you’re that pissed off, just ask the retailer for your money back and go and play your Dreamcast versions.

And I repeat what I wrote before; it isn't Sega's job to port it, its D3T's, correct?

Isn't the publisher only supposed to do localization testing, not bugfixes?
Sega should evaluate whether or not the game is in a state that's fit to be released. They're to blame IMO. Does Sega typically Tweet about bugs & patches the day a game comes out?

Yes. I wish people would really cool it on the d3t hate, calling them incompetent or inexperienced etc. We all want a patch, and we all wish the game had been released in a perfect state, but a small number on here seem to delight in giving d3t a hard time, over and above what is justified imo. If you’re that pissed off, just ask the retailer for your money back and go and play your Dreamcast versions.
Nobody is happy to be bashing D3T, I'm sure they'd rather be praising them... Dismissing them by telling them to just not play the game does nobody any favors...

People are probably being hard on D3T because the other release they recently did for Sega is also fairly buggy, isn't it? Two releases in a row in this state isn't that reassuring. I look at their list of other works and it's made up mostly of little interactive things for museums, Flash-tier games, and credits on a few insubstantial ports?

Dismissing them by telling them to just not play the game does nobody any favors...
Yet coming up with misguided conspiracy theories about it being emulation for the sole purpose of artificially manufacturing more outrage does?

Yet coming up with misguided conspiracy theories about it being emulation for the sole purpose of artificially manufacturing more outrage does?
I sincerely hoping you aren't accusing me of doing something like that. I wouldn't do something like that, I'm a fan who wants nothing but the best for this game. That would be just as bad as lambasting fans who were worried the game would not be fixed in time for launch... remember that?

I sincerely hoping you aren't accusing me of doing something like that. I wouldn't do something like that

TBH I'm starting to wonder how valid the claims are that this isn't emulation... I don't know much about this stuff but a lot of the glitches we're seeing are the very same glitches I see when using emulation... not only the sounds issues but the clipping like when ryo is holding the sword and when the jacket hits the floor before sparring...
:unsure::unsure::unsure:

That would be just as bad as lambasting fans who were worried the game would not be fixed in time for launch... remember that?
It really is funny that you're still hung up on that. You act as if I were lambasting and attacking you when you took the exact same tone with me and continue to take the same aggressive tone with anyone who dares to show even a hint of tolerance towards SEGA or d3t. Get a grip.

Okay... now please tell me how any of that post equates to "conspiracy theories about it being emulation for the sole purpose of artificially manufacturing more outrage". Don't worry, I'll wait...

You act as if I were lambasting and attacking you
Not just me, but anyone who dared question whether the issues would be fixed at launch...

when you took the exact same tone with me
Only in response of course, which is quite appropriate. If I made a post that was out of line and uncalled for please quote it...

and continue to take the same aggressive tone with anyone who dares to show even a hint of tolerance towards SEGA or d3t.
Please quote a single post I've made where I did something like that. Again don't worry, I'll wait...

Get a grip.
Recent history has shown I have a fairly firm grasp on things regarding this game and it's development. I never made any claims that turned out to be completely untrue. I never belittled someone for thinking differently that me. My theory was stated as such, not stated as a fact, and it allowed RiGoRmOrTiS to educate myself and others on the matter. I value such discourse as I don't have a set narrative to stick to. Please stop attacking people who have valid criticisms, I've already asked you several times. You're the only one being aggressive here and it's completely transparent that you're trying to deflect that aggression onto me as if I've ever attacked another user here...

I'm not going to get into another quote war back and forth with you. They clutter up the boards and ultimately go nowhere. If you really want to continue the discussion then you're more than welcome to send me a PM.

I'm as blue collar as they come and nowhere near well-off, but if you're a gamer, why are you so worried about a budget price and if you don't have a proper GPU, then surely you've got a PS4 or X1 to play...?

Not at all attempting to be presumptuous, whatsoever. If either of you with these arguments really are so budget constrained, then my sincere apologies in advance; I sure as hell can't afford full priced PC or consoles gaming for about a decade now.

Last edited:
I'm sorry you don't care about companies releasing broken products. Some of us do. I don't care if it cost $1. It's dishonest. I'm not budget constrained. I just wanted to buy a game that works.

HOW DARE SEGA TAKE MY $15/game RELEASING WITH SO MANY BUGS

HOW DARE D3T NOT OPTIMIZE FOR INTEL INTEGRATED GFX

hahaha fucking classic. I'm as blue collar as they come and nowhere near well-off, but if you're a gamer, why are you so cheap about a budget price and if you don't a proper GPU, then surely you've got a PS4 or X1 to play...?

Not at all attempting to be presumptuous, whatsoever. If either of you with these arguments really are so budget constrained, then my sincere apologies in advance; I sure as hell can't afford full priced PC or consoles gaming for about a decade now.
How does this have anything to do with people's personal finances? No amount of money I spend will fix the game. I bought 3 copies already, that doesn't make any of those versions 3 times more functional...

Calling other users cheap and laughing at them isn't insulting? Delete it yourself.

cheap was poor word choice, for sure. Amended. My bad, no malice intended. End of post was moreso my focus than the sarcasm prior.

Back