Shenmue Anime will be at New York Comic Con

I’m pretty psyched. The anime is the future of the series, IMO.you bet you’re getting another game if this thing takes off.
It’s either that, or it ends up being the medium for how the rest of the story will be told… (obviously hoping for the former!)

Absolutely no issue with anime being the medium that finishes Shenmue''s story. If anime is the way to get this thing finished, then so be it.

If S4 is to be made in game-form , I'd prefer a game of course, as long as it's better than S3. But all in all I'm pretty indifferent about the Medium as long as the story is well-told. I'd definitely prefer a good anime over a bad game.

Imagine finding out they'd announced a fully-budgeted anime series for Shenmue, after Shenmue 2 flopped in 2001. We would've all been freaking out. I'm honestly surprised people haven't been more optimistic about the anime, though I think that's because there's still so little to look at.

This is a miracle, imo, after Shenmue 3 did ok, but didn't exceed expectations. I am very happy. Let's hope the anime looks awesome. This is much better news to me than Shenmue Online and I'm not even that excited about anime in general. It shows the IP is viable and they're going through the trouble of picking up new fans by re-telling the story right from the beginning. That's the best way to guarantee this series can continue. The prospect of giving Shenmue IV the green light will be much more tempting if the series picks up fans.

I'm just excited about the fact that it offers a much more accessible and mainstream entry-point into the fanbase. I really can't wait to welcome people who discovered Shenmue via the anime to the community.

The more Shenmue fans the better!

Really nice to see that we will get more news, i think we will see a trailer for the anime. I'm really excited for the anime.

I agree with Jibby, the anime will probably bring more fans to the Shenmue community and this is beautiful, if people see the anime and enjoy they will probably search for more information about Shenmue, some people will probably play the games after watching the anime.

It’s either that, or it ends up being the medium for how the rest of the story will be told… (obviously hoping for the former!)

I prefer the rest of the story to be told in game format but if Yu Suzuki say that he had to do this i will completely understand, it is really hard for him to have more opportunities to make more Shenmue games, anime is a good medium to tell the Shenmue story.

But yeah i really hope that Shenmue IV the game will happen, and i hope one day we can see the complete story in anime as well, i think we will get both, the anime and the game.

Being honest, don't you guys think there's a fairly large chance it will be a flop? I hope it isn't, but I don't see it being the Shenmue saviour some of you do.

I can totally see it "meeting expectations".

Of course it could flop, but the alternative is Shenmue 3 flopping and years of silence while we occasionally get excited over a Shenmue stamp popping up in a Sonic remaster. I think a fully-budgeted anime supported by Crunchyroll is a fair bit better than that. There's still life in the IP while new titles are released. If it flops, then yeah, we might have some issues, but I think we're in better shape than if there were NO anime being produced. We're looking at nearly 2 years w/ no other Shenmue-related news.

I hope it does well, but I'm just getting more panicky as time goes on. If it doesn't do well, it could be considered the final nail, so to speak.

I hope critics like it, as it might then become a bit of a slow burner and cult hit if it's not a big success straightaway.

I hear ya, but I just don't see how Shenmue 3's "success/failure" on its own merits the release of another game*, which wouldn't even be the last game in the series. I hope it's great, yeah, because this is a big chance to get the name and storyline in front of way more eyeballs than even E3.

*to be fair, I have no access to sales data, etc. Just relying on what I've seen around here and elsewhere.

I think because we're in the thick of it, sometimes we can't see the wood for the trees. Regardless of sales, Shenmue is a realtively known brand. Certainly not in the mainstream like your COD's etc, but the history and pioneering nature of Shenmue means that it's not forgotten about. And that's the important thing. Lots of IP's are more popular, but don't really have such a dedicated fanbase. I realise i'm generalising here, but I think we're in a fairly good position.

The money folk surely see that Shenmue is a guaranteed money spinner to a core degree of folk; the key here is one of not overreaching. And the anime is a good way of getting new fans in the door.

The important thing here is that if and when these new fans do come, that we treat them with respect and make them feel welcome (although I do propose a 3 strike limit for Sailor memes!) Nothing worse than a holier than thou fanbase just because they were fans earlier in life.

Being honest, don't you guys think there's a fairly large chance it will be a flop? I hope it isn't, but I don't see it being the Shenmue saviour some of you do.

Define flop, I guess. Margins of success can be quite tight for television, but this is a major production that turns Shenmue fully into a cross-media franchise - which is a huge boon considering the relatively niche space it occupies in gaming.

Watch it, promote it, and buy the physical release when it comes. That's all we can really do on our end to try making it a success.

People know it could be a flop, they're being positive because it's a Shenmue forum and it's been a underdog, cult classic series.

People know it could be a flop, they're being positive because it's a Shenmue forum and it's been a underdog, cult classic series.
Exactly. Yeah, could flop, but we’re in way better shape than we were before the anime was announced!

Hey guys,

As you're probably aware we aren't able to stream the event live due to a paywall.

What James and I are planning on doing is streaming a play-by-play of the event as it happens. So if you can't watch the main presentation you can at get a live account of what's going down.

Will be on our Twitch and YT channels on 7th October, probably from 9.45pm UK time.

More details to follow.

Hey guys,

As you're probably aware we aren't able to stream the event live due to a paywall.

What James and I are planning on doing is streaming a play-by-play of the event as it happens. So if you can't watch the main presentation you can get a live account of what's going down.

Will be on our Twitch and YT channels on 7th October, probably from 9.45 pm UK time.

More details to follow.
Great that means I will have to stay up late on Wednesday night to watch the stream. The things I do for Shenmue. LOL.

Back