Sega CD/Mega CD

~ ひかり ~

このまま・・・時間が止まるといい
Site Staff
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (PS4)
Sega CD or Mega CD is a video game attached to the Mega Drive and works with CD media.

The accessory could even be used in conjunction with the 32x, having power equivalent to a PlayStation or Sega Saturn.

You have SEGA CD/Mega CD? how was this improvement at that time? you have favorite games and dearest memories because of Sega CD/Mega CD?

A thread to talk about everything about the Sega CD/Mega CD, thank you.

1632229804831.png

1632230572341.png

I am super late to the party did not get my mega cd together with the mega drive in 2017 or 18 but I really like this add one.

Had many great hours already with playing Snatcher, Batman Returns, Final Fight CD, Terminator and Eternal Champions.

I am also thinking of getting some more games in future like Mortal Kombat and few others.

It is a pity that it was not more successful back then but that was Sega's fault with focusing too much on these stupid FMV games instead of making more Mega Drive enhanced games.

I wanted a Sega CD as a kid but couldn't convince my parents to buy me one, haha. It seems a lot of people have been warming up to the history of the Sega CD and the narrative is changing from saying it was a failure that only had "crappy FMV games" to being an underrated console with a bunch of great games.

However, I imagine it's different playing Sega CD today after all the hidden gems were unearthed and all games vetted vs buying it at $300 at launch with only the FMV games being advertised. It would have been easy to miss games like Snatcher, Lunar, and Popful Mail if those games weren't being advertised, so I could see how "for the time" it was considered a failure.

I've been playing on the Mega SD and have been loving the Sega CD games I've played. I unironically enjoyed Night Trap, too. IDGAF, haha.

My top 5:
  • Snatcher (best game on the system IMO)
  • Final Fight CD
  • Popful Mail
  • Shining Force CD (I feel I like this game much more than the consensus, it's neck and neck with SF1 for me)
  • Rise of the Dragon
There's also a few cool games that are essentially Genesis/MD ports with CD sound, like NHL '94 and Road Rash.

I definitely need to play the Lunar games at some point and have a few more that I kind of played that need another go, like Road Avenger, Batman Returns, Silpheed. I think Soul Star is the best technical showcase for the system but I didn't get too far in that, either.

Yes the Lunar Games are also on my to buy list. I also need to get into the shining force series one day. Never heard of Road Avenger but it looks interesting. Not much gameplay but the presentation really looks neat.

ps: Although I am not the biggest fan of these FMV games I want to ad one to my collection just for reference. Repros of them did not cost the world so buying one won't be that big loss finacially.

I anware of the fact neither of these games are masterpieces but is there a FMV game that is better than the others?

if so which game would you recommend? The infamous Night Trap or another one?

I remember when Sega CD launched, I was able to rent the system in 1993 with Sonic CD and the opener made my jaw drop. Then the level started up and it looked like the first game as it was on Genesis. I wasn't excited about the graphics but then I started playing and the additions of time travel and the standing dash were great. I ended up beating the game over a weekend and returned the system.

Fast forward to about 2000 when I was an adult and I ended up buying a model 2 Sega CD and started building a collection. I enjoyed the hell out of it for a while but after that while... it was just sitting around and it took a lot of space. Due to that, I ended up selling just the Sega CD portion off and kind of regret it. Now the system is so expensive to buy and rare to find that it's just not worth the expense to me.

Favorite games on the system include:
- Sonic CD
- Jurassic Park
- Sewer Shark
- Corpse Killer

I enjoyed the FMV games occasionally.

Yes the Lunar Games are also on my to buy list. I also need to get into the shining force series one day. Never heard of Road Avenger but it looks interesting. Not much gameplay but the presentation really looks neat.

ps: Although I am not the biggest fan of these FMV games I want to ad one to my collection just for reference. Repros of them did not cost the world so buying one won't be that big loss finacially.

I anware of the fact neither of these games are masterpieces but is there a FMV game that is better than the others?

if so which game would you recommend? The infamous Night Trap or another one?
The only one I've played is Night Trap, and you'd have to really embrace the cheesiness to enjoy it (though that probably applies to all FMV games, haha). After going through a bunch of sega-cd youtube videos the past year the FMV game that I hear is most often considered the "best" is Road Avenger. I've also heard that Wirehead's up there, too, but I haven't played it.

Here's a pretty good episode from Gamesack going through a handful of these:

Thanks for the video. I will check it out tonight when I am home. And of course you cannot take this games serous to enjoy them. i am fully aware of that. I am just curious to try out some of these games for myself for a good laugh and add them to my collection as a reference point of that genre.

I am not the biggest fan of that genre but I do not hate it either. There are even 2 games of that genre I rather liked and would rate 7/10. No Mega CD games but 2 pc games. The X Files Game and Tender Love Care. Both very quite good.

Everyone knows how I feel about SLX (wow, he didn't shit on something for once! It's gonna snow today), so I won't disparage him, but I can't help but think that since I got into it with him 2 years ago about Alex Kidd, he has found my defunct website or read my Gamefaqs reviews or something to see my background or whatever (and I have the same username/handle throughout, so it's not hard to find my content. This isn't just for what I'm about to write, but I see a lot of overlap, A LOT), because AFAIK, I'm literally the ONLY person on the entire internet, that deems Beyond the Limit as one of the console's best games and he even calls it, "Beyond the Limit," when the actual game name is, "Formula World Championship:" Beyond the Limit is just a side name (like Test Drive II, which has a side name of, "The Duel)," and outside of myself, I haven't seen anyone name it as such either. He also mentions the, "fans of the sport," line, which I have hammered away at all my reviews and videos of the game, given that I am an F1 historian/lifer. I absolutely do NOT think the world revolves around me and it is most-likely a coincidence 100%, but things like this make me think a bit...

I'm not a huge fan of how short that SNESdrunk video is, but I like how well they cover things and the variety.

And seeing this thread right now, I'm kicking myself lol; The Sega CD has long been (on a per-game basis, not overall) my second favourite console (3rd outright, with the Genesis being my 2nd favourite outright), as 3 of my 10 favourite games ever are on the console and that includes my favourite console game ever/2nd outright (Final Fight CD), 5th favourite ever (and favourite RPG ever), Lunar: Eternal Blue and 6th favourite ever, Snatcher. Beyond the Limit also is just outside my 10, at 13. It was a brilliant console with a lot of shovelware, but just as many (if not more) absolute masterclass games. As the videos state, Popful Mail is a phenomenal title, Lunar: The Silver Star is superb and Vay is also a great RPG. Rise of the Dragon is incredible (albeit super-short) and being, "Snatcher-Lite," makes it big for fans of that type of experience.

Having not played all of the console's titles (like Shining Force and Dark Wizard; have 0 interest in SRPGs unless I explicitly wish to try certain ones out), I haven't seen everything the console has to offer, but I'd still rank my 10 favourites on the Sega CD, as:

10. Sonic CD
9. Vay
8. Lunar: The Silver Star
7. Tomcat Alley (love it. Tons of fun)
6. Rise of the Dragon
5. Popful Mail
4. Formula One World Championship (Beyond the Limit)
3. Snatcher
2. Lunar: Eternal Blue
1. Final Fight CD

Will also mention that I have forever deemed Sonic CD to be the best game in the series, AFTER 3&K, as it is an incredible platformer.

My backlog for the console is 100% complete (save for Ecco) as well, thus it might be prudent of me to finish Ecco and wrap up the console.

I do want to get the Can games, as they have the Phantasy Star text games (or side games or whatever they are), but those are hard to come by at a decent price... (Game no Kanzuke they're called, or something).

Still, an incredible console.

I am interested in adding some vechicle combat games into my collection and I am about to buy some repros.

Which of these 2 games that are on my Radar would you recommend?

After Burner 3 or AH3-Thunderstrike? Or maybe even both?

At the moment I lean more towards After Burner 3. After Burner is a classic Sega Franchise I wanted to get into.

The Thunderstrike series is more a less unkown to me. I can remember that I planend one game with that title on the ps1 in the late 90s and it was okisch. Not a game that burned into my memory forever but I would not say that I hated it back then.

2 things:

1. Yes, I'd go Afterburner as it is the better game.
2. These aren't vehicular combat games; they are shooters. A vehicular combat game would be Carmageddon or Twisted Metal ;)

Thunderstrike isn't a bad game, but the Strike series on the Genesis is just better from top to bottom, so Thunderstrike is not worth your time as much as the Strike series is.

Back