Season 2 officially cancelled (for now)

Omg I just saw the YouTube video and I simply didn't want to believe what I was hearing. This is most definitely a gut punch for the franchise though we've been there before. I know what I'll be falling asleep to for the foreseeable future and that's the anime on a loop!!! Dam I'm just stunned. I would love a second season but idk if anyone would take a flyer on it considering it won't come out for quite some time and all the goodwill plus momentum will have been evaporated by that point. Just sucks all around right now.

Still let's keep banging the drum for IV and the second season regardless. It'll really be interesting what Suzuki's end of the year remarks will be. I believe that's all we have currently to keep a eye on at the moment.

I know it seems like the franchise is forever cursed and the light is slowly fading away from it's existence but "Keep your mind as clear as a polished mirror" as Xiuying says and let's keep fighting for this beloved series.

Omg I just saw the YouTube video and I simply didn't want to believe what I was hearing. This is most definitely a gut punch for the franchise though we've been there before. I know what I'll be falling asleep to for the foreseeable future and that's the anime on a loop!!! Dam I'm just stunned. I would love a second season but idk if anyone would take a flyer on it considering it won't come out for quite some time and all the goodwill plus momentum will have been evaporated by that point. Just sucks all around right now.

Still let's keep banging the drum for IV and the second season regardless. It'll really be interesting what Suzuki's end of the year remarks will be. I believe that's all we have currently to keep a eye on at the moment.

I know it seems like the franchise is forever cursed and the light is slowly fading away from it's existence but "Keep your mind as clear as a polished mirror" as Xiuying says and let's keep fighting for this beloved series.
On that note (apologies for hijacking the thread) I need names of Youtubers with a decent following who are sympathetic/like Shenmue or are proper fans. I am working on something and I need a list of people to harass to get my own way!

Anyone mentions SEPW or RGT85 you're banned on the spot :p

These are the one's I have down to contact:
Michael Huber
Happy Console Gamer
My Retro Life
Adam Koralik
Mega 64
Scottish Duck17
Sega Bits
BrutalMoose

Last edited:
Such a ridiculous and sad situation, given that the anime did well as far as we are lead to believe, and this is an anime which has hardly any merch to back up its success. It does beg the question, where is the merch?? As far as I know a lot of anime lives and dies by its merch sales and DVD/blu-ray sales, and we don't have any physical release in Japan or overseas, and basically no merch to speak of except the OST (Japan only) and the Japan Post sets (which were awesome, but also limited runs and Japan only). Would merch sales (the lack of) have been factored into this decision?

I was looking forward to what a second season of Shenmue could do, and whilst it's been mentioned that Shenmue III may be a bit of a stretch to fill one season, seeing as I & II were both in one season, there was so much potential for missing/cut content to have been included like getting to know the Bailu Village residents better, deeper story with the Red Snakes, how Ren came to travel to Niaowu, deeper involvement of Li Feng/Niao Sun before the reveal. There's plenty that could have been done.

It's all just very disappointing, especially after the Shenmue anime seemed to do so well.

On that note (apologies for hijacking the thread) I need names of Youtubers with a decent following who are sympathetic/like Shenmue or are proper fans. I am working on something and I need a list of people to harass to get my own way!

Michael Huber
Happy Console Gamer
My Retro Life
Adam Koralik
Mega 64
Scottish Duck17
Sega Bits
BrutalMoose
Might be worth talking to John Linneman of Digital Foundry. I think you got most of the other big ones though.

Michael Huber
Happy Console Gamer
My Retro Life
Adam Koralik
Mega 64
Scottish Duck17
Sega Bits
BrutalMoose
You should add AustinMcConnell to your list!
Also if I recall correctly, whilst he's not necessarily an active/vocal fan, Scott The Woz has made a few positive comments about Shenmue too.

Michael Huber
Happy Console Gamer
My Retro Life
Adam Koralik
Mega 64
Scottish Duck17
Sega Bits
BrutalMoose
I believe Maximilian Dood is a fan of the series. I'm not sure he has watched the anime though.

This might be an unpopular opninion, because this is definitely a gut punch for sure. But I don't think this is the end of the world for the Shenmue anime, I'm somewhat indifferent about this. Considering where it left off and it's pacing, I don't think there would have been enough material or feasible to base Season 2 off of just Shenmue 3 alone. I believe for Season 2 to be as content rich as it needs to be, we will need Shenmue 4 to be released in game format. While we definitely need to make a push for a season 2 of the anime, I think we should be doubling down on getting Shenmue 4 made ASAP because it will ultimately give the anime the source material it needs to complete season 2.

Now if they were planning on continuing the story past Shenmue 3 regardless if a sequel was released or not, then this makes this news sting a bit more and makes my opinion moot.

But still my point remains, we need Shenmue 4 NOW

Such a ridiculous and sad situation, given that the anime did well as far as we are lead to believe, and this is an anime which has hardly any merch to back up its success. It does beg the question, where is the merch?? As far as I know a lot of anime lives and dies by its merch sales and DVD/blu-ray sales, and we don't have any physical release in Japan or overseas, and basically no merch to speak of except the OST (Japan only) and the Japan Post sets (which were awesome, but also limited runs and Japan only). Would merch sales (the lack of) have been factored into this decision?

I was looking forward to what a second season of Shenmue could do, and whilst it's been mentioned that Shenmue III may be a bit of a stretch to fill one season, seeing as I & II were both in one season, there was so much potential for missing/cut content to have been included like getting to know the Bailu Village residents better, deeper story with the Red Snakes, how Ren came to travel to Niaowu, deeper involvement of Li Feng/Niao Sun before the reveal. There's plenty that could have been done.

It's all just very disappointing, especially after the Shenmue anime seemed to do so well.
Thing is we had it confirmed Shenmue 3 would be half of a season 2 and they could have filled it out.

However we dust down and go again.

A shame, but we Shenmue fans have grown accustomed to heart break. The anime trounched the events a bit, but was good overall, and did a nice job fleshing out a few of the supporting characters like Joy and Nozomi.

ah crap.

i never saw the show but i felt the same way as other fans.. as in, the success of the shenmue anime could of help us get S4. now we're ****** again.

Absolutely heartbreaking news. Almost didn't want to post here today. I'd rather be celebrating good news then a cancellation but here we are.

Now I can only hope that the anime does get a phyical release. As much I appreciate the convenience of streaming services they've proven to be a real nightmare for the preservation of new media. At least between Sega and Crunchyroll the rights aren't completely stuck with Warner Brothers so there's still a chance.

The news really sucks donkey balls, but whose to say things won't change in the future.

We've seen the impossible happen before with the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter, and just because we're not getting Shenmue Anime 2 (for now) with Warner Bros involved doesn't mean the Shenmue IP is now finished.

We have lots of people on our side within the industry (Jason, Cedric), and we know YS Net were pitching an early build of Shenmue 4 to publishers two years ago, so we know its been worked on in some capacity. The franchise will continue.

Also, as others have said, by releasing Shenmue 4 first, the creators of a potential future Anime 2 will now have more material to work with to adapt the games.

You should add AustinMcConnell to your list!
Also if I recall correctly, whilst he's not necessarily an active/vocal fan, Scott The Woz has made a few positive comments about Shenmue too.
@spud1897 Oh, also Vinesauce Joel/Vargskelethor. Technically a Twitch streamer, but archives and posts highlights on Youtube. He's streamed all three games and really enjoyed them.

Any other company would surely kill to own the IP of a succesful Anime and get it moving forward. Sega has always been impossible to understand but this latest venture really takes the piss.

Michael Huber
Happy Console Gamer
My Retro Life
Adam Koralik
Mega 64
Scottish Duck17
Sega Bits
BrutalMoose

Scott the Woz has Shenmue 1&2 on his PS4 recents dashboard in a few videos.

Back