Screaming sounds in Shenmue

Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Shenmue 2
In the game, evening scenes, there are some weird screams. I think they sound human. My brother thinks it's a crow or something :)
You can hear them 46:20 min in

Last edited:
I find it kinda amusing how often people struggle to make out what that sound is. And the theories what it could be are brilliant!

To me it was immediately apparent that it is a crow, even though it definately sounds quite outlandish compared to your typical western world craw sound.

Haha, I knew exactly which sound you were referring to before I even opened the thread.

Yeah, it's just a bird. And welcome to the Dojo!

Yeah, it's a small detail, but it stands out, in a game that is already unique. I was always fascinated by that sound, it's eerie, and it adds something to the atmosphere. That's my favorite part of this game. Walking around in the evening, looking at the houses, enjoying the ambient sounds and music.
Sakuragaoka and Yamanose are some of the coolest locations I've seen in a game. Silent Hill and the small country towns in GTA San Andreas are other favorites.
I want to live in the house on the left, top floor :sneaky:

Attachments

• artworks-000464454561-y3vcat-t500x500.jpg
    artworks-000464454561-y3vcat-t500x500.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
The origin of the sound you are referring to, as far as I am aware, has never actually been confirmed, but it is generally accepted to be a crow cawing. It's a common thing for crows to do in the evening, apparently. Never heard them doing it myself.

I'm not sure I want to see that crow :oops:

Attachments

• ODmecdx6Pg-6.png
    ODmecdx6Pg-6.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
The origin of the sound you are referring to, as far as I am aware, has never actually been confirmed, but it is generally accepted to be a crow cawing. It's a common thing for crows to do in the evening, apparently. Never heard them doing it myself.
You should visit Japan. Crows are very common in Tokyo and can be heard cawing quite often, not just in the evening. You tend to see and hear them most on burnable trash pickup days as they love eating garbage (so much so that there are nets everywhere to stop the crows being able to tear open the bags).

I recognized that sound right away when I heard it, probably because I used to play SimTower so much as a kid.

Oh wow, I never connected the two, but you're right! I loved SimTower, it was one of the few Mac games our old computer could play. Who knew I was hearing Shenmue years before I would even know what it is?

Back