Ryo doesn't have any chance in hell of beating Lan Di, right?

Hey guys,

per the trailer, we know there will be an actual face-off between Ryo and Lan Di already in S3. Ryo came really far since the time Lan Di was holding him by the neck at the beginning of S1, but realistically, there should be no chance he can even scratch Lan Di - do you agree? I say this based on Ryo's fights in S2, where he can barely hit a senile old man (Jianmin) and Xiuying toys with him like with a little kid (and per the Project Berkeley video Lan Di beats her). Hell, we can't be sure Ryo is stronger than Guixiang at this point :D

Jokes aside, since this isn't Dragon Ball where after every fight the fighters get drastically stronger, I was wondering how the Lan Di fight would play out. Will it be like the first Xiyuing spar where she just dodges, and then maybe a cutscene interrumps where Lan Di finishes the "fight"? Thoughts?

I can see Ryo get owned at least once by Lan Di with someone interrupting before he gets killed, for sure.

I'd love if there was an early FREE battle with Lan Di where you could 'win' (fight gets interrupted if you get the upper hand) but the difficulty level should be about 8x the difficulty of the Chai at the arcade fight in Shenmue 1.

I've a feeling they will fight but it won't finish. Something or someone will interupt it. Lan Di might toy with Ryo somewhat but also be surprised at his skill. All I want is to land one shot on that smug face of his!

Well the Right answer should be it depends. It depends what Ryo we are talking about. The old Ryo from 2 would have a Chance I guess. But had to tell how much Ryo will progress in his Martial arts in 3. Maybe he will be able to match Lan Di but not beating him yet.

I suppose it's possible that Lan Di kills Ryo early in the game... then Lan Di dresses like Ryo and becomes the main character of the story, as he tries to blend in inconspicuously into Ryo's life. :p

But I think training and improving Ryo's skills as a fighter will be a major focus of this game, so I see Shenmue III as kind of similar to Luke Skywalker being trained by Yoda... he's going to become a much more skilled fighter as he works his way through all the fights in 3, so eventually it will seem more plausible that he could challenge Lan Di.

S- Lan Di
A- Xiuying, Iwao
B- Guixiang, Ryo, Izumi, Guizhang, Jianmin
C- Rod Stunt, Chai, Chunyan, Ren, Dou Niu, Eileen, Pedro, Baihu
D- Greg More, Yuan, All Street Fighters
E- Larry, Sam, Charlie
F- Fuku-San, Cool J

Think that's a bit more accurate, at this point; we've never even seen Chen fight!

Don't you dare drag Guixiang, she taught Jianmin! Anywho, prediction Ryo will get a lot better through training in SIII, not enough to beat Lan Di but enough to make him worry in their fight which will end with Ryo escaping/getting rescued/deux ex machina.

Also I get everyone hates Fuku but be fair he trains daily and may not be as good as Ryo however he is certainly not F tier. He's probably D tier, I understand stand the memes that he was so easily dispatched at the dojo but those were elite chi you men agents they could even pose a challenge to Ryo at this point

Ryo has already grown a lot but there is still no way he is up to Lan Di's level.

I also get the feeling that we will see him grow a lot more in III than he ever has before. First thing would be for someone in the story to truly reflect just how much it is. I expect or at least want the old man in Bailu that knows Iwao tell Ryo at some point that he has surpassed his father. That's the important milestone that Ryo will have to reach next.

I too want a proper epic confrontation with Lan Di that just has a narrow escape or something. Even if it's mostly talking, because just some lengthy canonical dialogue would get me hyped up. But maybe we won't even see a whole lot of him, just as we did in Shenmue II. They teased him right but it might've been just for the initial wow. Shenmue II trailers did it too, remember?

What tidbits are in the games to suggest that Lan Di is the greatest fighter on the planet? Forgot if this is something that was mentioned in the game or just inferred.

It isn't mentioned but to at least to Ryo's world he certainly is. Everyone tells him how he has this deadly style and is absolutely dangerous. And of course that he defeats Iwao without any effort whatsoever. Ryo must've thought that his father is the absolute top dog and then that happens.

Back