Return of the Classics...

高野和泉

"SAKURA FESTIVAL!"
Think they'll be Sega's promoted killer apps again?

So far we know Panzer dragoon and streets of rage are resurfacing. Those were killer apps in their time as well. We have Yakuza/Shining/& Valkyrie Chronicle taking the helm atm. Will Nagoshi take kindly to Yu sidelining the Yakuza IP spotlight as Sega's best?

Shenmue/PD/SOR(Classics) vs Yakuza/Shining/VK(Current-Mainstream)

I'm just abit deep in thought since I've got some time to kill atm. Not trying to start any drama.:coffee::oops: Ur thoughts?:unsure:

Moved to general gaming as the topic expands well beyond Shenmue.

It is certainly looking more positive thaty SEGA are moving towards reviving their older but strong IP's. Let them do Jet Set Radio and I'll be convinced they are fully going forward with this new vide they are giving off.

Moved to general gaming as the topic expands well beyond Shenmue.

It is certainly looking more positive thaty SEGA are moving towards reviving their older but strong IP's. Let them do Jet Set Radio and I'll be convinced they are fully going forward with this new vide they are giving off.

Ah, no prob.

But yea, If JSR and a new virtua comes out that'll def get me pumping again as well. Sega can be a modern software powerhouse like EA but have the catalog of a established platform owner. A creative Sega is best sega afterall. haha.

Now if a new Racing game is developed in-house using a classic IP...that'll make thing very interesting. :giggle:

I'd love to see a modern day Altered Beast. If only because I've always liked the idea of being able to turn into monsters.

It would also be nice to see them give Headhunter another go. I remember getting frustrated a lot with the dreamcast game, but I feel like there was enough cool ideas in there to create something potentially interesting.

Also give me another Virtua Striker. I miss the electric guitar and aggressively excited man shouting "GOAL."

After Wonder Boy and SOR I'm expecting Alex Kidd to be the next to make his revival. Shinobi and Golden Axe are pretty likely contenders too.

It'd be nice to see new games of Skies of Arcadia, Space Channel 5, NiGHTS, and Jet Set Radio, but I think they're much less likely.

Also it's about time they made OutRun 3.

My Sega revival wishlist for the longest time was 1) Shenmue 2) Panzer Dragoon, so I'm pretty chuffed right now.

I just hope we'll also be getting a PD: Saga HD after the PD: 1 & 2 remakes.

@DigitalDuck agreed, Golden Axe probably due. Wouldn't mind it one bit! Though less excited about another Alex Kidd if you're right, just never got into it.

Skies of Arcadia would be amazeballs, but that'd be a huge project.

Don't think it needs Yu's magic. They did 2 and 2006 (and one more...?) without him. Outrun 3 won't happen, I believe, because of the late 6th gen and 7th gen revivals. Other titles simply deserve it better for waiting longer.

Sega really needs to regain my trust when it comes to how they treat old IPs. Besideds the remade Yakuza games and Sonic Mania, they've been doing a terrible job IMO of handling their old content. Shenmue is a small example, but the one closest to my heart. But then there's all their garbage AtGames emulators and genesis collections that are poorly emulated. They need to regain my faith, because I really, really want to support ALL of their efforts...

Sega really needs to regain my trust when it comes to how they treat old IPs. Besideds the remade Yakuza games and Sonic Mania, they've been doing a terrible job IMO of handling their old content. Shenmue is a small example, but the one closest to my heart. But then there's all their garbage AtGames emulators and genesis collections that are poorly emulated. They need to regain my faith, because I really, really want to support ALL of their efforts...

My feelings are similar. I remind myself that the Sega that exists today is not the Sega of the past, and in many instances, they're either a) unfamiliar with these series we love and/or b) see these games merely as a chance to cash in on the past.
I don't expect them to create, say, a darling Skies of Arcadia 2 (who could, even back then?), but I hope they have enough dignity not to pander to us by offering cheap efforts that tire more than impress (that 3D Golden Axe game comes to mind).

It's frustrating that Sega has some untapped IPs that are completely suitable for the genre plurality of modern times-- something like Crazy Taxi or Burning Rangers could charm in that silly Splatoon way-- but the way to use them seems foreign to them. Sega often did arcade kitsch best and I wish they'd reattempt that, rather than trying to "become serious" like many contemporary developers.

I think the future looks bright and the whole reason these more promising revivals are discussed or planned--rather than the quick cash grab failures of the past. Nagoshi is CCO and been liking Kenji Matsubara and Karuki Satomi. I'm optimistic, at least.

Last edited:
My fingers are still crossed for a Shenmue Kiwami sort of thing, the re-releases did well so it may be a consideration. I really want a return of Phantasy Star and VF but, I would hope Naka and Suzuki return respectively.

For what it's worth, they've dropped AtGames from working on the Mega Drive Mini after fan outcry.

For what it's worth, they've dropped AtGames from working on the Mega Drive Mini after fan outcry.
Yeah I'm hoping their new console delivers, but I'm not holding my breath. TecToy does all their stuff in South America and they seem very happy with it, so there's hope...

With the massive success of Wonder Boy and Sonic Mania, Sega have taken the same route of licensing the IP out to a third party developer with Streets of Rage 4. After the success of S1&2 they announced Panzer Dragoon 1&2 ports. I'm so ecstatic about it.

So here is my top 10 list of Sega classics I want revived.

1) Panzer Dragoon Saga Port
With S1&2 out of the way, this has become my most desired classic Sega game port. Sega having lost the source code to this game, this won't be easy to port. I don't know much about programming but reverse-engineering a game without a souce code will probably be a nightmare, so they might as well go straight for the remake.

2) Virtua Fighter 6
Another one of Yu's many master pieces. If Sega can only remotely achieve the level of quality VF3, 4 and 5 had back in their day, I think they will easily deliver the best 3-D fighting game on the market once again.

3) Phantasy Star (Offline) 5
Phantasy Star 1 is my favorite 8 bit RPG and number 4 is my favorite 16 bit RPG. I'd love to see what Sega could do with a single player installment in the series. If Sega could implement a great combat system and a great story, this game would be incredible. I just love the "space fantasy" setting and its lovely character design which Phantasy Star has done better than any other game series so far.

4) Skies of Arcadia - Port or part 2
Come on Sega. Bring that game to modern systems. Just a no-frills port like you did for S1&2 would do. A second installment would be absolutely off the chain.

5) Outrun 3
This has been long due. Outrun 2 is probably one of the best racing games ever made and after the tremendous success of Outrun 2, I can't possibly think of a reason why Sega haven't released part 3 yet. Also, Outrun holds a special place in my heart because it's one of Yu's greatest IPs. Also Outrun 2 was one of the last big projects Yu actually finished at Sega in the 2000s (Yu was the producer for Outrun 2).

6) Golden Axe
Sega did try to revive the franchise with that horrible PS2 (or was it PS3?) game but that didn't work. If SoR4 prooves successful enough, I hope Sega will give the IP to the same developer to make a great 2-D Golden Axe.

7) Shinobi
With the massive success of games like Dark Souls, Nioh and Bloodborne, I can't possibly fathom why the two big Ninja game series of the 80s and 90s, Shinobi and Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden, are not really relevant anymore. Both franchises were still pretty much alive during the PS2 and OG Xbox days but nowadays both Sega and Tecmo have fallen behind. I would love to play a Shinobi as good as Nioh or Dark Souls games.

8) Crazy Taxi 4
There's just nothing like the great Arcade-ey gameplay of a Crazy Taxi game, while blasting awkward bands like Bad Religion at full volume. Or Offspring. "Yah! Yah! Yah! Yah! Yaaaah!"

9) Virtua Tennis
How many hours have I spent playing as Tommy Haas in the Sega Stadium? Come on, Sega! We need this Arcade Tennis feel again!

10) Shining Foce 3 - Port and full English Version of all games
Yeah, probably just as likely as PD Saga. But after what happened to Shenmue, anything is possible. I'll never give up about this. Some day. Some day!

10) Shining Foce 3 - Port and full English Version of all games
Yeah, probably just as likely as PD Saga. But after what happened to Shenmue, anything is possible. I'll never give up about this. Some day. Some day!
You probably already know this, but the fan translation of part 2 and 3 (and re-translation of part 1) is excellent. Emulates fine too.

Back