Ren should of died - S3 needed a dramatic plot twist

We need a very dramatic plot twist to grip the emotions of the player and hook them to ensure the survival of the rest of the saga.

Niao Sun was a great character that unfortunately was never fleshed out in the least. I had a thought that if her alter ego befriended Ryo’s gang and pretended to be an aide in order to rescue Yuan, the confrontation with Lan Di would of been ten times more effective if Niao Sun (in order to secure the Phoenix mirror from Ryo) out of nowhere stabs and kills Ren in a MAJOR plot twist in order to get the mirror, send a message to Ryo and LanDi, and further tug on the Emotions of Ryo. It would make his journey mean more at this point

I like Ren too much for him to die in Shenmue and he always makes me laugh. My nephew was watching me play Shenmue 3 and he said Ren has good sense of humor.

OR they could have incorporated him in a logical and cohesive manner where he's not just thrust into the game because "reasons".

See now that to me makes more sense. I don't disagree that more could've been done with him to make his appearance feel more organic than how perfunctory it felt, particularly when he arrived, but I felt he was still the strongest part of the Niaowu plotline. Arguing that he should've been excluded may have made the Niaowu arc worse and on top of that it would've added yet another criticism at S3 for not including him which you know folks would've harped on.

I do think you're minimalizing a bit by saying he's just there for "reasons" and to me that term doesn't really fit. Its pretty clear he was going to Guilin at the end of Shenmue II. But why Niaowu instead of Bailu? Beats me. But its not just for "reasons". Ryo not really remembering Chai? Now that is more apt to use "reasons".

Last edited:
Ryo still doesn't care much for Ren, speaks ill of him while talking to Shenhua. I doubt he'd be too worked up if he died.
I think it's Ren that likes Ryo, not the other way around
To be fair... Ren doesn't show Ryo much love (even though he TOTALLY admires and likes Ryo, he's too stubborn to really show it though), and he DOES kinda literally get him nearly beaten to death in their first meeting. Ryo's always kinda held him as a reluctant ally he needed who then showed at least some decency after working together in Kowloon, buuuuut I don't think Ryo's moved past seeing as more of a nuisance because Ryo himself is too stubborn to admit that he needs friends to count on, sometimes.

Given his capacity in this game he shouldn't have even of been in it. He didn't make any sense in this game at all and the way they incorporated him was just beyond lazy.
Just a point. This comment comes across as looking for an arguement. However your follow-up explanation isn't.

In future if you're making a point like the above provide some explanation to it. That way it doesn't come across as argumentative, even though I'm sure it wasn't intended to be.

How is Ren’s incorporation into the game lazy btw? I just put two and two together. He’s a thug. He thinks there is money involved in all of this. He has his street smarts and no doubt has ears all over the place. The chi you men just so happens to be in Guilin. You don’t think he wouldn’t just show up where all the action is?

actually, it made less sense to me that he didn’t just tag along with Ryo to Bailu at the end of II. To be honest.

Before Shenmue 3 I would have called you crazy
After Shenmue 3 I completely understand

His character hasn't really grown at all (unless you count the sudden personality shift) and he no longer adds anything to the story
Killing him off would be the greater service to the series

Not every single character gets development at the same time, nor the same amount of development as others. I'm just curious what some of you were expecting, every single plot point crammed into the game, completely ending the series with the full story as Yu Suzuki intended, with every character reaching the end of their arcs? This game would be like 900 hours long with multiple Blu Ray discs! So impatient. It's not all going to happen at once, and definitely not on some of your expected time frames.

I'd say Ren to some extent carried the story in Shenmue 3. He's the perfect foil to our stern, dour protagonist. I suspect as the story progresses (hopefully!) they'll form a mutual respect for each other and both will experience character development as a result.

Re Niao Sun, I don't doubt we'd have seen a proper story of her disguise building trust with Ryo only to betray him, but it was most likely cut due to budget/timing pressure. Big shame.

Back