Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Resident Evil 4 Remake
PSN
wesker85
Steam
Puma085
I missed the 16 bit gaming machines back then. Was just a Gameboy only user. But I know I want to get into 16 bit gaming. I like the art style of this time and the common genres in that area seems to be great fun as well.

I want to get a Mega Drive and the SNES soon. I am not sure though if i should get the original consoles or the Mini consoles. Normaly I prefer original Hardware but I do not have a CRT TV anymore, just a modern 4k Panasonic LCD. I wonder how well these games will look on the TV. Using a Framemeister though but not sure how well the FM works with 16 bits Machine.

So far I have used the FM only for 32 and 128 bit 3d consoles. So I have no clue how well it will work with early 16 bits consoles.

Does anybody of you have experience with the original consoles and the mini consoles?

If so which way would you recommend to play these old games?

Definitely skip the Mega Drive thing altogether and just buy the individual games on whatever console you like. Honestly, they get re-released every year, and it'll probably work out cheaper for you. Personally I only really play the four main Sonic games from that console, so I can't say how good other ports are, but I don't think buying an additional device is worth the hassle (and if you're thinking of the original system, forget it, even the PS2 can be a pain in the arse with modern TVs)

When it comes to the SNES though, that's different simply because the mini has Star Fox 2. There's also the feeling that SNES games were made with the controller in mind, and I couldn't imagine playing Super Mario Kart with anything else. Additionally, Nintendo consoles are a bit of a niche thing nowadays, so I'm gonna take a wild guess and assume you don't have a Switch or Wii-U. If I'm wrong, you might wanna wait for the titles to be released on the virtual console, if not, then I'd get the SNES Mini.

Either way, unless you wanna buy another tele and go through the pain in the arse that is getting replacement cables (this will eventually drive you insane with the older consoles), stick as close to modern releases as possible. Don't worry about how they look, it'll be fine, just don't buy the originals, no matter how tempting it may seem.

Thanks for your advice. And your guess was right. Do not have a Switch or a Wii U. The last Nintendo Home console I got was the Gamecube. I didn't like the way Nintendo went after the Cube and I still do not like it. Have Nintendo Ds and the 3ds though. Nintendo Handhelds are still fine.

Thanks for your advice with the Mega Drive though. I will check out more modern Releases for the Sega Titles for the PS4 and the Xbox one S.

concerning the old TV. would be tempting, to get a old CRT to get into Light gun games for the Saturn and the Dreamcast again, but at my current Place I have really no space for it.

The SNES Mini has a bunch of great games to start with, I would start by getting that it's an easy hook up plug it in to the wall slap the HDMI cable in and your set. Just remember the cords are short for the controllers and it may be worth it to get some cable extenders, I have not tried them out so I can't say if they are great or not but I have heard good about them.

and if you really like it then maybe look into getting some actual hardware. However beware once you get bit by the retro collecting bug it can get expensive fast. A good example is one of the games on the SNES mini classic is Earthbound a game with a track record of being really pricey at times, like easily more expensive then the entire SNES mini, Earthbound tends to go up and down all the time in price but last I checked it was up there for an original non remake Cartridge, and complete in box its stupidly high priced.

As far as the MegaDrive and Sega Classic consoles are concerned they tend to be made by a company called AtGames, so avoid them like the Plague for now they have a track record of having buggy frame rates, poor sound, and other emulation issues, some of there stuff is okay, but most of it is far from perfect emulation.

If you want original software, I recommend you get the retro freak. It can play domestic and import games of the NES/Famicom, Super Famicom/Super NES, Turbo Grafx16, PC Engine, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, Genesis/Mega Drive

If you want original software, I recommend you get the retro freak. It can play domestic and import games of the NES/Famicom, Super Famicom/Super NES, Turbo Grafx16, PC Engine, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, Genesis/Mega Drive

Now I'm looking into the Retro Freak, sounds really cool from what I have already looked into. Never played the Turbo Grafx16 before but in college one of my best friends said he had one when he was a kid in the Ukraine or Canada, he moved around a lot before coming state side, and that may be the best way for me to play me some Turbo Grafx16 XD

Thanks for the further replies. Yes the Retro Freak looks really nice as you can Play many games from many different Retro gaming machines. The TurboGrafx16/PC Engine is especially a machine I am interested in.

The bad news about retrofreak is that it doesn’t play Master System or Game Gear games

Thats a pity indeed. Not much into Game gear games (do not even know if there are any good games on it) but testing out Master Systems games would be intersting.

@Vivi-gamer Thanks for the recommendation. The classic Collection really Looks intersting. I will check it out for sure.

Yeah, everyone is talking about making a better mini for Genesis/Mega Drive, but what about Master System? Brazilians will go nuts for it

Back