Random Shenmue Thoughts

Was the Shenmue re-release released in China? If so, how well did it do? I haven’t read anything about the re-release being released in China. If not, then I don’t understand why they wouldn’t seeing as Shenmue III will be released in China; surely it makes good business sense to make gamers in China familiar with the first two games so they become emotionally involved in the story.

This would surely boost Shenmue III sales in China.

I can't find any information a Chinese release, but the PC version of the games have both Traditional and Simplified Chinese translations, suggesting that it's available in China and/or other East Asian territories, at least on PC.

Was playing some Sonic and Sega All Star Racing Transformed. Ryo plays really well! Was it ever confirmed that Cory recorded new lines for this game? They sound different.

might be a crap idea but...

a point and click, shenmue youtube adventure. - each video would have in game footage from shenmue (1 or 2) but sliced up, so ryo would walk to a location then you get 2 (or more) on screen links, depending on your decision the story would continue to the next youtube clip and so on.

not a 100% original idea but seems to work as a quick search pulls up "choose your own adventure" videos

Would you trade in Shenmue 1 and 2?

EbRqsfH.jpg

might be a crap idea but...

a point and click, shenmue youtube adventure. - each video would have in game footage from shenmue (1 or 2) but sliced up, so ryo would walk to a location then you get 2 (or more) on screen links, depending on your decision the story would continue to the next youtube clip and so on
This used to be a thing a while back, but it's no longer possible since YouTube discontinued annotations and will soon be removing them completely.

Reactions: red
Was the Shenmue re-release released in China? If so, how well did it do? I haven’t read anything about the re-release being released in China. If not, then I don’t understand why they wouldn’t seeing as Shenmue III will be released in China; surely it makes good business sense to make gamers in China familiar with the first two games so they become emotionally involved in the story.

This would surely boost Shenmue III sales in China.
It was released in both Korea and China. I have both copies. No idea how well they sold.

Been replaying the 2 games in the HD rerelease.

Shen 1 started real slow, felt stretched too, but I still love the atmosphere of the game, especially Dobuita.

Shen 2 gets down to business quickly, but felt off in the first few hours in, but you get used to it and gameplay is mostly refined over the first game. I've been concentrating on the part 2 to get most items but it is not easy and requires a lot money/luck. Still trying to figure out where all the lighters/jewels are and some toys too.

I do miss there are not a lot of places to practice martial arts compared to the first game. Jianming sucks and along with any of the masters that evade every single move. I miss the empty parking lots and warehouses.

Is it just me or are darts a bit harder in Shenmue II than Shenmue I?

The black guy at the Liverpool bar is a trickster. He starts out clumsy and easy to beat at darts, but once your bets get in the 100 dollar range, he magically can hit the center of the board constantly. He might very well be the hardest guy to beat in the game.

I don't like fighting Izumi. The QTEs ruin it. I'd rather the AI be better at fighting rather than resorting to cheap super moves.

I understand why it happens story-wise, but I find it clumsy when an impossible fight ends with a screen blackout.

Darts were pretty much broken in the on-disc version of Shenmue II from launch. If you're on 1.02 or newer (1.0 for Japanese release) then they work correctly.

They seem the same to me when running the fixed version.

Darts were pretty much broken in the on-disc version of Shenmue II from launch. If you're on 1.02 or newer (1.0 for Japanese release) then they work correctly.

They seem the same to me when running the fixed version.

Does the update affect previous saved see games?

Darts behaves differently between Shenmue I and Shenmue II. This has been the case since the Dreamcast, and isn't anything new to the re-releases.

Happy new year Shenmue fans! This is the year Shenmue III will finally be released! I can’t wait.?. I think someone ought to post a countdown clock.

Anyone else irritated by the complete lack of safety awareness in the Harbor? I worked in a warehouse for about a decade, and all I can think is WOW, it's amazing they don't have 20 forklifts tipped daily.

I know it's just a game and it's likely the result of a limitation of the game engine, but it's one of those things that offends my professional sense. Just please tell me I'm not the only one.

So i just got a new 4K tv recently (Sony x900f) and of course, after calibrating it i tried the shenmue rerelease on pc and wow, i was blown away. I didn't expect much considering the age of the games but the image is so sharp, colors are so nice and with the big highlights and brightness of the tv, the bloom that d3t added shines and makes the game pop a ton. I appreciate much more now the work d3t put on the re releases and it seems like the bloom effect was designed with modern tv that have good bright highlights. Shenmue III is gonna be a beauty here.

Holy shit... wow good catch dude. That'd be one hell of a coincidence... which I don't really believe in...

Wow, those 10-12 years between this and Shenmue (II) really show how much graphics have improved, when a video game has WAY better real time scenery than this CG stuff.

Anyone else irritated by the complete lack of safety awareness in the Harbor? I worked in a warehouse for about a decade, and all I can think is WOW, it's amazing they don't have 20 forklifts tipped daily.

I know it's just a game and it's likely the result of a limitation of the game engine, but it's one of those things that offends my professional sense. Just please tell me I'm not the only one.

Maybe that's what happened to Mark's little brother. Just an accident in a badly run harbour. Mad Angels had nothing to do with it.

Maybe that's what happened to Mark's little brother. Just an accident in a badly run harbour. Mad Angels had nothing to do with it.
With that segway, does anyone know when Mark's brother actually eats it? I always wonder when I see him around the harbor at the very beginning of disk 2 if his brother is being murdered right now or something lol...

Back