Random Shenmue Thoughts

The SEGA Saturn in Ryo's house was just a homage to the SEGA Saturn because SEGA dropped that system abruptly after what happened at E3 1997

SEGA Saturn was their best selling console in Japan, on its early years it was tie-to-tie with the PS1 in sales sometimes taking the lead

It would have made more sense a Master System in his house with its own versions of these games in the Tomato Market

Incorrect! 👨‍⚖️
SG-1000 Mark III, as Master System was the overseas console and wasn't just a rebranding & redesign of the former but had some slight technical differences. Iirc at sound chip and RAM.
👩‍🏫
It has been discussed before, Iwao managed to time travel with the mirrors and brought with him through the vortex that Saturn, he installed the gachapons over China and Japan but future evil Ryo/Lan Di was sent to punish him for messing with time fabric.

Incorrect! 👨‍⚖️
SG-1000 Mark III, as Master System was the overseas console and wasn't just a rebranding & redesign of the former but had some slight technical differences. Iirc at sound chip and RAM.
👩‍🏫
It has been discussed before, Iwao managed to time travel with the mirrors and brought with him through the vortex that Saturn, he installed the gachapons over China and Japan but future evil Ryo/Lan Di was sent to punish him for messing with time fabric.

I know about SG-1000 Mark III but Id like to hear more about this story of Iwao because I just cant believe it you must be trolling me, as theres Virtua Fighters posters in Fuku-San room and all over the place

Beat Shenmue I again today, I did much better against Chai this time and I could also beat the 70 man battle in a little bit over 10 minutes,

I will keep my training in Shenmue II and Chunyan will see what will happen to her this time

I know about SG-1000 Mark III but Id like to hear more about this story of Iwao because I just cant believe it you must be trolling me, as theres Virtua Fighters posters in Fuku-San room and all over the place
Fuku-san only got the posters as gift from the future because he wasn't the heir of the Hazuki Dojo. You must noted through your S1 playthrough how Ryo shovels that to him everytime he gets the chance.

Fuku-san only got the posters as gift from the future because he wasn't the heir of the Hazuki Dojo. You must noted through your S1 playthrough how Ryo shovels that to him everytime he gets the chance.

What I noted was Fukuhara and Ine arent part of the family, they were just working there in the house/dojo but were almost part of the family,

Ine-San states she knows Ryo since he was 3 years old, plus Ryo says at a certain point he doesnt have family anymore (I dont remember exactly where but must be at the cat scene or during a conversation with Mark or Tom)

About Fuku I didnt had much interaction with him during this playthrough so it must be detail I've missed

As I said above I finished the game this time in 20th December so I missed a lot, and that happened because I forgot to not talk with Tom after the "check with everyone" note, I was going to live Ryo's life in Dobuita at least until the new years eve

but I checked the farewell conversations and its almost about Tom

maybe I will play it again, but before Christimas 2023, now I will check Shenmue Passport and Whats Shenmue and move to my 2nd playthrough of Shenmue II

What I noted was Fukuhara and Ine arent part of the family, they were just working there in the house/dojo but were almost part of the family,
You can quickly check that Fuku has a sign with his name outside his room, being the only one to have it, similar to a kennel and this makes him closer to a guardian dog.
About Fuku I didnt had much interaction with him during this playthrough so it must be detail I've missed.
Nobody can't blame you for not interacting with him. He first tries to uncover Ryo's plans to Ine-san but later when he realizes that with Ryo outside the picture he will own the Saturn and maybe Ryo's room he doesnt hesitate to give him a considerable sum of money (in small coins).
Note how he enjoys hitting Ryo at sparring. I believe he is in cahoots with the CYM to kill Ryo. Fuku-san can't be trusted.

Of course all of this is me fooling around, I prefer that term than trolling which imo imply that I do It with ill intention. Its not the case! But if you're confortable using it I won't be upset with you either.
♥️💙💚
If you accept a tip for a 2nd Shenmue II playthrough: try walking most of the time and running at minimum while also making good use of the first person view to look around. Since you Will arrive to Hong Kong around 8-10 January there will be plenty of time to get all missable scenes and appreciate small details.

Ryo says at a certain point he doesnt have family anymore (I dont remember exactly where but must be at the cat scene or during a conversation with Mark or Tom)
Ryo says this during lunch time to Mark on his 2nd day of working. (His first full day of working)

I am far from being a stranger to these incredible games. I played back in the day on the DC both 1 and two. Never understood why the US never got Shenmue 2. I had the LEGITIMATE PAL version. This is my first time playing the games on PS4 except 3 I have played and beat it once I didn't much care for it. (I was alright. left more questions than it answered.) Is shenmue 2 the DC or the xbox version? I did glance at it for a brief second and saw that you can view snap shots at the main menu. I was hoping it was the DC version?

I am far from being a stranger to these incredible games. I played back in the day on the DC both 1 and two. Never understood why the US never got Shenmue 2. I had the LEGITIMATE PAL version. This is my first time playing the games on PS4 except 3 I have played and beat it once I didn't much care for it. (I was alright. left more questions than it answered.) Is shenmue 2 the DC or the xbox version? I did glance at it for a brief second and saw that you can view snap shots at the main menu. I was hoping it was the DC version?

I think the US release not happening hurt the game so much
they had to wait for the XBOX version 1 year later

DC was pretty dead by the second half of 2001 with two new consoles in the horizon and the PS2 with so many great games

I remember previews of Shenmue 2 in my gaming magazines, but no reviews for the DC version, it remained unknown until E3 2002 when it was announced for the XBOX but then...reviewers unfairly gave it a mixed to positive reaction

A big mistake and injustice happened to Shenmue 2, far worse games like Star Fox Adventures had a much more warm reception

Microsoft should have promoted the game as much as they did with Halo

The version in the HD collection is the XBOX version, you can see by the camera icon and Ryo shoes have more polygons than DC, along with other changes

Damn. I am regretting wasting my money for the remastered games.
The modern version of Shenmue 2 is a port of the Xbox version. That being said it has quite a bit of changes from the Xbox version like getting rid of the bloom and motion blur that version added
As soon as you said this. I cringed because I am hoping against all hope that they didn't fix this on the (SPOILER ALERT AHEAD) motorcycle ride home from the harbor with Nozomi. I loved the motion blur effect of seeing the red light of the motorcycle blur as Ryo turns the motorcycle. Also I don't remember how I did this or when I did this but I found a hidden dialogue not in the actual sense of the word hidden but encounter with Joy at the arcade in Shenmue 2. I remember playing the game so many times that I never came across this un recently like 15 years ago I stumbled upon her at the arcade and remember she having dialogue that brought more to the story then I have ever remembered. This was on the dreamcast.
They kept the Fengumi Birthday encounter in it correct.

Its all part of the training! 😅🤣
Omg I swear didn't remember that part. When coincidences like this occurs I buy a lottery ticket. You should too!

Damn. I am regretting wasting my money for the remastered games.
There's day1, 2, and so on patches avaliable but certainly a better effort at porting could had been made.

I found a hidden dialogue not in the actual sense of the word hidden but encounter with Joy at the arcade in Shenmue 2. I remember playing the game so many times that I never came across this un recently like 15 years ago I stumbled upon her at the arcade and remember she having dialogue that brought more to the story then I have ever remembered. This was on the dreamcast.
I bet there's a scene for everyone which despite being known by many others, just pops out after the +5 playthrough. And that's talking about events, with dialogue lines its even more magical (if the player has sensibilty enough though).

They kept the Fengumi Birthday encounter in it correct.
Also Megmei with the kitten 😃😀👹

Sorry sdojo but my alignment is: good, chaotic, obnoxious.

Not sure why, but the HD remasters of Shenmue 1 and 2 are no longer available on Steam for Japanese users. The original store page for the game now leads to a message explaining that it is no longer available in this region, while the Shenmue multipack bundle (which used to include all three games) now only includes Shenmue 3 and the DLC.

Not really too sure what to make of it.

AAF8F382-30F2-4A93-B05F-BFB18737B534.jpeg

Not sure why, but the HD remasters of Shenmue 1 and 2 are no longer available on Steam for Japanese users. The original store page for the game now leads to a message explaining that it is no longer available in this region, while the Shenmue multipack bundle (which used to include all three games) now only includes Shenmue 3 and the DLC.

Not really too sure what to make of it.

View attachment 18642
That's very odd. Surely they'd just keep it on Steam indefinitely?

That's very odd. Surely they'd just keep it on Steam indefinitely?
Strange indeed. My initial thought was that maybe they were planning a rerelease, but the fact that it’s still available in other regions would suggest otherwise.

Best I can guess, it’s either a Japan-specific licensing issue or YS has had some kind of falling out with somebody at Sega. The former seems a lot more likely.

Back