Random Shenmue Thoughts

Ren's necklace, the last long white piece. Has any time discussed what it is? I always thought it was a mineral like selenite (probably a cheap fake one) but lately, given the fishing activity in Aberdeen and very loosely tying to VF Jeffrey it could be a shark teeth.
Also, selenite is known as Moon stone so it would make sense too.

playing again and I missed Nozomi event in the park, perhaps I was moving too fast? I missed the fight with the two thugs in leather jackets

for the first time Im spending time with the capsule toy machines

some Nozomi friend screamed at Ryo to not break her heart

game is very immersive , this is like my 4th playthrough of Shenmue 1

playing again and I missed Nozomi event in the park, perhaps I was moving too fast? I missed the fight with the two thugs in leather jackets
Iirc it occurs at sunny mornings before mid-day. What I can't remember its if the scene has something to do with the kitten happyness inner system.

I never, no matter what, triggered the bancho girls at the harbor in any of the game versions.

for the first time Im spending time with the capsule toy machines

some Nozomi friend screamed at Ryo to not break her heart

game is very immersive , this is like my 4th playthrough of Shenmue 1

If you haven’t, I highly encourage you regularly call Nozomi through events of the game. While most of the dialogue is pretty short and redundant there’s some nice little character moments sprinkled throughout.

Also praying at the home altar, after each new story beat Ryo has unique dialogue.

Last edited:
If you haven’t, I highly encourage you regularly call Nozomi through events of the game. While most of the dialogue is pretty short and redundant there’s some nice little character moments sprinkled throughout.

Also praying at home at altar, after each new story beat Ryo has unique dialogue.
I love the phonecalls, a very underlooked feature that adds lot of warm feeling to cold and rainy Yokosuka.
Oh, calling the police perfectly sums why using a gun against Lan Di is totally out of place in Shenmue universe. Besides Lan Di opening line "I'll let you die like a warrior" I mean.

Ren's necklace, the last long white piece. Has any time discussed what it is? I always thought it was a mineral like selenite (probably a cheap fake one) but lately, given the fishing activity in Aberdeen and very loosely tying to VF Jeffrey it could be a shark teeth.
Also, selenite is known as Moon stone so it would make sense too.

I always took it to be a shark tooth, but it would be interesting if it were something else too. The shape of the necklace and his earring are a similar shape too, so I just concluded they were both shark teeth since I haven’t really seen stone or mineral jewelry shaped like that before.

I always took it to be a shark tooth, but it would be interesting if it were something else too. The shape of the necklace and his earring are a similar shape too, so I just concluded they were both shark teeth since I haven’t really seen stone or mineral jewelry shaped like that before.
Me neither, and with that shape it would be too heavy for keeping attached. I've seen the inverted shape tho, like a tear. Itoh, being a shark teeth would be a light piece.
I can see Ren teaching Wong to fish, and getting those from a shark. Or buying it without paying it at some shop.

It's hard for me to believe that Ryo wouldn't face some reprisals from the Mad Angels for humiliating them and stopping the Long Zha. I'm sure a few of us can remember the 'Ryo has to return to Japan because the dojo was burned down by the Mad Angels!' rumours on the old forum :LOL:.

In my head, I have created two realistic theories that explain why this didn't happen. The first theory is that the CYM punished the Mad Angels for their failures and were disposed of. I only played Shenmue 3 once but I'm pretty sure that Gui Zhang said they vanished from the harbour (paraphrasing). Moreover, Charlie was pretty certain he would be killed for blabbing about Lan Di, along with the fact that Yanglang from Shenmue 3 said the mysterious group that ordered them to capture the stonemasons (implied to be CYM) 'would have killed them on the spot' if they refused the orders given to the Blue Spiders. If the CYM don't take refusal well, I doubt they will take kindly to snitching and failure.

The other theory is a little more straightforward. Master Chen's 'antique company' kept an eye on the dojo and offered some form of protection to Ine and Fuku San.

Master Chen in Shenmue I refers to the man who send the letter as Zhu Yuanda

But hes actually named Yuan Dazhu in Shenmue II

forklifting crates is actually fun if you can do it very fast and take them all from a place to another

Last edited:
Nozomi seems a little obsessed with Ryo, if you catch her grandmother sweeping the sidewalk at night in the front of their store, she will tell Nozomi talks about Ryo night and day, and she even got her friend to take their picture in the Harbor

Maybe Zhao Sunming was starting to use them for personal gain, and Iwao turned on him to try to stop him? I think we will find out for sure in Shenmue III.
No we didn't. Shenmue 3 didn't feel like a Shenmue game to me. It left you with more questions than it answered.I hope we don't have to wait another 20 years for the continuation of the story. I wish Suzuki would just publish a book and be done with the story.

I find it interesting that in 1986 Ryo managed to get his hands on a Sega Saturn, 8 years before it was released not to mention that the Tomato convenience store somehow just happens to have 2 games for it as prizes that were popular in the current time at the You arcade in 1985 . Hang On (October 1995) and Space Harrier (which was part of the Sega Ages Volume 2. It was never a game on its own on the Saturn. It was release in 1996 in Japan only.) Making it an already rare find for Ryo having the only Space Harrier stand alone game in his possession ten years before it was released for the system) The Master System would have been a more realistic system to have in the game. Sega did mention their current system at the time in Ryo's bedroom.

As for the Virtua Fighters capsules, the game wasn't released until 1993. Ryo is collecting a bunch of unknown futuristic toys and not knowing anything about them. ( Just to think, Ryo would be able to cash in with the whole collection as soon as they started making the toys. Having the entire collection years before the game comes out and then cashing in for thousands of Yen. Hell he could come up with the game before Yu Suzuki can.) Doc Brown would have aneurysm if he knew about this

Last edited:
Back