Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

I like it when artists just do whatever the hell they want, so this is fine by me. Can't wait to see what he's come up with!
From the translation provided by our Switch, the "...I'd want to play myself" statement was definetely pleasant to me. there's a world of a difference between that, a personal and distinctive creation than a "game you (everyone) want to play" which sounded to me as standard, not exciting and not Yu Suzuki at all. Now I'm teased and will be keeping my eyes on it being a Shenmue related game or not. Well said Yu-san, you can't appeal to everyone.

Given the Dreamcast connection, did Shuji Utsumi ever have any link to S1&2? If he did then maybe this’d be a good sign for S4 possibly..?

Well, one of two ways I guess, either would show his faith in the series or would show he did have faith in it and then it didn’t really work out so nah, forget it.

Sorry for two posts in a row, but completely different random thought.

If S4 - or S0/reboot/whatever - had cel shaded graphics that mirrored the way the anime looked, would this attract new players? Given that anime overall obviously has more fans than Shenmue does.

Just a thought given YS comments about making a fourth game more appealing to a wider audience - whether anime would be classed as mainstream though I dunno.

Presumably making animation is considerably cheaper than game development, but I’ve no idea whether that sort of visual style increases/decreases/ has no impact on development costs.

Anime isn’t my thing at all, but would it put me off if it was done well and looked similar to Shenmue the Animation? Not at all.

Would it put me off if it went full on Wind Waker? Definitely.

Would I vastly prefer another game with the sort of visuals we’ve had so far? Yeah.

Saw this on Reddit this morning. It's from the new Yakuza game that comes out today. Apparently you carry around an MP3 player and can listen to podcasts. This clip was part of the first podcast. It's actually sick and so well done. Didn't really know when to post it on the forums, but thought it would fuel those "RGG should make Shenmue IV" rumours :p. Video has no Yakuza spoilers.

The OP is going to continue listing to them, and will update if he finds any more Shenmue related clips.

Last edited:
Saw this on Reddit this morning. It's from the new Yakuza game that comes out today. Apparently you carry around an MP3 player and can listen to podcasts. This clip was part of the first podcast. It's actually sick and so well done. Didn't really know when to post it on the forums, but thought it would fuel those "RGG should make Shenmue IV" rumours :p. Video has no Yakuza spoilers.

The OP is going to continue listing to them, and will update if he finds any more Shenmue related clips.
Brilliantly done.

This should be regarded to Corey and Masaya in order to get a reaction from them. I would do it myself but Im not into "X former Twitter".

Given the Dreamcast connection, did Shuji Utsumi ever have any link to S1&2? If he did then maybe this’d be a good sign for S4 possibly..?
Im betting that given the status of flag release back at then, he was involved one way or another concerning the launch campaign or marketing. If that means it's a good sign... For that Im clueless. How has his mindset about the series evolved after all this years is unknown until he is asked specifically. Just developing on your thought, is there any remote possibility that he influenced in the decisition of allowing Yu-san to work with the ip? That could be a nice question looking for a future interview I believe.

Im betting that given the status of flag release back at then, he was involved one way or another concerning the launch campaign or marketing. If that means it's a good sign... For that Im clueless. How has his mindset about the series evolved after all this years is unknown until he is asked specifically. Just developing on your thought, is there any remote possibility that he influenced in the decisition of allowing Yu-san to work with the ip? That could be a nice question looking for a future interview I believe.
Well, pure speculation of course, but he did mention they’d been looking at bringing Virtua Fighter back, so maybe it’s not completely inconceivable they’ve had some contact with YS recently, which would be a promising sign. Being as their new thing seems to be reviving old things… who knows.

I feel vaguely optimistic about the series continuing - SEGA-related or otherwise - but it’s all very much based on absolutely zero as I don’t pay any attention at all to games outside of Shenmue and Zelda these days…

Well, pure speculation of course, but he did mention they’d been looking at bringing Virtua Fighter back, so maybe it’s not completely inconceivable they’ve had some contact with YS recently, which would be a promising sign. Being as their new thing seems to be reviving old things… who knows.

I feel vaguely optimistic about the series continuing - SEGA-related or otherwise - but it’s all very much based on absolutely zero as I don’t pay any attention at all to games outside of Shenmue and Zelda these days…
There's wild speculation and this is not, I believe. Sega has considerally enhanced their position in market since a couple of years back. The new CEO looking at what they did them great long ago, their IPs rather than their hardware, sounds probable and reinforced with the recent announced oldies revival. Maybe their teasing the waters before going all in with Virtua and Shenmue? It could be... I wish!
About keeping up with Yu Suzuki, that's also a clever thing to do. For my speculation share, beyond the theorical rivality with RGG Nagoshi: wouldnt amuse me if he is one of Yu-san compadres from the inside.

Streets of Rage/Golden Axe and whatever else they’ve got back involved with so far are more arcade-y style things, I guess VF is too, but Shenmue isn’t at all that kind of thing, so surely that’d be announced entirely separately…?

Plus… the Yakuza cameo must mean Shenmue is on the mind of someone at SEGA at least.

I am just being slightly silly, but you never know. I can hope I suppose.

The podcast ends with:
"Best luck in the mainland kid, I hope you find what you're looking for.....And stay away from my house!"

This last sentence can also be understood as "Shenmue, you're free to go, best of luck and never come back to SEGA"

Maybe I've become too negative lately?
:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
The podcast ends with:
"Best luck in the mainland kid, I hope you find what you're looking for.....And stay away from my house!"

This last sentence can also be understood as "Shenmue, you're free to go, best of luck and never come back to SEGA"

Maybe I've become too negative lately?
:ROFLMAO:
You’re being too negative.

Baseless speculation plus that cameo = mega budget SEGA funded Shenmue 4.

Everyone rejoice.

SEGA has been testing the waters with Shenmue for a while now.

There’s the 1 & 2 ports which did better than expected for them. They saw how Shenmue 3 generated a lot of hype and broke some records along the way. Then there’s the anime which did so well it almost got a 2nd season had it not been for Warner Bros.

Shenmue has proven it still has potential. For SEGA to now put such a big Shenmue easter egg in their most popular video game series, something they wouldn't have bothered doing previously, can only be a good thing.

I see embracer group (deep silvers parent company) has recently shit the bed and is cancelling projects left right and centre

A Deus Ex game 2 years into development was axed today along with 90 odd employees.

Kinda a blessing because if they had green lit Shenmue 4 it could potentially have been on the chopping block!
I won't voice my mind loud as it would bum you all... but cross your fingers everyone. 2024 is gonna be hard for videogame companies.

Until a year ago, I thought we could surely raise at least 5 million from a new kickstarter. But now I'm thinking that if we can't even buy 500 units of the 70 euro collector's edition of Air Twister to support Ysnet... How are we going to raise 5 million? :D For 70 euro you get two Yu Suzuki autographs, one art book , the game with manual, one book with yu suzuki biography and two disk soundtrack... and almost nobody buying it.

Also, I'm seeing more and more comments from people on social media about how big Shenmue fans they are, but they're still afraid to play their copy of Shenmue 3... Seeing that kind of things drives me crazy. I can not understand it.
I'll never forget the day on November 19th, 2019 when I got home from work and the first thing I did before even changing my clothes was to launch the game. The main menu and the music almost brought me to tears. How these people managed to not launch the game all these years and what are they afraid of? 😅

Last edited:
Back