Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

You're probably right. Saying nothing is the best move these days. Best for them I mean, terrible for us. :)

That's the way the business works. The only thing they will say is to "keep checking SEGA.com and our social media for future game announcements", or just not respond.

Way back (probably close to, if not a decade or more) in the 2010s, then SEGA West Head Mike Hayes said they were focusing on "pillars" of the company, which at the time, were basically your Sonics, Total Wars, Football Managers, etc. At least if we go to SEGA.com now, Shenmue is listed as one of their franchises: https://www.sega.com/

It's not much, but at least we know it hasn't been written off entirely.
Really bizarre that "Like a Dragon Gaiden" is listed separately from "Like a Dragon". Also, they probably just can't be assed to remove Valkyrie Chronicles, but I really hope we get another installment someday. VC4 was awesome and actually my favorite game in the series.

Yeah, this is an odd list, and an odder way to curate it. They link Hatsune Miku to the mobile game, even though there have been Switch and Steam releases recently, Gaiden is separate from LAD as you mentioned, Valkyria links to the steam page for the first game only (even though there is a bundle on the Steam page that includes 4). Phantasy Star isn't listed as Phantasy Star Online, even though it has been ages since the last Phantasy Star game that wasn't online, and they list Vanquish, even though it only had a remaster in 2020 and nothing else. The Demon Slayer game, said to have sold over 3 million copies, is nowhere to be found, but Alien Isolation is, which is a 2014 release and only saw a limited edition rerelease this year. No mention of the Genesis/Mega Drive Mini, either.

It has always bothered me that SEGA has never acknowledged their arcade releases, as you'd think that, being under the same parent company and sharing the SEGA name, the home gaming branch could use their reach to help promote at least internally developed arcade games like the newer (at the time) Daytona and SEGA Rally games, House Of The Dead: Scarlet Dawn, etc. but no. And they barely acknowledge the countless franchises that have been farmed out and published externally, but have still done very well: Shenmue III, Space Channel 5 VR Kinda Funky News Flash, Streets Of Rage 4, Rez Infinite, Panzer Dragoon: Remake, and The House Of The Dead: Remake. All of these get brushed under the rug.

I love SEGA, and I honestly do believe that the PS4/Xbox One/Switch era into the current days have been their best since the Dreamcast and immediate post Dreamcast days in terms of quality, even if you ignore the farmed out IPs listed above. But there still seems to be so many boneheaded moves, like their website design choices, that could be an instant and likely near free fix that they would just do nothing about.

Using Google Translate…

Keyword​

Make a game that you want to play!

Aspiration​

Project with screenwriters and musicians from different industries

recent situation​

This year, we were able to release a fantasy shooter called "Air Twister" on home game consoles and PC versions. Please spend the year-end and New Year holidays with "Air Twister" where you can feel free to play!

Attention​

I think that clever and very good stries such as "SPYxFAMILY" and "Apocalyptice" will be useful for making games. By the way, I recently got "Itami Juzo FILM COLLECTION Blu-ray BOX" and I'm grinning.

Very interesting! Never thought that Yu-san would be into SPYxFamily!

Apocalyptice
『薬屋のひとりごと』(Kusuriya no Hitorigoto, transl. The Apothecary Diaries?)

Could this "Attention" section tease a Shenmue manga in the works?
Sorry I overlooked the explicit "for making games" part.

I admit that the resolution "a game you want to play" twisted my butt in a bad way. Damn..

qXvVlDB (1).gif

Last edited:

"Keyword

Make a game that you want to play!"

I hope that Yu-san is not familiar with the concept of trolling, because unless he's making Persona 6, there's only one other game i'm waiting for to be announced....

The screenwriter stuff is cool and I'd hope harks back to the original games where they had a really good story team.

I'm hoping they have learnt the lessons of Shenmue 3 and have something good lined up with the story team make-up.

The screenwriter stuff is cool and I'd hope harks back to the original games where they had a really good story team.

I'm hoping they have learnt the lessons of Shenmue 3 and have something good lined up with the story team make-up.
Did Yu-San learn his lesson and decide to make a game that does NOT involve chasing thugs? And more importantly, will he make a hot coffee mini game with Niao Sun??? That’s the game we want to play.

Back