Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

True, you can't judge from a few seconds of gameplay, but the Streets of rage game looks like the canceled SOR4 dreamcast version.

Shinobi Game looks like one of many retro-inspired indie games. Will it be better than the 3DS shinobi game?

At least Golden axe looks better than Golden Axe Beast Rider for 360. At first glance.

After many ports of the original Dreamcast versions of Crazy Taxi and JSR for phones, PC and consoles, it's nice to finally see something new after 20+ years..... But they don't do anything to help completion of Shenmue.... Completely insane! SEGA-Sammy are walking on thin ice and playing with the patience of the fans. :)

Sometimes I wonder was Shenmue 3 really outdated?

I think that critique was just coded language used by people who already hated Shenmue back in 2000.

How was it not modern…. because the dialogue is hilariously clunky at times? Because Ryo was one note stoic and probably a little on the spectrum? Those things gave the Shenmue series it’s unique charm.

I don’t buy that Shenmue needs to be more “modern”, I think dude bro gamers like that dickweed Jeff Gerstman and those obnoxious Kinda Funny airheads who just want to play GTA while drinking Mountain Dew and smoking weed can just kiss off.

To be honest, it's more the UI, the menus and the cinematics for me. The things you mention are, to me, quite endearing and charming at times (but we have to admit it is an acquired taste).

It just had quite an antiquated and old fashioned feel to it and not always in a good way. The writing and pacing felt kinda weird too.

And yeah, those weird and stiff animations.

I like the game a lot. But more modern isn't me saying it needs to play like GTA or some modern action game.

I think Sega has to be doing something Shenmue related. That comment about a prequel came out of nowhere. It seems the reporter initiated the conversation around a prequel but the quote “I cannot go into detail at this point, but it is something I have been thinking about” just sounds peculiar if nothing is actually in the works.

I think Sega has to be doing something Shenmue related. That comment about a prequel came out of nowhere. It seems the reporter initiated the conversation around a prequel but the quote “I cannot go into detail at this point, but it is something I have been thinking about” just sounds peculiar if nothing is actually in the works.
I totally missed that due the late hour at my time zone. Interesting at least.

Let me be clear, I want closure but not some rushed ending that cuts everything that was intended. This is why I strongly believe the FULL story needs to get out in another format. We already know, even with the games we have, that story parts were cut. There is seemingly not enough budget in the world for them to complete the full story in video game format. This is why to only push for another video game will likely not be as satisfying in regards to the story.

As much as I would love them to, I am sceptical that SEGA will make another Shenmue game. They couldn’t do a proper remaster of 1 & 2 during a time when hype for Shenmue 3 was through the roof. The best they could do was put out buggy ports of the first two games and ask the fans to help them fix those bugs. After the response to Shenmue 3, would they do it now when they could pump out more Yakuza? I doubt it.

Honestly, I think the best shot we have is more crowdfunding. Cedric was initially opposed to the idea, but his recent tweet suggests they might be warming to it (“you never know…”), which would make sense if they’ve been working their butts off to pitch Shenmue 4 with no success. When I saw Cedric's tweet, I was bracing for the inevitable backlash. ‘Greedy developers!’, ‘Scam artists!’ etc. Yet…not an ounce of social media outrage. Surprisingly, many people seem to be on board with the idea.

Of course, if they went down that route they would need to learn from the previous Kickstarter to make sure this one is better handled. Communication would be on point and nothing short of high-quality presentation should be used (no papyrus font!). Making it clear that they have learned from the previous Kickstarter could also entice people back in: 'Shenmue 3 was the first console game from YS Net. Having the chance to create a new chapter in this beloved series was a true labour of love for our team. However, we recognise that mistakes were made. These last few years, we have reflected on the lessons we learned from that project. We have listened to the voices of each and every one of you, collating your feedback and understanding what worked and where we fell short in the last game. After going back to the drawing board to rethink how to offer an improved experience for everyone to enjoy, we are now in a position to finally offer you closure to Ryo's journey in Shenmue 4' or some bullshit like that.

I'm just spitting words out here. I would of course love it if SEGA would reconsider Shenmue, and agree that the "I cannot go into detail at this point" does seem a bit fishy. Let's hope things start turning around for us in 2024.

Let me be clear, I want closure but not some rushed ending that cuts everything that was intended. This is why I strongly believe the FULL story needs to get out in another format. We already know, even with the games we have, that story parts were cut. There is seemingly not enough budget in the world for them to complete the full story in video game format. This is why to only push for another video game will likely not be as satisfying in regards to the story.

japalp, i really understand and respect your opinion that you want closure, is just that in the end of the day will be Yu's decision, all we can do is to continue supporting him and Shenmue, i'm not saying we need to agree with Yu's decisions, all i'm saying is that we need to continue to support him.

To me it is clear that he doesn't want to share the whole story in another format right now, it looks like he want to continue trying to make the games, it looks like first Yu-san want to complete Shenmue in the way he started, in game format, and he have all the rights to continue trying this way.

In the current situation i believe it would be better for Yu-san to end Shenmue in Shenmue V, i think in Shenmue V we can have a satisfying ending, will he do that? i don't know, maybe at this point Yu-san now want to finish in Shenmue IV, all i know is that i will continue to support him.

Like i said in another post i understand the feelings of sadness, tiredness and hopelessness, especially for the people that waited 18 years for Shenmue III.

If we don't receive any news next year about the future of Shenmue then i will be worried.

If someday they decide to go the Kickstarter route again i will help and I'm sure many people here would do the same, maybe it could work, i believe in the power of our Shenmue Community, we even got an anime and in my opinion it was a great addition to the Shenmue series.

The fact that Yu-san has his own studio YS NET and that he is still making games is something really positive to me.

Many people said Shenmue III would never happen, that the series would never be revived, but now Shenmue III is a reality, to me it is not impossible for us to get Shenmue IV and even a Shenmue 0.

To be honest, it's more the UI, the menus and the cinematics for me. The things you mention are, to me, quite endearing and charming at times (but we have to admit it is an acquired taste).

It just had quite an antiquated and old fashioned feel to it and not always in a good way. The writing and pacing felt kinda weird too.

And yeah, those weird and stiff animations.

I like the game a lot. But more modern isn't me saying it needs to play like GTA or some modern action game.

If S3 was more “modern” it probably would have been woke. No way the feminist censors would have allowed Niao Sun to look as hot as she was.

If S3 was more “modern” it probably would have been woke. No way the feminist censors would have allowed Niao Sun to look as hot as she was.
Hi guys, look when you go to the kitchen there is this female character dressed in yellow, and she is always cooking. We need to boycott this game. Like comment and subscribe.

I have mixed opinions on everything that has taken place over the last few weeks

1. I'm extremely happy to see these classic games come back. They deserve it.

2. I doubt this will lead to another shenmue game from Sega as all the ips in that trailer look like they have a small indie budget. Jet set radio, looks like it has a bit more. Part of me thinks the combined budget of all of these might still not be enough for another Shenmue game. Maybe it could be, not sure.

3. I think Virtua Fighter is definitely coming back after the success of the remaster.

4. That tweet about how it's because of Sonic's success that they're able to make these games seems like BS. Where did all the money come from for Hyenas? Obviously from sonic, yakuza and persona, but they shouldn't act like this is a new thing that just happened. They've always had the money to bring these games back, they've just chosen not to and instead invested their profits into garbage.

5. While Cedric's tweet does seem a bit doom and gloom, I find it odd that suzuki is entertaining the idea of a Shenmue 0, and that they seek a budget bigger for shenmue 4 than Shenmue 3. That doesn't make any sense given the series' limited appeal and profit margins. There must be something else going on behind the scenes that we're not aware of.

Either way, good news. Looking forward to all of these

I have mixed opinions on everything that has taken place over the last few weeks

1. I'm extremely happy to see these classic games come back. They deserve it.

2. I doubt this will lead to another shenmue game from Sega as all the ips in that trailer look like they have a small indie budget. Jet set radio, looks like it has a bit more. Part of me thinks the combined budget of all of these might still not be enough for another Shenmue game. Maybe it could be, not sure.

3. I think Virtua Fighter is definitely coming back after the success of the remaster.

4. That tweet about how it's because of Sonic's success that they're able to make these games seems like BS. Where did all the money come from for Hyenas? Obviously from sonic, yakuza and persona, but they shouldn't act like this is a new thing that just happened. They've always had the money to bring these games back, they've just chosen not to and instead invested their profits into garbage.

5. While Cedric's tweet does seem a bit doom and gloom, I find it odd that suzuki is entertaining the idea of a Shenmue 0, and that they seek a budget bigger for shenmue 4 than Shenmue 3. That doesn't make any sense given the series' limited appeal and profit margins. There must be something else going on behind the scenes that we're not aware of.

Either way, good news. Looking forward to all of these
I think now it’s possible that we’re going to get a shenmue 0 before 4, to try to revive the series and bring in new fans or test the waters out

Sega also promises to revive even more legacy properties. Fighting game fans have been wondering why the first 3D fighter series Virtua Fighter is so dormant. Utsumi said the company is aware of the game’s niche status.
“We are evaluating right now. Virtua Fighter doesn’t use so many tricks, special moves like in Street Fighter, it’s very realistic,” Utsumi said. “How can we make it more dramatic? It’s something we’re working on.”

Sorry to spoil the mood guys, but the announcement of these games is terrible news for the Shenmue franchise. If SEGA wanted to bring back the spirit/energy of the Dreamcast, Shenmue 4 should have been the first game they brought back.

I think the selection of these titles is a clear sign that they want nothing to do with Shenmue. Several attempts have been made to bring crazy taxi over the years. It's not their first time. Crazy Taxi City Rush and Crazy Taxi Tycoon for phones are just some of the examples. Shinobi for 3DS, Golden Axe remake on PS2, Golden Axe on Xbox 360 and so on. Golden axe, shinobi and streets of rage are in every Megadrive compilation. These games are probably selected with a single purpose in mind. They won't be very expensive to develop.

Nothing is known about these games. Who will develop them, do they understand making arcade games, etc. New jet set radio game without Hideki Naganuma? How is that possible?

This announcement raises more questions than it answers. New information will come out soon I guess, but what is shown doesn't look good at all. Especially showing these games while people are waiting for a sequel to Shenmue and Virtua Fighter.... I just don't understand them sometimes.

Sega also promises to revive even more legacy properties. Fighting game fans have been wondering why the first 3D fighter series Virtua Fighter is so dormant. Utsumi said the company is aware of the game’s niche status.
“We are evaluating right now. Virtua Fighter doesn’t use so many tricks, special moves like in Street Fighter, it’s very realistic,” Utsumi said. “How can we make it more dramatic? It’s something we’re working on.”

They are totally nuts if they want to add special moves and flashy tricks like the ones in SF. I emphasize on the statement "to make the game less realistic and more dramatic!" :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I hope they can understand that VF being relatively grounded and understated is a strength that helps the series stand out rather than a weakness. Also in the grand scheme of things, it's not THAT realistic, just more so compared to stuff like SF and KoF. It's a game about pure, beautifully idealized martial arts above all else. It definitely has its own sharp, vibrant, popping, and iconic style in terms of both audio and visuals.

If anything, they should be more focused on how best to market the extremely unique and nuanced flavor of VF now that it has been away from the spotlight for so long. People absolutely love it once they "get" it. It would be a shame to not even give it a chance now that the market is so much bigger, people in the market are spending so much more, and new forms + normalizations of communications enables marketing to help people understand their products in a way like never before.

Especially showing these games while people are waiting for a sequel to Shenmue and Virtua Fighter.... I just don't understand them sometimes.

Because there's a like a couple dozen people waiting on those games, whilst a million casuals jizz their pants when they hear Streets of Rage and Golden Axe etc.

I do think there is a good chance Sega will end up with egg on their face with these projects though. They definitely do look like they are going to be fairly low budget and then there was the rumours a while back that they want to follow the 'Fortnite' model... There is a strong chance these are going to be garbage. I mean, Streets of Rage looked like some weird low budget 3D brawler from the PS1 era (albeit in HD), Crazy Taxi looked a bit weird and Bomb Rush Cyberfunk looks like a better attempt at a modernised version of JSR than the actual new JSR they showed off in that trailer. Of course, these are still early in development, so I will be patient and try not to judge any until they are out and I can play them, but yeah... there's a good possibility these could wind up being rubbish.

Last edited:
So they want to add magic/specials to VF. That doesn’t sound so good to me.
Yeah, i probably won’t play it if they do. I like VF because it's martial art and realistic.

Back