Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

I wonder what “and more” could possibly refer to aside from VF and Shenmue? Maybe Eco the Dolphin or Vectorman are candidates too. They could also bring back Blue Stinger….

But Shenmue just costs too much so I could only imagine Sega making a low budget story focused game. And that’s really all we want at this point
I'd hope VF is nailed on.

If they can make the numbers work then they can do a new Shenmue title. Story driven is fine - use all that internal experience and I think they could deliver something we'd all be happy with.

I'd hope VF is nailed on.

If they can make the numbers work then they can do a new Shenmue title. Story driven is fine - use all that internal experience and I think they could deliver something we'd all be happy with.
Would YS agree to participate in a cheap story driven S4 or will he stubbornly hold out for a higher budget?

Shenmue is his baby and I wonder if he would be too protective of it.

Would YS agree to participate in a cheap story driven S4 or will he stubbornly hold out for a higher budget?

Shenmue is his baby and I wonder if he would be too protective of it.
That's a good question. One I can't answer and he does have a right as the creator to that view. You'd hope people around him would discuss all that.

SEGA could go it alone but I'd be very very surprised if they did that.

That's a good question. One I can't answer and he does have a right as the creator to that view. You'd hope people around him would discuss all that.

SEGA could go it alone but I'd be very very surprised if they did that.
I think Cedric Biscay said that YS wanted a much bigger budget for S4 so the game could appeal to a mass audience instead of just the fans. Also I believe on the podcast one of the Kitchen brothers alluded to YS possibly holding back story content in S3 so he could tell it with better production values in 4. Seems like he feels a high budget is needed for Shenmue.

I think Cedric Biscay said that YS wanted a much bigger budget for S4 so the game could appeal to a mass audience instead of just the fans. Also I believe on the podcast one of the Kitchen brothers alluded to YS possibly holding back story content in S3 so he could tell it with better production values in 4. Seems like he feels a high budget is needed for Shenmue.
Cedric did at the time but things change and $20m isn't insane money if they can balance the books.

We'll see. I think it needs to be discussed at SEGA as to what is sensible.

Also its been years since I did that show but that's not the feeling I got from that interview at all.

I don't begrudge them for going with these franchises and not Shenmue 4. Ok, maybe I do a little haha.

I do agree with spud, I think it was, who said Sega and YS maybe need to reassess exactly what a Shenmue game can be and how it can be brought back on a more streamlined budget, as a smaller scale project. To me, Shenmue at its heart is a point and click adventure game and there have been tons of excellent ones created over the last several years on very modest budgets. If they have to reinvent Shenmue for the modern age and to work on a tighter budget, then so be it, as long as the characters and story are authentic and true to what makes a Shenmue Shenmue.

This is also a valid point

I am all for a prequel, but PLEASE finish the story before starting another prequel story that may never be finished. Not sure how a prequel would be able to be as satisfying when we don’t even know the original story.

Some quick initial thoughts:

SEGA bringing back some Dreamcast bangers and other classic IPs was a great surprise.

Of course, Shenmue 4 would’ve rocketed that new era line-up to a E3 2015 mythical status. Sad times.

We get it Geoff! You’re friends with Kojima.

Would people be ok with Sega handing development duties for a Shenmue 0 and/or future Shenmue games over to another developer if Yu Suzuki was kept on in an advisory role? I sometimes wonder if Shenmue needs a fresh set of eyes or a fresh vision, whilst retaining the feeling, identity and spirit of the original games.

I know it's super risky. Another team could really mess it up, but it could also pay off. If you can find a development team that "gets" Shenmue and Yu Suzuki's vision, but also knows how to make it feel modern, sort out the pacing and writing and to work on a smaller budget, it could be amazing. The anime was!

Not to sound like I am bashing Shenmue 3 again or beat a dead horse, but I remember Yu Suzuki saying he doesn't play video games and hasn't really kept up with what modern games are doing, and whilst I was playing Shenmue 3, I kept thinking "we can tell..."

Anyways I am just dreaming and hypothesising.

I think its dead. And i dont mean Shenmue 4 is dead in general,
just that Sega is not interested in developing or funding anything
that would count as a sequel to their Shenmue 1 & 2 games.
A new Crazy Taxi game or Jet Set Radio etc is a lot cheaper to develop
than a full on official new Sega Shenmue game. A fully fleshed out modern Shenmue game
is probably more expensive than all of the announced Sega games combined.

Would people be ok with Sega handing development duties for a Shenmue 0 and/or future Shenmue games over to another developer if Yu Suzuki was kept on in an advisory role? I sometimes wonder if Shenmue needs a fresh set of eyes or a fresh vision, whilst retaining the feeling, identity and spirit of the original games.

I know it's super risky. Another team could really mess it up, but it could also pay off. If you can find a development team that "gets" Shenmue and Yu Suzuki's vision, but also knows how to make it feel modern, sort out the pacing and writing and to work on a smaller budget, it could be amazing. The anime was!

Not to sound like I am bashing Shenmue 3 again or beat a dead horse, but I remember Yu Suzuki saying he doesn't play video games and hasn't really kept up with what modern games are doing, and whilst I was playing Shenmue 3, I kept thinking "we can tell..."

Yes I would.

The Anime was envisioned by a new team and ran it all by Suzuki. Most of the community loved it so I think if it's handled with the same care I'm all in on it.

Sometimes I wonder was Shenmue 3 really outdated?

I think that critique was just coded language used by people who already hated Shenmue back in 2000.

How was it not modern…. because the dialogue is hilariously clunky at times? Because Ryo was one note stoic and probably a little on the spectrum? Those things gave the Shenmue series it’s unique charm.

I don’t buy that Shenmue needs to be more “modern”, I think dude bro gamers like that dickweed Jeff Gerstman and those obnoxious Kinda Funny airheads who just want to play GTA while drinking Mountain Dew and smoking weed can just kiss off.

At Sega HQ:
- Chief: we're bringing back Crazy Taxi!
- Employee: but mr boss, CT was hot at the very early 6th gen... Just a little after its gameplay was absorbed as sidemissions by practically every sandbox... Our own RGG featured taxi missions, GTA6 will feature taxi missions...
-Chief: we're bringing back Crazy Taxi! Because its oh so suppa game!

I don't know about you guys, but I have lost all desire to play and buy any new SEGA games. The way they treat Shenmue is terrible.

I don't know about you guys, but I have lost all desire to play and buy any new SEGA games. The way they treat Shenmue is terrible.
Not just Shenmue.. every other Yu Suzuki classic has turned a simple extra for RGG, not allowing him for including it at Shenmue 3, and back at RGG those games require near zero play time for completion points vs. every other no-Suzuki game. They're constantly making him less. Like I said before, one of the executives said not long ago that they won't go the NFT route for their most valued IPs. Virtua Fighter is their flag NFT, meaning...

I don't want a closure just for the sake of a closure, i dont want a ending just for the sake of a ending, i really don't want a rushed ending for my favorite video game series.

If Shenmue ended in Shenmue III it would be really bad in my opinion, besides Yu-san said that Ryo will forget about revenge.

Shenmue to me is not about Ryo killing Lan Di, getting revenge THE END, Shenmue is much more than that. Shenmue to me is about the journey, living this journey, in Shenmue to me the journey is much more important than the destination, Shenmue to me is about Ryo improving as a martial artist and as a character, making friends along the way, and these friends will help him grow.

Shenmue is Yu Suzuki story so my opinion is to let him tell his story in his own terms. Yu-san owes us nothing, people gave money to him and he made Shenmue III, the Kickstarter is over and now he owes us nothing.

If SEGA is involved in a new Shenmue project then Yu-san needs to be involved in my opinion, and i believe he will be involved in a Shenmue project, in the anime Yu-san was a executive producer.

I can see SEGA doing a Shenmue 0 in this "new era" they are talking about, and it would be easier this way for players to play Shenmue for the first time. Depending on how Shenmue 0 is done it can be amazing for the Shenmue series, even in terms of popularity of the series.

I would be okay with some changes i just don't want Shenmue to lose its essence, what makes Shenmue so unique, different and special, so to me is really important for Yu-san to be involved, if SEGA will do it then Yu-san need to be involved in some way.

To me is much more important to continue the story with Shenmue IV, but maybe we will see Shenmue IV and Shenmue 0? i can dream.

All i know is that I hope Yu-san can have the opportunities so he can continue Shenmue and complete Shenmue.

Shenmue deserves more appreciation and support, i really believe that someday Yu-san will complete Shenmue.

Yu-san said he will never give up on his own personal journey to complete Shenmue so i will not give up either, i will be with him in the Shenmue journey.💚

Back