Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

110 industries still has that statement in their website in "about tab"

"However, we are also actively engaging in major collaborations with our colleagues. 110 Industries encourages already existing IPs and licences to re-emerge. We are proactively seeking more opportunities, both Hollywood-class ventures and potential third-party projects. We plan to make a huge announcement with a well-known partner in the near future."

They are the kings of sweet talk and vain hopes. :) Alas, Shenmue 4 needs a publisher with such a vision. But a publisher with money.

Cedric said that he knows nothing about 110 Industries and doesn't have connections with them. :)

I hope some news pops up soon. We desperately need some new rumor or leak. :)

Im assuming everyone but me has already seen the pitching material to boldly state that any progress hasn't been made. Please link some screenshots, I wanna see it too.

Again, nothing like that has been said by Cedric. And no, if S4 started development from scratch tomorrow, it won't mean 10~15 years vista. But It seems like a mood of joyful rolling over a mud pool has installed. Dont count me for that.

Also, this proves something that I've said before when many were asking for news, leverage and such: anything but "S4 is ready and next to announce probably in a week or so" won't be enough. It was proven at Lucca, IGN interview and now with Cedric response. I hope that they take note and from now on ignore future demands, and keep themselves busy with their things.
Can't wait to see Yu Suzuki's new game this TGA :)

It happened to 1 and 2, so it was fully expected.

Wasn't 1 and 2 more positive? I remember the first one being a little more mixed than 2, particularly in the context of how hyped up it was, but even the lower review scores were still 7s and 8s out of 10 (and mostly 8s, I don't really remember many, if any, 7s). 2 seemed to get a much better scores.

Or do you mean the HD re-release?

Im assuming everyone but me has already seen the pitching material to boldly state that any progress hasn't been made. Please link some screenshots, I wanna see it too.

Again, nothing like that has been said by Cedric. And no, if S4 started development from scratch tomorrow, it won't mean 10~15 years vista. But It seems like a mood of joyful rolling over a mud pool has installed. Dont count me for that.

Also, this proves something that I've said before when many were asking for news, leverage and such: anything but "S4 is ready and next to announce probably in a week or so" won't be enough. It was proven at Lucca, IGN interview and now with Cedric response. I hope that they take note and from now on ignore future demands, and keep themselves busy with their things.
Can't wait to see Yu Suzuki's new game this TGA :)
Seaman - I love your optimism but did you read what Cedric said? We aren't reading into anything or saying we have seen the progress. Not trying to be a downer, just dealing with reality. I am happy that it doesn't bother you.
As a creatrix myself i feel this is not simple, and i saw many cases where other creators feel this way too.

Hunter x Hunter is a manga by Yoshihiro Togashi, The manga began to be published in 1998, the manga has frequently gone on extended hiatuses since 2006 and we still don't have a conclusion to the story. Yoshihiro Togashi has health problems, people say he could hire other artists so he can make the chapters faster, but Togashi-san has his reasons on why he prefer to make it in his own terms.

Kentaro Miura was the creator of the manga Berserk, the manga began to be published in 1989, as far as i know Berserk has gone on extended hiatuses similar to Hunter x Hunter. Miura-san has passed away in 2021.

A close friend of Miura-san know how the story continue and how the story ends, he decided to continue the manga for Miura-san.

Another example is George R.R. Martin the author of the novels A Song of Ice and Fire, he is struggling to write the new book "The Winds of Winter" he even said... "I'm 12 years late on this damn novel, and I'm struggling with it."

I'm sharing all of this because for the creators is not that simple, in my opinion creators have their reasons for the choices they make and i respect that, i'm not saying i agree with everything, i'm just saying i respect the creators/artists.

Now back to Shenmue... i feel that Yu-san want to share the whole story but in his way, and what is his way? i think his way is to try to make the games Shenmue IV and Shenmue V on his own terms.

Probably right now he doesn't want to share the whole story in manga form, book form or other medium, Yu-san probably want to make the games Shenmue IV and Shenmue V, to realize his vision.

I really understand that people don't want to wait another 18 years for Shenmue IV, i understand that people are worried about the future of the Shenmue series, i understand the feelings of sadness, tiredness and hopelessness.

Can you all imagine how Yu-san must feel about this situation? i imagine that it is really hard for him, but it looks like Yu-san want to continue trying and i really admire him, his power to never give up is really amazing, and this was one of the reasons why we got Shenmue III.

In the Shenmue III credits Yu-san said that he will never give up about completing Shenmue.

The fact that Yu Suzuki has his own studio YS NET, and that he still making games is something really positive, that gives me hope.

If we don't receive any news about the future of Shenmue next year, i will be worried.. I don't know why exactly but right now i remain positive even after Cedric's update, if the Shenmue community give up now then the situation will be
worse.

I will not give up now, i will continue to fight for my favorite game series to be completed. I think i will only give up if Yu-san say that the game is over, that he will not try to continue Shenmue anymore in game form, if this happen i just hope he share the story with us in another form.
I respect the creators too. I don't want to go on and on, but my high level summary is that once you ask your fans to fund your dream, I think it becomes little different than just doing it on your own terms.

I am so frustrated being a Shenmue fan because I am the type of person who doesn't like to put a book down until I have completed the story. I crave closure. I understand everyone is not like that and I respect that. I have waited 25 years for closure to this story. I gave everything I could to the kickstarter. I would do it again. I think there are plenty of ways for him to share the story without precluding him in the future of being able to still tell it in video game format if he gets the funding he wants. He shared the slides that we have tried to analyze to death so we know a little already. What is the harm in getting the story out there? We already know the games have cut out pieces of the story so this would only add to it. He can still take whatever creative liberties he wants if he gets the go ahead in the future. I'm not trying to derail his dream or creative liberty, but it gets harder every year trying to still care about this when we get very little communication or understand what the plan is.

I actually had a bit of a “Shenmue 4” experience yesterday. I was playing 3 and had just fought Mr Muscles with Ren at the Red Snakes hideout. After Muscles beat us the game froze instead of going to the cinematic with Ren and Shenhua at the Hotel.

I restarted the PS4 Pro and continued the game and the game started me in the hotel with Ren and Shenhua in the lobby but without the cinematic. I could talk to Ren (kept telling me to go get him treasure) but not Shenhua and oddly it was about 8PM but the desk lady collected the rate from me when I approached her.

So basically I had Ren and Shenhua right there not doing anything and I could “pretend” the 3 heroes were just chilling during Shenmue 4. Then 9PM hit and I couldn’t talk to Ren or Shenhua but they were still just hanging out in the lobby.

Well at least I got a “taste” of what S4 would have been like.
Did u say pretend? sometimes i pretend too maybe i pretend too much, u should listen to freddie mercury’s the great pretender the song is about a man who’s pretending his love is still there after she’s gone, maybe we’ll pretend that shenmue is still around if shenmue 4 never get released

Man that quote from Cedric definitely stings a little bit. It's good to know that they're still shopping it around but dang it I feel bummed out even though nothing's changed since 2020.

I was hoping with the Shenmue collection and animes successes that hopefully someone in the industry may have taken notice but I get it.

It's nice we got some sort of update. I really hope IV will be the last one in the series.

If the opportunity ever arises I will gladly donate for IV it'll be the easiest $ i ever spent. As always The saga continues.....

Wasn't 1 and 2 more positive? I remember the first one being a little more mixed than 2, particularly in the context of how hyped up it was, but even the lower review scores were still 7s and 8s out of 10 (and mostly 8s, I don't really remember many, if any, 7s). 2 seemed to get a much better scores.

Or do you mean the HD re-release?
I forget how good those scores actually were. My mistake. Think I was confusing this with the reception 1 & 2 received over the years, being branded as “boring”, “forklift simulators for assholes” etc.

Seaman - I love your optimism but did you read what Cedric said? We aren't reading into anything or saying we have seen the progress. Not trying to be a downer, just dealing with reality. I am happy that it doesn't bother you.
Agreed. It’s unfortunately right there in Cedric’s tweet. There could always be more than meets the eye I suppose, but right now it reads quite negative.

If they’re struggling to find a publisher, I hope they consider another crowdfunding. I would 100% back the hell out of it.

@japalp
Hi mate, how you doin'. Excuse me if it came out a little blunt. It sucks there's no clear horizon to what we wish right? Above everything, thank you for give me your point of view in your usual friendly way and allowing me to rephrase with a lesser emotional writing.
As I said, its not just that lacking further details about S4 do bothers me.. it puts me down and I think it sucks. This put us both at the same ground level.

Reading what Cedric said meant to me practically the same it did for Banenes.
Summing up, another update in a row this few months. Previously we had Yu Suzuki spilling some at Lucca con and with Ezra interview. Basically things that we discussed before but this time made official by YS himself: teasing for publishers, a spin-off/prequel pitch -which went into talking about flashbacks being a possibility - and a few (vage, I admit) things more.

This time I get confirmed more previously aknowledge things like S3 not being enough to secure 4, and that pitch material exists. This is where I believe we diverge.
It seems like when I read "early" I get "alpha state" or work in progress and others read early as "same as 2020". I believe that my reading is closer to what it is what Cedric is saying, without being overoptimistic. I even adressed to SMDZero that the series are cursed.. how to deny after the anime fate? But doomed, like done, no I don't (for arriving at that conclusion I need a voluntary statement by YS saying literally "the series are done, don't expect S4").
Pitching usually involves some sort of prototype that gets reshaped over years until finally is greenlighted, thats why I can't agree neither with the affirmation "we could face another decade even if S4 starts development right now".

Besides that mostly for sure they aren't pitching just a powerpoint but a alpha demo, there's a game skeleton and this year I've seen: high detailed 3D models created automatically by just passing a front and side view to AI, requiring just texture painting on it; Game assets that are +10 years old looking awesome by just being rendered under UE5; GTA 5 NPCs being confronted about living in a simulation and acting in negation-panic-assumption... Lots of crazy stuff that I couldn't imagine just two years ago. With more computation power that's gonna get more impressive and that's precisely scheduled for 2024, CPUs that calculate 3 times faster and better than today.

TLDR, Im pissed about not seeing S4 close; I admit the series are in a bad shape; (thats in line with Cedric post) I dont believe they're done; I don't believe "early" means same as 4 years ago but alpha/wip (also I believe goes with his words too).

In other topic, are you following this TGA2023? Where are you going to watch it? I'm still deciding and hoping there's some advances for Little Nightmares 3 and RE9 among other titles.

If I can dream like this guy on twitter, the games i want to see at the Game awards when i woke up tommorow are: Shenmue 4, Chaos legion 2, Dino Crisis 4, Tenchu 5, Grandia 4, Project Zero 6, Haunting Ground 2, Magna Carta 3, Deadly Premonition 3, Parasite Eve 3, Dragon Force 3 and... maybe Clock Tower 4 and Deep Fear 2? Please, Lord, at least one! Preferably the first one. :p

If I can dream like this guy on twitter, the games i want to see at the Game awards when i woke up tommorow are: Shenmue 4, Chaos legion 2, Dino Crisis 4, Tenchu 5, Grandia 4, Project Zero 6, Haunting Ground 2, Magna Carta 3, Deadly Premonition 3, Parasite Eve 3, Dragon Force 3 and... maybe Clock Tower 4 and Deep Fear 2? Please, Lord, at least one! Preferably the first one. :p
Are you me?

To finish the series we’re basically banking on miracle after miracle. It will take a miracle for Shenmue 4 to be greenlit, then it will take a miracle for it to be financially successful and a miracle for Shenmue 5. And if it takes six games that’s even more miracles. But if someone from the dojo wins the mega millions jackpot things should be somewhat easier. I’m just not sure if the normal way or the mega millions way is more likely.

Back