Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

Yu Suzuki doesn't owe us anything, he's not obligated to continue Shenmue, he continued with Shenmue III and i'm grateful for that, Yu-san is probably trying his best to make Shenmue IV, he said he will never give up on his personal journey to complete Shenmue, i'm grateful for that too. ❤️

I need to share more of my thoughts about this subject, i will need to talk a little bit about Shenmue III to share my point of view.

You know why Shenmue III was made? because no matter where Yu Suzuki went people asked if he would continue Shenmue, for more than 10 years this happened.

Yu Suzuki: No matter where i go i'm asked about the third version. I'd been searching for the possibility. I decided to build Shenmue III through Kickstarter.

In other video he said...

Yu Suzuki: Wherever i go people said "What's up with 3? when 3 is coming out?" so i kept on thinking how to get Shenmue III started.

Yu-san always say that he made Shenmue III for the fans, and in the Shenmue III credits we can clearly see how much he is grateful that the Shenmue community helped him to create Shenmue III.

In my opinion Yu-san care so much about us Shenmue Fans that he did the game, people gave money and he made the game, now he doesn't owe us anything.

Yu Suzuki is not here in this world to please our needs and desires, he created Shenmue with a team when he worked at SEGA, but that doesn't mean that now he needs to fulfill all of our desires, in my opinion this is completely wrong in so many levels, and i feel really sad when i see some Shenmue fans having this behaviour.

Yu-san is not obligated to continue Shenmue, Yu-san is not obligated to share in high quality the remaining of the Chapters arts, Yu-san is not obligated to continue Shenmue the way we want, Yu-san is not even obligated to share The Legend of Akira novels with us, if for some reason he wants to keep this content for himself he have all the rights to do that.

It would be amazing if someday he share with us, i really want to read all the chapters of The Legend of Akira with all the locations and details that he had to cut out of the games, but no, Yu Suzuki is not obligated to share with us.

Of course i want Shenmue to continue, Shenmue is my favorite video game series of all time and even changed my life, but Yu Suzuki is also a person with feelings, dreams and so much more, if Yu-san want to work in other games like he did with Air Twister he have all the rights to do that, he deserves respect just like we deserve respect too.

I'm not saying people have to agree with Yu's decisions, i'm just saying that he deserves respect. In some way i even consider us Shenmue fans really lucky, i say this because after every bad thing that Yu-san had to go through he still want to continue the Shenmue series.

Shenmue doesn't give much money to Yu Suzuki, Shenmue is not a popular series, Yu-san had to wait 18 years to release Shenmue III, Shenmue gets a lot of hate, even Yu-san gets a lot of hate, people saying that he is a scum artist and so much more, so yeah... i consider the Shenmue community lucky that Yu Suzuki still want to continue Shenmue.

Yu-san even said that he will niver give up on his own personal journey to complete the Shenmue series, i'm so grateful for that and i still have hope that we will get the game Shenmue IV. 💚

Last edited:
I know for sure that practically everyone rushin S4 will just go and download it from torrent, after rushin once more the hackers group trying to break the protection. They don't even interact in community, besides complaining and talking in terms of debt, owing, like in a cold monetary exchange instead of a healthy relationship with authors, allowing them an adequate creative climate.
All the things in life that worth it imply a long walk, that was taught specially with Shenmue 2 GD4.

In the other hand you have people, here in Dojo specially, acting the way it should be: caring for themselves, for their mental and physical health, enjoying the brief time we're here in this world, and knocking from time to time politely asking "is there any news?", or creating and editing quality and equilibriated content for keeping the series trend.

Im relieved by (kind of) knowing that Yu-san stopped to pay attention to that kind of toxic feedback. That he returned to training with discipline, recovering health and even got quite a few years off (compare pictures if you people like to) and that means he has been cooking a cake called Shenmue X for us, in slow burn as Shenmue its thought to be.

Rushy and debt-minded people, you're not my enemy. I just want you to be happy because clearly you're not, you obviously can't if a (great) videogame series are frustrating so much your plans.
Dont rush life, just wait for the cherry trees to blossom and then quietly observe the spectacle.

Yu Suzuki doesn't owe us anything, he's not obligated to continue Shenmue, he continued with Shenmue III and i'm grateful for that, Yu-san is probably trying his best to make Shenmue IV, he said he will never give up on his personal journey to complete Shenmue, i'm grateful for that too. ❤️

I’ll phrase it differently then:

I’ve been supporting Shenmue for 20+ years (financially and non), i think i deserve at least a 3 lines sentence explaining how the story progresses and ends.

Better now? :)

I’ve been supporting Shenmue for 20+ years (financially and non), i think i deserve at least a 3 lines sentence explaining how the story progresses and ends.

Of course Yu Suzuki doesn’t “owe” me anything and can do whatever he likes. All I am asking for is communication with the fan base, no matter where it stands. What good is all of this silence doing?

1. Yu-san probably wants to continue and finish Shenmue the way he started, in game format, so he will not share what happens next in the story right now, and he has all the rights to do that, in the Shenmue III credits he made it clear that he want to do the game Shenmue IV, and i agree this is the best way to continue Shenmue for so many reasons.

2. Seeing Yu Suzuki getting personal attacks even from Shenmue fans is really sad in my opinion, it seems like some people feel that the creators don't even have feelings, dreams and so much more, that the creators are here to please our needs and desires.

John Lennon was murdered by a person who claimed to be his fan.

In Japan even some creators wear masks to cover the entire face, some creators there even get death threats from some "fans" if they don't continue the story the way the person wants, some creators don't even share real names there, so yeah... i feel really sad when something similar happen with Yu Suzuki and i saw this happening many times, is really sad when i see Yu-san getting personal attacks.

3. Maybe he has reasons for this silence, maybe Shenmue IV will be announce in 3 months or so, so he can't share any details.

I agree that communication with the fanbase is important but we don't know what is happening inside YS NET, we really don't know if Yu-san have reasons for this silence, maybe he has reasons, all i know is that i will not personal attack him in any way, i will not demand anything.

If we don't get any news about the continuation of Shenmue this year and next year then i think is important for Yu-san to make an update for the Shenmue community, even if it's bad news

I don't know what's going on inside YS NET but in one of the interviews Yu-san said he still making games, i really believe that one of the games is Shenmue IV, all i know is that i believe in Yu's words in the Shenmue III credits, and that i'm grateful for everything.

image.png

Last edited:

I've been supporting it since 1999, too. But I aren't egotistical enough to think that Yu owes me anything. It was our choice to support it and Yu will give us answers when he's able to.

Of course Yu Suzuki doesn’t “owe” me anything and can do whatever he likes. All I am asking for is communication with the fan base, no matter where it stands. What good is all of this silence doing?

Probably because there's nothing to say? Or it's down to the publisher keeping a lid on it.
Don't forget that Yu, like other developers, have to adhere to NDAs.

Gamescom comes up at the end of August, plus we have a rumored Sony showcase in September.

TGS and TGAs.

We have some hope left for this year. I kind of want to see where 110 goes. Their teasing has been decidedly...on the nose. It was either the biggest troll ever or they might have something cooking now that Wanted: Dead is out and seems to have been a reasonable success.

We have some hope left for this year. I kind of want to see where 110 goes. Their teasing has been decidedly...on the nose. It was either the biggest troll ever or they might have something cooking now that Wanted: Dead is out and seems to have been a reasonable success.

These were my thoughts, too.
They weren't going to announce S3 while promoting Wanted through last year up until release (and for a while post-release).
We may see an announcement from them toward the end of the year or next if they are involved.
It would give Yu plenty of time to be working on the game in the meantime as well.

I'll add my own perspective on why he might be silent on Shenmue:

If the state of Shenmue hurts  us, I cannot even imagine how much it might be hurting  him.

It was his dream creation and he is struggling to fulfill it. I agree with Hiki on this that, sure I would LOVE for Yu to talk more about Shenmue - but he doesn't owe us anything beyond what we paid for (which was 1, 2, and 3 - and delivered by him).

I'll add my own perspective on why he might be silent on Shenmue:

If the state of Shenmue hurts  us, I cannot even imagine how much it might be hurting  him.

It was his dream creation and he is struggling to fulfill it. I agree with Hiki on this that, sure I would LOVE for Yu to talk more about Shenmue - but he doesn't owe us anything beyond what we paid for (which was 1, 2, and 3 - and delivered by him).

I agree 100% with you and i believe that if he had the opportunity he would have completed Shenmue a long time ago, i see people blaming Yu-san but i don't see people blaming SEGA, Shenmue is SEGA's franchise.

I believe SEGA could help Yu-san develop Shenmue IV if SEGA really wanted to, but SEGA probably doesn't care because Shenmue is not a popular series. I would love to see SEGA helping YS NET develop Shenmue IV.

Yu-san really want to continue and complete Shenmue.

Maybe some people will say... "It's easy, he can complete Shenmue whenever he wants, all he needs to do is to tell the Shenmue story in book form for the Shenmue community."

i think is not a easy decision for him to finish Shenmue in other form, if it was an easy decision for him, he would probably have done it already, and like i said in other post Yu-san is not here to please our needs and desires.

I really believe Yu-san wants to continue and finish Shenmue the way he started, in game form, and i believe he is probably trying his best to achieve that.

I think a good sign is that Yu-san said he still making games, YS NET released Air Twister for Apple Arcade, and at the end of the year YS NET will release Air Twister for consoles and PC, we will see more games from YS NET? i hope so, all i know is that i will support Yu Suzuki/YS NET.

LetsGetShenmue4 ❤️

These were my thoughts, too.
They weren't going to announce S3 while promoting Wanted through last year up until release (and for a while post-release).
We may see an announcement from them toward the end of the year or next if they are involved.
It would give Yu plenty of time to be working on the game in the meantime as well.
I’d be very surprised if 110 Industries announces Shenmue 4. The guy who was actively teasing a collaboration with YS Net (Sergei) is no longer with the company and they seem to have completely abandoned Wanted: Dead (they keep saying that a patch is in the works, but it has been almost six months now).

This is rollercoaster of emotions.
My theory, not backed by any source is S4 being made without any 110 involvement but other big names from the Oasys venture. Remember that Square Enix is also global publisher so this would mean: No Disclose clausules. And both Square and YS are into AI toying, so add more no disclose to the soup.

Wait a minute @WuyingRen is right and wasn't speaking with a gnome living on his shoulder. Take a look at Sergei Kolobashin LinkedIn profile.
Screenshot_2023-08-01-01-22-59-276_com.android.chrome~2.jpg
... He forgot adding trolling the Shenmue fanbase tho, but talks about carrying a rifle with him. Careful with this guy.

Back