Random Shenmue III Thoughts

It honestly looks better in many ways than many other PS4 games I've played. Maybe it's just UE4. Maybe I'm just a blind fanboy. I was definitely expecting WAY worse...
The envirements are good as hell bordering on great at times, the pop in and animations are not.

Id actually argue most of the npcs look fine, its how they are animated that makes them look wonk.

"It looks like a PS2 game" is a complaint I hear A LOT when it comes to this game.

If it was just a few people saying it, that's one thing, but MANY people are saying it. Are those people too young to remember PS2 or are they just ignorant? I just don't get it.

Wait for the 3 and 4s.

Doubt it'll get scores that low. Well, maybe from Giant Bomb. They hate Shenmue so god damn much... But other than that I don't see it.

A few 8's have started to show up which is real nice and I hope it continues. They have yet to appear on Metacritic though, strangely.

Anyway, for the 4's and lower, they need to fuck themselves with the moon.

Some of the animations that people mocked and became "memes" by the detractors (like Shenhua's glare) look much better in the final game. And haters not believing that the animation was work in progress when we told them back then, what a joke.

I still believe the english dub was a colossal mistake. Not only it costed money (that could've been used to give more content to the game, which seems to be lacking at some point), but it hurt the game credibility as I'm already seeing a few meme popping here and left.

Some of the animations that people mocked and became "memes" by the detractors (like Shenhua's glare) look much better in the final game. And haters not believing that the animation was work in progress when we told them back then, what a joke.

I remember the ridicule it got when that first trailer showed up. The one that was rushed... I tried telling everyone that it was a WIP but few would listen. They judged the game right then and there. If you look back at that trailer now, the difference is MASSIVE. I don't think I have ever seen a game improve its graphics so much from its first trailer to its last.

here it is if y'all want a reminder of how far we've come. That Shenhua.. Ugh.

I remember the ridicule it got when that first trailer showed up. The one that was rushed... I tried telling everyone that it was a WIP but few would listen. They judged the game right then and there. If you look back at that trailer now, the difference is MASSIVE. I don't think I have ever seen a game improve its graphics so much from its first trailer to its last.

here it is if y'all want a reminder of how far we've come. That Shenhua.. Ugh.

Yes, I remember people on that other forum INSISTING that people claim these things will change are always wrong.

I still believe the english dub was a colossal mistake. Not only it costed money (that could've been used to give more content to the game, which seems to be lacking at some point), but it hurt the game credibility as I'm already seeing a few meme popping here and left.
The japanese dub killed my enjoyment of shenmue 2, so no english dub no buy from me and I wouldn't think twice about it.

I agree, it feels like the translation of things too just doesnt make sense especially when im listening to the Japanese and can hear they are saying something else. Theres alot of talent in the dub and it feels like they directed them to sound as shit as possible to replicate the older games but replicating something bad on purpose doesn't produce the same charm.

There are a few parts where it sounds like corey marshal is trying to give ryo more nuance too but they are making him be as bland as possible.

I'm one of those players that likes Shenmue in part because of the English dub. Sure, I had a good laugh at them when I was a kid playing the first two, but in a very charming, endearing sort of way. The same lives on here.
As for the sub vs. dub thing, a lot of people call even brilliant English language performances (not this game, but other things) bad because they only accept Japanese audio, period, which I personally find ridiculous. Anything that someone can't understand or pick up the nuances of would sound better since one wouldn't even notice the flaws or awkwardness in the delivery that natives would. I play things in English audio as much as possible nowadays (opposite of a few years ago) if only because I've grown weary and want to go against the tide of so many people boasting that they don't like to play games in the language they actually understand. All seems silly to me.

The only issue I have with the english dub is that Corey Marshall is self-aware that he's not supposed to do a good job and tries his hardest to sound terrible. It works sometimes and then other times you can just tell he was flubbing on purpose. Other than that, it is gloriously terrible - just the way I wanted it!

"It looks like a PS2 game" is a complaint I hear A LOT when it comes to this game.

If it was just a few people saying it, that's one thing, but MANY people are saying it. Are those people too young to remember PS2 or are they just ignorant? I just don't get it.

Yeah dude, I actually play PS2 games (was playing GTA SAN Andreas and Resident Evil 4 recently). They have no idea what they’re talking about

Me and my wife laughed our heads off at Corey's first 'I see' last night. All part of the charm. I for one would love to see the series through with Corey as Ryo's VA.

I agree, even though I play with the Japanese dub.

The envirements are good as hell bordering on great at times, the pop in and animations are not.

Id actually argue most of the npcs look fine, its how they are animated that makes them look wonk.
It's mostly the environments, but there are characters who look really good. For instance, the fat afro dude at the very beginning has an incredibly detailed face.

Back