Random Shenmue III Thoughts

For the record, Yakuza 0 on PC sold over 300k units despite being a late release. But you're right, Shenmue is a niche market on PC based on the remaster (although it didn't sell well either elsewhere). But that's a market with a huge growth potential, if they do things right. As of right now, they're not.
It was released at a 20$/€ pricepoint, right? I mean, once Shenmue III drops on Steam they could release at this price and increase sales from people that don't use EGS. But again, I think they will not be able to think a good marketing plan when that happen

I think it's a shame that due to the circumstances of this games production, the talking points are all about the technical aspects of the game and the speculation of story and characters is kind've lost. I remember the hype train for games like Metal Gear Solid 4 and V and Death Stranding's current one, how everyone is speculating on what's next, who we will fight, what certain theories will be false or be true. It's a shame we haven't really had the chance to do that at least to a bigger extent than we have.

It's a shame the gameplay reveals (which I think ordinarily would have been huge news for a lot of the gaming media, especially with those who were concerned it was basically vapourware up until now) have been drowned out by all the Epic stuff. Even the trailer seemed to be ignored. I bet a lot of casual gamers who are sort of following Shenmue 3 out of curiosity to see how it turns out aren't even aware there has been gameplay shown.

Yes, I agree.
To be fair, it must be really difficult to stand out at and event like E3. Where all the big AAA titles are being shown.
And with all this Epic Store drama, almost all the coverge Shenmue 3 had from Youtubers was negative.
Lets hope that all this dust setles soon and is almost totally forgoten closer to release.
Hopefully all the positivity sorrounding the game will take over, and then we can enjoy a successfull laouch with favourable reviews!

i think a lot of people are just seeing the bad side right now and nothing else but there is a huge positive side.

... i mean if we just for fun erase Deep Silver from this development timeline,
Shenmue 3 would not look like it does now.
without Deep Silver (and probably Epic) there would have been no extra delays, no extra budget,
no second studio to help YS Net out with the characters, no extra NPCs, no bigger ingame world.

you know, i get that people are mad and all but on the other hand
i really really really really doubt that we would be happier without Deep Silver
because there is a super high chance that the final game would not look like it does now.

do we really want to deny the help from Deep Silver and then be happy with a 7 mil Kickstarter game?

i think a lot of people are just seeing the bad side right now and nothing else but there is a huge positive side.

... i mean if we just for fun erase Deep Silver from this development timeline,
Shenmue 3 would not look like it does now.
without Deep Silver (and probably Epic) there would have been no extra delays, no extra budget,
no second studio to help YS Net out with the characters, no extra NPCs, no bigger ingame world.

you know, i get that people are mad and all but on the other hand
i really really really really doubt that we would be happier without Deep Silver
because there is a super high chance that the final game would not look like it does now.

do we really want to deny the help from Deep Silver?

Because the bad side right now is scummy as fuck. It's not about money right now. The whole issue can be fixed in 1 hour, for FREE.

Because the bad side right now is scummy as fuck. It's not about money right now. The whole issue can be fixed in 1 hour, for FREE.

okay, then lets look at it from two sides.
now the PC community is super angry BUT there is a high chance that we will get a very good Shenmue 3 experience.
a better game than even Suzuki expected.
for everyone! (if you are willing to play it with the Epic launcher)

now lets erase Deep Silver from this project.
Suzuki would have to work with just the money from Kickstarter (+ whatever investmens they have from Shibuya).
again, way less NPCs, no extra delays for polishing, no second studio, smaller game world
and the graphics quality from one or two years ago. that would be the final product.
for everyone!

how satisfied would we be with all of those handikaps?
would the comments really be more positive?

ee26e66b0d.png

It really warms my heart to see Brutalmoose (who only recently played through the games for the first time) turn into such a genuine Shenmue fan. From watching his streams, you can tell right away that it just clicked with him. Proof that you don't need nostalgia to be a Shenmue fan.

What do you think about the map on the left side corner? I would have probably left it out. Would have been cool to see a normal map where there is no indications where you currently are and you actually would have to pin point yourself from the map using the streets and terrains to get the idea of the area. One of the coolest things in shenmue was to search and get lost in the huge world imo.

I anticipate that Shenmue 3 will receive a great deal polish and refinement over the coming months. As it is, I notice a massive difference in the quality of the facial animations from the Magic trailer to now. If you look at the facial animations of the Magic trailer you will notice clipping between the neck and jaw law when the characters were speaking. Compare that to what we've seen at E3 and the issue is now fully resolved.

YSNet will soon approach crunch time and any remaining issues will be flushed out.

Yesterday, I finally played a part of the disc 4 segment from Shenmue 2 on ps4. I can't wait to walk around in this area in Shenmue III. I'm sure it will be just as magical.:D I also thought the 16:9 aspect ratio and 1080p was really beneficial here.

The stealing line is just so, so dumb. Yeah dude Yu Suzuki stole millions of dollars to spend four years living in his office, under immense pressure, not seeing his family, because he felt an obligation to fans who wanted another Shenmue. Isn't the point of stealing to make your life better in some fashion? Nobody ever thinks this shit through before they say it, never ever. He didn't have any fame or fortune to seek, nothing to prove, and previously had a rule about not making Shenmue III unless the conditions were perfect. A deep sense of obligation to fans brought him back.

I hope Yu-san has a thick skin or his handlers are keeping him insulated from the personal attacks, because they're flooding even to his personal Twitter account. Dude has had a smile every photo I've seen of him at E3 though.
This is the moment where I started to lose a lot of sympathy for the detractors. I agree there's a group of people who are not engaging in this kind of slander and hatred and have a legitimate grievance, but the hyperbole is really damaging their cause.

Petition for a refund, for a Steam Key, sue who you need to sue, but when you move past that you have serious issues. I agree people are hijacking the legitimate anger and turning this into something else.

Back