Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I didn't know that we have a Fighting Games God in the forum with the absolute truth with him and everybody else in the world is wrong because His word is the only truth. So 3D Fighting are shit because you said so. Sometimes I really hope there was a mute option in the forum to stop reading stupid stuff like that, just ignore absolute senseless proclaims and made up info taken from nowhere and without any text backing it.

I think the problem might just be you suck at the games :p

The Virtua Fighter games are fighting perfection.

Damn straight! I would even go as far as to say the reason we haven't seen VF6 is because VF5 is perfection :D

I didn't know that we have a Fighting Games God in the forum with the absolute truth with him and everybody else in the world is wrong because His word is the only truth. So 3D Fighting are shit because you said so. Sometimes I really hope there was a mute option in the forum to stop reading stupid stuff like that, just ignore absolute senseless proclaims and made up info taken from nowhere and without any text backing it.

No, not 3D fighters ingeneral, but VF 1, and 2 are definitely shit. Those VFs aren't even good as far as slow paced fighters go.

The SC games are great, even the 1st one, so no I'm not hating on it for just being 3D(I also like the PS 2 era DBZ games, they were great as well).

The heck, VF2 is about as far away as being a bad fighting game as possible. That thing was a technical marvel back in the day (especially the Saturn port) and through Yakuza 5, Kiwami 2 (and soon to be RGG7) I get to relive it over and over. Its an amazing game. No doubt.

I do find after a while a fighting game will reach it's peak and then struggle to know where to go next, this happened with Soul Calibur II IMO the game was pretty much perfect & since then the series has been very uninspiring. One fighting series which gets very overlooked is the Dead or Alive series, breasts aside the combat mechanics are actually very impressive and even though a few recent characters have become over the top, I feel the combat isn't borderline silly - Like recent Tekken's with it's robot girls and juggling (Tekken 3/TTT Are easily my favourite fighting games of all time). But DoA5 Last Round on PS4 is so good, that I have no incentive to buy into DoA6 - Maybe when there's a complete Edition but DLC in Fighting games is a whole different topic...

The heck, VF2 is about as far away as being a bad fighting game as possible. That thing was a technical marvel back in the day (especially the Saturn port) and through Yakuza 5, Kiwami 2 (and soon to be RGG7) I get to relive it over and over. Its an amazing game. No doubt.

<high five> VF 2 was my childhood :D VF 2 is still fucking good...to this day! Absolutely incredible game that I often find myself going back to.

For me, it's Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Street Fighter and (maybe) the later Mortal Kombat's that make up my Mount Rushmore of the greatest fighting games of all time.

VF has a particular rythm to it, but once you figure it out...it's brilliant. VF2 for instance is tough, but incredibly fair once you figure out what punishes what.

Last edited:
Hell no, and no I'm not talking about the console ports either. A 2D fighter that plays great, trumps a sluggish, and floaty 3D fighter any day.

Me and my friends were huge fighting genre fans in the 90s, and early 2,000s.

we use to play SF games all the time, and when we went to arcades, we played Tekken 2 all the time. On day we say a VF or VF 2 machine there(I think it was 2), so we stopped playing Tekken 2 to check it out. We played a few matches, then went this sucks, back to Tekken 2.

Don't get me wrong, VF 1, and 2 are important landmark tech demos, they deserve their spot in the hall of fame, and all that, but they are 100% trash, when it comes to being a function fighting game.

Smooth/fast animations, and responsive controls is what matters, who gives a damn It's 3D, if it plays like trash.

PS. I'm not 100% about Shenmue 1, but I heard that Shenmue 2 used a improved prototype of VF 3.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but VF 2 is absolutely not trash.

YOU DON'T LIKE IT. That does not equal a bad game.

Furthermore, did you actually compare Tekken 2, a mediocre to death game, to VF2, which is still one of the 10 greatest 3D fighters ever made? Tekken 3, sure, that was the landmark title in that series, but 2?

I don't wish to discuss this further, but you shouldn't trash other games just because you don't like them.

Someone call the Smithsonian... the very first arcade game they included in their collection has been cut down to size!

Clearly you didn't read my post, because I even said it deserves its place. It's a huge step up in tech for sure, but it doesn't work as a game. It's a tech demo, that Sega put in a arcade cabinet.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but VF 2 is absolutely not trash.

YOU DON'T LIKE IT. That does not equal a bad game.

Furthermore, did you actually compare Tekken 2, a mediocre to death game, to VF2, which is still one of the 10 greatest 3D fighters ever made? Tekken 3, sure, that was the landmark title in that series, but 2?

I don't wish to discuss this further, but you shouldn't trash other games just because you don't like them.

Tekken 2 is infinitely better then VF. VF feels like the supposed player character, was dipped into a tar pit, yet still trying to fight.

No its not... the sheer depth of the fighting mechanics and moves in the FIRST game, let alone the second...

Again, I'm biting my tongue (I WILL NOT respond to this anymore), but dude it is easily the deepest fighter made in the 90s, pre SC and it still to this day, puts a ton of games to shame.

Stop.

No its not... the sheer depth of the fighting mechanics and moves in the FIRST game, let alone the second...

Again, I'm biting my tongue (I WILL NOT respond to this anymore), but dude it is easily the deepest fighter made in the 90s, pre SC and it still to this day, puts a ton of games to shame.

Stop.
I can feel your pain, I feel exactly the same way. I am still discovering strategies and moves every time I play it in Kiwami 2, and I played a lot back in the day in the PC port. VF2 is not just solid, is great.

I do find after a while a fighting game will reach it's peak and then struggle to know where to go next, this happened with Soul Calibur II IMO the game was pretty much perfect & since then the series has been very uninspiring. One fighting series which gets very overlooked is the Dead or Alive series, breasts aside the combat mechanics are actually very impressive and even though a few recent characters have become over the top, I feel the combat isn't borderline silly - Like recent Tekken's with it's robot girls and juggling (Tekken 3/TTT Are easily my favourite fighting games of all time). But DoA5 Last Round on PS4 is so good, that I have no incentive to buy into DoA6 - Maybe when there's a complete Edition but DLC in Fighting games is a whole different topic...

Definitely agree with you on fighting games seemingly just reaching a peak and then never being able to surpass that game.

Soul Calibur is a good example, although I think I actually find the first Calibur game is slightly better than the second (discounting Soul Blade, before someone points it out).

<high five> VF 2 was my childhood :D VF 2 is still fucking good...to this day! Absolutely incredible game that I often find myself going back to.

For me, it's Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Street Fighter and (maybe) the later Mortal Kombat's that make up my Mount Rushmore of the greatest fighting games of all time.

VF has a particular rythm to it, but once you figure it out...it's brilliant. VF2 for instance is tough, but incredibly fair once you figure out what punishes what.
For me its SF, Capcom's Vs series, VF and KOF for my four best fighter series (though that's not to say MK and Tekken aren't great, I just especially love the 90s 2D fighters!)

To call VF2 a tech demo is a terrible insult! I have played VF2 on my Saturn for so many countless hours. It was then and still is a masterpiece. You are making me want to play the Saturn port today to experience its greatness again. It is Tekken that I really do not like much with its over-the-top style to make up for its lack of depth.

[...]Sometimes I really hope there was a mute option in the forum to stop reading stupid stuff like that, just ignore absolute senseless proclaims and made up info taken from nowhere and without any text backing it.

Good news for you, there is an Ignore option when you look at their profile pop-up window while hovering their screen name on a post.

If VF and VF2 are JuSt TeCh DeMoS iN CaBiNeTs, then I guess Shenmue ch1 is just a tech demo sold on GDrom.

Also, Shenmue is an in-between amalgamation of VF2 and VF3. Last--don't hurt me--I prefer VF3 the best, which is considered somewhat sacrilege amongst VF fans? My inner Dreamcast bias shone through. Along with JSRF, Gun Valkyrie, Toe Jam 3 and Super Monkey Ball; VF4 was the one game I wished Dreamcast had last only one to two more years for.....

Last--don't hurt me--I prefer VF3 the best, which is considered somewhat sacrilege amongst VF fans? My inner Dreamcast bias shone through.

VF3 is a wonderful fighting game. It was true to the roots of what made VF so appealing to me. It's a thinking man's fighting game. VF5 takes the cake tho.

Back