Project Update #104: Shenmue 3 by Ys Net

What do you guys suggest Ysnet deep silver and we as a community do moving forward? Clearly we all have to work together to shift the series back into a positive light.

We can debate all day about semantics but when we all put our heads together. Sh*t gets done.

Preorder bonus for all backers.
Season pass for all 80 dollars+ backers.
Give me my access to the demo earlier. Trust me, once I churn out 8k downsampled to 4k screenshots, they wont regret it.

Everyone, just contact Ys Net about this and any other issues you have. Strength in numbers. They couldn't ignore the Epic debacle and I'm sure you can force your hand on this. Too bad the damage is already done. Now, if only they could ban lying trolls from the page.

Now people in the Kickstarter comments are lying about stuff like the fishing mini game being locked behind DLC.

What a fucking horror show that page is. Can't wait until the new -era thread.
I've just called them out on it. Waiting for the flames in 3....2....1....

Just to clarify, I backed Bloodstained at the $28 tier, the lowest amount that would entitle you to the game itself as a reward. I received digital copies of both the main game and Curse of the Moon (the retro game), but not the DLC.

It ended up being a good deal, as both games at full price come out to a total of about $50 and I got them for $28. However, the exact same thing can be said for people who backed Shenmue III at the $29 tier. They are getting a copy of the full game for $29, while non-backers have to pay $50-$60 for it.

The Bloodstained campaign was far from perfect. First of all, it took almost two weeks after its official release for them to generate console codes for Curse of the Moon. So while anyone could play the game for $10, backers had to wait. Secondly, the Wii U, Vita, Mac, and Linux versions of the game were outright cancelled (which hilariously seemed to generate far less outrage than Shenmue III going Epic-exclusive for a year). On top of all that, some backers were pretty angry when it was announced that their backer-exclusive DLC would be available to anybody for $10.

I've just called them out on it. Waiting for the flames in 3....2....1....
I see where the 'lie' originated. It looks like someone was obviously trolling and people of course ran with it. Unfortunately, we all know how this shit goes.

Buleabout 8 hours ago
It's now been locked behind an unscaleable paywall, Sean. Please spread this mistruth until it becomes accepted as fact. Thank you.

Clearly meant to wind people up, but people aren't too bright.

I see where the 'lie' originated. It looks like someone was obviously trolling and people of course ran with it. Unfortunately, we all know how this shit goes.

Fuck me sideways and people run with it.

Why do people even attempt to poison something so blatantly.

When the game comes and blows people away we will have the last laugh

I'd love to see the percentage of people who actually genuinely care about pre-order content.

People are making it out to be a massive essential addition to the game but unless I'm missing something it's just an outfit and a technique scroll? I don't get the hype around it.

99% probably.

In most cases, the reason it's not in the core game, is because it's unnecessary, frivolous crap that no one gives a shit about, but is presented in a way that sounds appealing to those on the fence, especially to completionists who don't want to miss out on any content.

The 'starter pack' type content is the worst kind of pre-order DLC ever thought up (and that's one of the ones being offered through Shenmue 3 pre-prders).

I'll tell you exactly what the starter pack will be. It'll be a few health and stamina drinks/food and maybe a couple of other helpful items, all of which can be purchased in-game anyways.

I hate starter packs, because it's just fucking lazy.

I just have to ask something. When is it enough? How many demands should these companies capitulate to before you think fans have gone too far? Let's say they give out these season passes, the demo, and preorder bonuses do you really think that's going to satisfy people? I mean it isn't enough that backers are getting exclusive and better content than non-backers. It isn't enough that they tried resolving the Epic issue. It isn't enough that we're getting a game we've been pining over for eighteen years become a reality. So why is this time any different?

Remember this?

If anything all that'll happen is that the mob will make a controversy out of something else. I mean someone just mentioned the fishing minigame supposedly being locked behind DLC. It doesn't end and I doubt it'll generate good PR. The mindset will simply just be "They're only doing this now because we called them out on it! That doesn't make them a good company!" And then watch as they simply don't buy your product. I also guarantee you that this game is going to be review bombed on Metacritic regardless of any good-faith gesture attempted by Ys Net.

All this controversy did was give ammunition to opportunists who hate Epic. Some bridges have just been burned by this point.

Last edited:
I feel most of these people are looking for something to be outraged on. I want them gone from our environment. Hopefully, they will be when they get their refunds.

They are toxic to the extreme and are actively attempting to obfuscate the potentially good things happening with this game. Excluding those among them who may have an actual reason to feel pissed, they are acting like big kids.

The 'starter pack' type content is the worst kind of pre-order DLC ever thought up (and that's one of the ones being offered through Shenmue 3 pre-prders).

I'll tell you exactly what the starter pack will be. It'll be a few health and stamina drinks/food and maybe a couple of other helpful items, all of which can be purchased in-game anyways.

I hate starter packs, because it's just fucking lazy.
I completely agree. I absolutely hate that crap. My "bonus" for pre-ordering the game is making it easier and not giving me the full experience of playing the game the way it was intended? No thanks.

Red Dead Redemption 2 was an especially egregious example of this. Just look at all the extra crap they gave you for the pre-order bonus, including one of the best horses in the game. I don't want my game to be that easy. I just want to play it the way it was designed before they came up with all these "bonuses" as a marketing scheme. I still haven't even played my launch copy of that game, but when I do I don't even intend to redeem my pre-order bonus at all. I would use cheat codes if I wanted to start the game with a bunch of stuff that should be earned through the natural progression of the game.

I completely agree. I absolutely hate that crap. My "bonus" for pre-ordering the game is making it easier and not giving me the full experience of playing the game the way it was intended? No thanks.

Red Dead Redemption 2 was an especially egregious example of this. Just look at all the extra crap they gave you for the pre-order bonus, including one of the best horses in the game. I don't want my game to be that easy. I just want to play it the way it was designed before they came up with all these "bonuses" as a marketing scheme. I still haven't even played my launch copy of that game, but when I do I don't even intend to redeem my pre-order bonus at all. I would use cheat codes if I wanted to start the game with a bunch of stuff that should be earned through the natural progression of the game.

I completely agree. I never install/use those starter pack type of bonuses. Hell, I can probably count the number of pre-order bonuses I've bothered to redeem on one hand (and I pre-order/buy a lot of games).

Welcome to 2019 where we're arguing over the bollocks company execs thought up in an attempt to entice people into pre-ordering games.

This is probably just a Sony problem, but sometimes you can't even uninstall or delete those small DLC items on PS4. So, sometimes I fear even redeeming the code because it might end up permanently installed on my PSN account and I would be stuck with the game like that. It would be nice if the developers would include a toggle in the options of the game itself, as that would remedy the situation.

I completely agree. I never install/use those starter pack type of bonuses. Hell, I can probably count the number of pre-order bonuses I've bothered to redeem on one hand (and I pre-order/buy a lot of games).

Welcome to 2019 where we're arguing over the bollocks company execs thought up in an attempt to entice people into pre-ordering games.

Starter pack sucks. But as for the training Kenpogi... Well, I have a high suspicion it might be this one:

That green outfit. And sorry as meaningless as it sounds.. it also looks cool as fuck.

Sorry. This is 100% my fault. I was being incredibly sarcastic, in mockery of people complaining about every little thing.

I've been commenting on the Kickstarter almost daily for the past 4 years. Just like you guys have a crew here, my crew is kind of there. I was just having a joke with a friend there and it got out of hand. To me, when I read it, it seemed obvious at the time that I was making it all up and being totally sarcastic. I was trying to make a point as well about people not just blindly believing all the bullshit that they read and to think for themselves. But before I got to write that bit, I got called out somewhere and didn't have my phone. By the time I got back, a couple of people had like you say run with it, and I saw that it had become just another bunch of shitposts in a sea of shitposts.

I assure you, my intentions were decent, but misguided.

I apologise to you all.

Sorry. This is 100% my fault. I was being incredibly sarcastic, in mockery of people complaining about every little thing.
I apologise to you all.

What you need to do is make a similar post declaring that you've just discovered that Shenmue backers will not be receiving copies of Death Stranding, and instruct everyone to pile onto Kojima, thus taking the heat off of us.

I've been commenting on the Kickstarter almost daily for the past 4 years. Just like you guys have a crew here, my crew is kind of there. I was just having a joke with a friend there and it got out of hand. To me, when I read it, it seemed obvious at the time that I was making it all up and being totally sarcastic. I was trying to make a point as well about people not just blindly believing all the bullshit that they read and to think for themselves. But before I got to write that bit, I got called out somewhere and didn't have my phone. By the time I got back, a couple of people had like you say run with it, and I saw that it had become just another bunch of shitposts in a sea of shitposts.

I apologise to you all.

While the apology is appreciated, don’t apologize to us, go to Kickstarter and explain the situation there. The last thing we need right now is an unverified rumor tarnishing the series further.

I apologise to you all.
I got what you were doing because I actually read your post and apparently still have a couple brain cells left. No worries, dude.

What you need to do is make a similar post declaring that you've just discovered that Shenmue backers will not be receiving copies of Death Stranding, and instruct everyone to pile onto Kojima, thus taking the heat off of us.

Someone needs to bring up loot boxes being in the new Star Wars game. After the Battlefront 2 fiasco, that should keep controversy chasers busy for the next 6 months.

While the apology is appreciated, don’t apologize to us, go to Kickstarter and explain the situation there. The last thing we need right now is an unverified rumor tarnishing the series further.

Ok, I've posted an explanation, hopefully it will help me right the wrong I've done here a little bit.

Back