Problems with Fangmei Birthday Event

Hi Everyone.

I need help with the Fangmei Birthday Event in Shenmue II. I have finished this game multiple times on the Dreamcast and on PS4/PS5 with the remastered versions, and I have never been able to do this event properly. Now I am trying to do it again and I need help. The first step is already done because Fangmei already calls me Ryo-chan. After that I met Eileen at Pigeon Park. And after that i had a conversation with both Eileen and Fangmei inside the Man Mo Bistro. The problems start here because when I follow Eileen after she leaves the Man Mo Bistro, she doesn´t stop at any vase shop. So I can´t talk with her about Fangmei´s birthday. She simply goes again to Pigeon Park and stands there. And when I talk to her, she tells me that she doesn´t have time to talk with me. And to make things worse, when Fangmei leaves the Man Mo Bistro, she goes to Man Mo Temple and not to the Complete Clothier. And I need her to go to the Complete Clothier so I can talk with her and buy her present afterwards. What am i doing wrong? In my game, the date is January 20, 1987. Is too soon for the event to work properly? To offer more context I can tell you that story wise, I have just recieved the lighter from Wong so i can enter and leave the Beverly Hills Wharf safely. And with Fangmei, I have already got the cutscene inside the Man Mo Bistro with the fight and the ladle. Any help? Thanks. And sorry for my bad english. I´m from Spain.

Hello, yes it's too soon to do it in january, Fangmei birthday is the 3 march and I read that you can only trigger Eileen at the vase shop after the 27 february or the 1 march.
About the story progression I heard that you mustn't meet Ren because you won't be able to go to wan chai after that anymore, but I never tried and maybe there is chance to do it while you have to say goodbye before going to kowloon, I don't know if Ryo trigger the goodbye with Xiuying on its own at the end of the day or if you can stay more days.

Ok. But with normal gameplay, is very improbable that you spend so much time in Hong-Kong. I like to spend time in the locations of the game. I do not rush things. But despite of that, by 20 january i have already met Ren. I think that is impossible the story arc of Hong-Kong to take so long. What do you do to pass the time? Is there any way to make the time goes faster? Thanks and again, sorry for my english.

If you don't use your save from shenmue1 to start shenmue2, shenmue2 start the 22 february so I guess they though players would finish shenmue1 later, but it don't feel like it give much time to take it slow and be on time for the birthday either to me.

I don't really know how you could quickly past the time at the point of the story you are, when I asked @Truck_1_0_1_ told me about failing the Zangui barber qte when searching for the Wude and @tomboz told me about using cheat engine to change the date of the game but I don't know much about it.

I also didn't do the birthday this time because I was too far from it even if I took it slow, I started shenmue2 the 22 january and wasn't going to wait a month unfortunately.

If you don't use your save from shenmue1 to start shenmue2, shenmue2 start the 22 february so I guess they though players would finish shenmue1 later, but it don't feel like it give much time to take it slow and be on time for the birthday either to me.

I don't really know how you could quickly past the time at the point of the story you are, when I asked @Truck_1_0_1_ told me about failing the Zangui barber qte when searching for the Wude and @tomboz told me about using cheat engine to change the date of the game but I don't know much about it.

I also didn't do the birthday this time because I was too far from it even if I took it slow, I started shenmue2 the 22 january and wasn't going to wait a month unfortunately.
Iirc somebody has already made a cheat engine table for the HD remasters, but if not, you can search for the date yourself quite easily.

First, check the actual date and then run a search for that number (ie, if it’s the fifth, search for 5). Then speed up time using CE’s built in speed hack or with the hex values for time (these will need to be found the same way the date is) to get to the next day. Once the date ticks over to the 6th, scan your previous results again to filter out any entries that didn’t change to 6. After repeating this process 2 or 3 times, you’ll have isolated the date value and can then go about finding the month value using the same method.

Once you have both, you’ll be able to change to any day and month you like simply by changing these two values to your desired date. The whole process shouldn’t take more than about five minutes.

OK. Thanks, tomboz and sbkodama for your answers. I didn´t know that if you don´t use the shenmue 1 save the game starts the 22 february. Maybe, the next time i play Shenmue II (in my actual playthrough i am already at Kowloon) i will do that. The trick of the barber is a good one. But i don´t understand anything about the hack that tomboz is talking about. What is CE? The Cheat Engine? Where can I get that engine? How it works exactly? Where i have to search for numbers? Thanks for all!!

Back