Premiering February 5th 2022 + New Trailer

The figure that we see in the plate at 0:47 sec of the japanese trailer is the mythological depiction of Chiyou.

Symbol of Chiyou.jpg

Here are some similar depictions that can found online.

Mythological Chiyou.jpg
Here is a link for more information about Chiyou.

My son is a big fan of the Naruto series and I'm currently watching Cobra Kai's Netflix series with him; he is currently at school but later I'm going show him this trailer to spark his interest in the series because he knows I'm a big fan.
Recently Martial Arts has sparked an interest in him so I think I can convince him to watch the series with me and make a new Shenmue Fan out of him; but still haven't convinced him to like carrots even though I've tried to give him the Iwao Hazuki speech at the dinner table.

Netflix's Cobra Kai series is recently having a big impact on this younger generation and I think that if we can get their attention into the Shenmue Anime as well we might get an even greater audience that can be attracted to the series and bring in a new generation of fans into the Shenmue Video Game Series.

Shenmue & Cobra Kai.jpg

yeah its gonna be a weekly rollout. they won't drop them all at once regardless if it wasn't airing on TV as this isn't like a Netflix build kinda deal with crunchyroll/funimation or any of the anime-like sites that air stuff.

Ahh thanks guys, what I know about Anime you could write on the back of a postage stamp but I am all in for anything Shenmue.

My comment was a bit blunt, but I just don't see Corey as a good actor. It never even occured to me that they would use any of the original cast. I get that it might seem harsh that Masaya kept the Japanese role, but at the end of the day, he is an actor who has had numerous roles and tons of anime gigs. Corey isn't and as much as I love how dedicated to the community he is, how down to earth he is and even his voice as Ryo in the games, I couldn't really envision him as Ryo in an anime adaption. I also thought he sounded kinda rough in Shenmue 3, if I'm being truthful.
Also, it seems more common in Japan for the same VA to be used for the same character for many years, and in various different mediums - take Sonic for example, he has had the same Japanese VA since Sonic Adventure in 1998, whereas the English actor has changed several times.

親父?! 親父!!!!!

I'm hyped.

It's hard not to feel bad for him considering he's done 3 games and been an active part of this franchise for 20 years, with alot of goodwill within the community. I for one appreciate everything he's done in linking with the fans over time.

However they've taken a different VO course and it does sound excellent. I think it was needed to dispel the "bad acting" thing (despite some being more than OK) and set a line that they've got a different creative direction. I'm all for it and most people I've seen seem to be. But they're expressing empathy for Corey. I don't see how that links.
This might be an extreme take but I really appreciate the support Corey has given over the Shenmue community. Even more so that he understands and has fun with all of the Shenmue memes and the "so bad it's good" English voice dub of the games. But since Corey isn't the voice of Ryo, I likely won't be watching the English Version of the Anime. I'm rocking with Corey all the way until the end and he will always have my full support.

That said I feel very bad that they casted the original Japanese voice actor and not Corey. The new english voice actor sounds really good, but Corey Marshall is the english Ryo Hazuki to me. I am very happy that they did get Masaya for the JP dub and it gives a warm sense of familiarity and a "coming home" vibe to this anime.

I still hope Corey comes back for Shenmue IV and V.

I never expected to have any of the original cast back for this project. Getting that out of the way dam both of those trailers simply look excellent. Some random observations by me: I'm very interested to find out the length of each episode 30 minutes or possibly a hour? Also I wonder how the games stories will be split up? I would do 6 for the first one and 7 for the second. I love the pink payphone nod. No images of Xiuying yet. Does anyone have any clips of what Nozomis English vo sounds like? Is it just me or is the tiger from Ryos jacket missing? I'm liking how they changed up some of the scenes and areas from where they originally took place in the game. No Megumi or kitten. Is it just me or is the lighting causing the color on Nozomis shirt to look different on the motorcycle ride back then the original?

That English Lan Di is ooof not good I think. All in all this is shaping up to look phenomenal can't wait til the 5th.

This seems to be shaping up quite nicely; I'll watch it. Four quick thoughts:

-While I still view this anime largely on pragmatic terms (i.e., build the fanbase, get it all done), it does appear to be a very gripping and tightly wound presentation. The anime has the perfect situation: choose from the plethora of content in the first two games to offer a great balance of the mundane and the action packed-- no need to create filler (Looking at you, DBZ).

-Also in terms of this pragmatism, I couldn't care less about voice actors so long as they sound good. I think they do. As many players can and have played Macbeth convincingly over the centuries, I'll take any good performance of Lan Di or Ryo.

-What excites me most, as is likely the case for many of us, are these little details that help flesh out the story (e.g., it appears that Ryo's running home to get back in time for practice.) Even if things are rearranged in the anime, we get a fuller picture of the story.

-Esp. given this somewhat surprisingly early release date, I'm anticipating no S4 announcement at the end (given development in relation to COVID). I say that not out of pessimism, but to keep the very Stoicism Shenmue taught this former idealistic teen ;). I want to be proven wrong, of course!

The only thing I'm lightly concerned about is the pacing. Idk if anyone here saw the Ace Attorney anime, but that also showed tons of promises. But then everyone realised it couldn't keep up with the length of the games and a lot of the emotional value fell flat. Is there any word on how long each episode will be?

Also, is it a lighting thing or are they turning Shingo white for no reason?

20.png

Hi guys, whats the best way to support this? Do i buy a subscription somewhere?

Thanks for information guys. I will sign up and pay before the premiere and hopefully influx of new subscriptions and views can help the franchise.
Was thinking about that too; maybe CR will see all of us subscribe and then let YS and company know that...

Hate being super-late to the party always, but while I grinned a massive grin when I saw the English trailer before bed last night, seeing the Japanese Trailer just now has my hype through the roof :D:D:D:D:D

The only thing is that they haven't shown a lick of 'mue II yet (or have they and did I just miss it?)

Could that mean that it isn't completed yet? (doubt that) Or could it be that they plan to take a break in the season, so they aren't spoiling it? Would love to know why it didn't show up...

Myanimelist finally accepted the anime listing! Go add the anime to your plan to watch section and get those numbers up!

Myanimelist finally accepted the anime listing! Go add the anime to your plan to watch section and get those numbers up!
What's the actual importance of this btw? Might put the call out on the Dojo's social media if it's super vital.

Back