PC Gamers...what are you doing?

It's Shenmue III. I repeat, Shenmue III. This is bigger than a launcher. I built a PC and would have preferred Steam, sure, but again it's SHENMUE III. Think of it as a Shenmue launcher at this rate, it's not life ending. There's no way I'm not enjoying this game at it's highest fidelity at 4K/60 locked because of a launcher. I built this PC for various reasons, but Shenmue III was always in mind. After 18 years I wanted the absolute best experience and I won't let my investment go to waste over a... launcher. If you're on PC you use Discord to be social anyway, not the launchers communications. Download it with the rest of us, you'll be glad you did.
I'm the first one to agree Epic Store is literally trash, but props to you for building a PC to enjoy the best Shenmue III experience.

It's not an overreaction to call the Epic Games Store spyware. On using it, it finds and accesses a large number of things, including but not limited to Steam account information and internet browsing history.

It seems that most people don't care about shoving your sensitive information into the hands of faceless corporations. That's fine, good for you.

I just think it would be really, really great if you could stop attacking those of us who actually do care about this sort of thing every five minutes. I personally don't think it's an overreaction to not want my internet browsing history sent to god knows where. Just because you're okay with it, doesn't mean everyone else has yo be.

To OP:

Weigh up the alternatives. Your options are:

1. Download the Epic Games Store and Shenmue III. Your sale probably won't contribute towards revenue of Shenmue III (unless it sells really well on EGS somehow), and you'll have the privacy costs (whatever that's worth to you). However, you'll be playing it on your preferred platform without needing to purchase an alternative, and your sale will at least be counted to be used in consideration for funding future games from whoever decides to do so.

2. Buy a PS4 and Shenmue III. This is more expensive and not the platform you wanted, but will contribute towards revenue and not have anything resembling spyware.

3. Wait a year and get it on Steam.

4. Don't get Shenmue III.

Which one of these four is of highest value/lowest cost to you?

For what it's worth OP, I'm not a big fan of Epic either. But at the end of the day, I made an exception for Shenmue 3, and stuck with the PC version for my backer version. If you want to pirate the PC version to skirt around all that, I really don't have an issue personally (some will, of course). I'd just say that you should buy a PS4 copy and throw it on your shelf if you do.

Many people on here have already said just bite the bullet and get it on EGS. While I agree with them, and this should be your first option, I also understand if you have reservations about it.

I'll offer another solution that I haven't seen mentioned here: you can still play the game on PC without installing EGS directly on your computer, you can provision a VM to play the game. If you don't have a way of doing that, or the PC chops to run it, you can sign up for a free year of AWS trial and they'll let you build one free server/PC and run it for the year. You can then install EGS on your VM and not worry about it compromising your PC if that's the concern.

Meh Epic Game Store doesn’t bother me too much. I’ve still got the launcher downloaded on my PC from back when I tried (and failed) to get into Fortnite.

I don't know if this is the same for the full game but with the backer demo, I don't believe the Epic Games launcher had to be running to play the game. Once it's installed it's just on your PC and you can run it without DRM.

That was only for the demo though.

I've been using the Epic Games Launcher for about a year now and not only have I had zero problems with it, but I've also got a ton of free great games! They offer new free games every week. I've gotten all of the Batman Arkham games, Limbo, Inside, Overcooked, and many more.

In addition to this, Epic Games gives developers a bigger revenue share of the profits than Steam, and you can support content creators simply from purchasing games (like myself *cough*).

I just built a new PC a couple months ago and would love to play Shenmue 3 on it, but I switched my Kickstarter copies both to PS4. I have 4 PS4 copies incoming. I'll wait until it's on Steam before I buy.

If Epic is your only choice, I'd wait it out to see what kind of sale they have. Control has already been on sale. You can check cheapshark.com and set up a price notification for yourself. I imagine there will be some bugs too so probably no rush to jump in right away. If you've got other games to play, I'd go with those and wait for a sale.

Another thing to keep in mind is physical PS4 copies are already scheduled for half price on Black Friday. Maybe you'll get it for free on EGS if that's you're only platform.

You could also look for PS4 sales on Black Friday. They're pretty cheap.

www.cheapshark.com

I've been using the Epic Games Launcher for about a year now and not only have I had zero problems with it, but I've also got a ton of free great games! They offer new free games every week. I've gotten all of the Batman Arkham games, Limbo, Inside, Overcooked, and many more.

In addition to this, Epic Games gives developers a bigger revenue share of the profits than Steam, and you can support content creators simply from purchasing games (like myself *cough*).

Pretty much this.

Yes it lacks a bunch of features but overall I'm happy with it.

Back